So how would I go about recording( I have no idea) with say audacity. Right now I have a powered mixer with oututs for recording.. A mic and an amp.. What do I do?
Schecter C-1 classic
Fender Blues Junior

EHX metal muff
Digitech Hardwire delay
Rockband mic (gotta record some how)

new guitar: $282/$500
If you have a powered mixer....it should have a line-out. If you can describe your set up in more detail......and you'll get better answers.

Type of computer.....computer interface (sound card, USB), type of powered mixer......etc.
Powreed mixers are for live use and the outputs run to passive speakers for a PA setup.
I would NOT run those outputs to a computer or you WILL burn up some cards.

See my videos in this thread and see Tweaks's Guide
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751253

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Idealy, You'll want an audio interface and will probably want to ditch the mixer.
I would also upgrade to Reaper instead of using Audacity. I have Tutorials on my youtube page, youtube.com/sonicorbstudios
Quote by moody07747
Powreed mixers are for live use and the outputs run to passive speakers for a PA setup.
I would NOT run those outputs to a computer or you WILL burn up some cards.

Of course you can use a powered mixer.........you just need to use an unamplified line-out (line-signal), such as the monitor line-out or control room line-out. I can't see wasting money if he already has equipment that can do the job.

He would still need to get some kind of interface for the computer though.
yea I know he can use the current mixer but I did want to make sure he wasn't putting the powered outs to the computer.

I don't see the point in using the mixer really as most interfaces have two preamped inputs already. Running without the mixer would not only cut down on noise but would give a better recording quality as well.

If he does need more than two inputs or goes with a cheaper interface with no preamps on board, then by all means, go with the record outs from the powered mixer.
Quote by moody07747
yea I know he can use the current mixer but I did want to make sure he wasn't putting the powered outs to the computer.

I don't see the point in using the mixer really as most interfaces have two preamped inputs already. Running without the mixer would not only cut down on noise but would give a better recording quality as well.

If he does need more than two inputs or goes with a cheaper interface with no preamps on board, then by all means, go with the record outs from the powered mixer.

Yeah.....I agree with you. The less things in the signal chain......the less floor noise.