So today I was offered a place in a friend of a friend's band. I've met the band before and they are nice enough people and from what I've heard their music is pretty good, but I have never been in a band before and I have no idea what kind of commitment they are looking for or what sort of time you have to invest in a band to make it work since all of my previous musical experience has been solo. At the moment I have plenty of spare time in which to attend practice sessions and even play gigs if it comes to that but in a few months that might not be the case although I should still have a little bit of free time.

So Pit, I come to you now with something that you are actually likely to have the knowledge to help me with. How much time do you lot put into your bands and how do you fit it around other commitments?

EDIT: A little more information.
The band want me to play bass, sing and MC.
They also might want to incorporate some hand drums which I will probably end up playing as well.
They are also happy for me to write some songs although the majority of the songwriting is already being done by one of the members.
And the reason I won't have much time later on is because my girlfriend is four months pregnant. Obviously the baby has priority over the band.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Dec 12, 2009,
The answer is always join band. If it isn't for ya then clearly music isn't for you.

I would dedicate every moment of my life to a band if it were possible. Take the opportunity when you can.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Last edited by AlterEdge at Dec 12, 2009,
Join. Then even if things don't work out, you've got some experience playing with a band, which is always good.
Quote by AlterEdge
The answer is always join band. If it isn't for ya then clearly music isn't for you.

There's much more to music than just bands.

Last time I was in a band we practiced once a week, as long as you have time to learn/write parts and can give one evening or day on the weekend every week then you should be fine.
If you have the time, its not a huge deal. Id say do it.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by AlterEdge

This, even if the band doesn't get big it will give some experience and an idea of what 2 expect in future bands
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
The last "serious" band I was in was a 100% commitment. It was my only employment, as it was for everybody else. It's hard to find that kind of commitment from one other person let alone 5. 'Tis the reason most bands go nowhere. It was our job. We practiced about 20 hrs a week and played another 20 or so. Full time job. Full time commitment.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by sporkman7
As long as its not a bigtime band and you dont have some big authority figure organizing everything, you should be fine. youll be able to organize practices with them and tell then when you can and cant go. id say join.

They aren't a bigtime band obviously but I know that they are looking for at least some degree of sucess, even if it is only local.

Also, I probably should have put a little more information about the situation in the first post. I'll get right on that.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by AlterEdge

I would dedicate every moment of my life to a band if it were possible. Take the opportunity when you can.

...Or just those people/style of music isn't for you!

I'm in a band at the minute, but we never have practise... So we're kind of a band, but without the music

In the summer we had a drummer & everything was working well with him, but then 3 of us started sixth form & he started university, & before then we practised in mid-week, but then we couldn't & he had practise with a different band on sundays & taught people on saturdays, so we've recently (like a month ago) got a new drummer... But we still need a place to practise, & apparently our new drummer doesn't have his own proper kit (think he has an electric one)

EDIT: I never really answered your question... So, join! Experience from bands is great!
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Joemofo
Join. Then even if things don't work out, you've got some experience playing with a band, which is always good.

This. You dont even have to actually join, you can jam with them and see if you guys click or not and then decide on if you want to join or not.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
This. You dont even have to actually join, you can jam with them and see if you guys click or not and then decide on if you want to join or not.

That is what I plan on doing at first. Obviously though the time will come when I will have to decide whether or not to commit and that is why I made this thread, to gauge the level of commitment a band requires.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread
That is what I plan on doing at first. Obviously though the time will come when I will have to decide whether or not to commit and that is why I made this thread, to gauge the level of commitment a band requires.

Well hopefully you're not 16 with a baby on the way. But I say that if these are good guys they'll understand if you're not able to practice all the time when the baby is born
Quote by IDread

That is entirely up to you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by JAHellraiser
Well hopefully you're not 16 with a baby on the way. But I say that if these are good guys they'll understand if you're not able to practice all the time when the baby is born

True enough. I know the drummer has two children so they should understand.

I'm 18 by the way.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by IDread
True enough. I know the drummer has two children so they should understand.

I'm 18 by the way.

Ahh, well at least your an adult. You just need to make sure you balance time between the two if you do join.