What difference does it make aside from the number of frets? Is the neck a little longer on the 24 or are the frets smaller somehow?
they just extend off the 22nd fret, making smaller frets. the neck pickup is usually pushed down a little or there is a longer scale.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by s-a-t-r-i-a-n-i
What difference does it make aside from the number of frets? Is the neck a little longer on the 24 or are the frets smaller somehow?

It directly relates to the difference between a 24.75-inch scale neck and a 25.5-inch scale. Plus, most 24-fret guitars I've seen have jumbo or XJ frets, making the fretboard space in between each fret seem smaller.
It is just a longer fretboard. The scale is a completely different matter.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
use the searchbar..........wait `til namm js24 will be unveiled
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Dec 12, 2009,
I think it can slightly change the tone on the neck pickup. On 22/21 Fret guitars the pickup can sit just under where the 24th fret would be.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Yeah it changes the tone so that a harmonic node sits right above the neck pickup.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Harmonic node means sod-all really though because once you start playing, that position changes anyway.

The main key with the neck pickup being moved backwards is the tone of the neck pickup gets brighter, slightly weaker (in terms of output), but also ever so slightly more responsive to things like pinch harmonics and it won't be quite so muddy with chugging powerchords and heavy muting etc. It does also negatively effect sustain but only to a very small degree.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It directly relates to the difference between a 24.75-inch scale neck and a 25.5-inch scale. Plus, most 24-fret guitars I've seen have jumbo or XJ frets, making the fretboard space in between each fret seem smaller.

Whachoo talkin' bout Willis? Fret number is independent of scale length.
Quote by Vlasco
Whachoo talkin' bout Willis? Fret number is independent of scale length.

I don't think he was serious, well he's never serious. Surely he must be referencing something someone has said previously.
both are good, but its definitely nice to have the whole extra octave... i dont own a 24 fret guitar yet
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by azn_guitarist25
I don't think he was serious, well he's never serious. Surely he must be referencing something someone has said previously.

That´s why I put the first part, then clarified it so the TS wouldn´t be confused.
I have a question. In the distant future I'm planning on getting a Jackson Rhoads. Now I can't decide whether to get an RR24 Rhoads or a RR3 Rhoads. Cause the RR24 have 24 frets, but the extra frets replace the neck pickup. I'm really used to having 24 frets. All my electrics have 24.
<Insert Witty Quote Here>

Gear:
Jackson KE3 Kelly
Ibanez RG (never used)

Mesa Boogie 2 Channel Dual Rec.

Pedals:
Planet Waves Tuner
MXR 10 Band EQ (to enhance cleans)
ISP Noise suppressor
Boss DD-20
When you say 24.75 or 25.5 inch scale do you mean from the nut to the beggining of the bridge? Cause my strat is 25.5 inches there and it only has 21 frets
Quote by s-a-t-r-i-a-n-i
When you say 24.75 or 25.5 inch scale do you mean from the nut to the beggining of the bridge? Cause my strat is 25.5 inches there and it only has 21 frets

Yes scale length is nut to bridge - and no, amount of frets has nothing to do with scale length.