Ok, would it be possible to get a single coil sized humbucker, and then cover it up with a second cover (which looks like a single coil pickup) so it looks EXACTLY the same as an SSS strat?

Please don't say like oh just get a les paul, I just want to know whether this COULD be done

Thanks
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
it depends on what pickup. rails, no. something like a jb jr, im not sure if the plastic on those pop right off like on single coils. even it does, the single coil cover wont go all the way on and might screw up how high u want the pickup. plus itll look a lot worse than if u just had it uncovered.

and theres nothing wrong with single sized humbuckers. duncan hot rails and cool rails were my favorite pickups ever.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Dec 12, 2009,
they make single coil sized humbuckers but im not sure if you could put a normal single coil cover on it
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Well seeing as it wouldn't have the pole pieces, it would look a little weird.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
I got black Hot Rails and a white DiMarzio HS2 (single coil sized humbucker), and the guy who installed the pickups for me switched the white HS2 cover for a black one. Not sure if my info helps or not. =/
No, I mean, to stick six studs of metal on top so it looks like a single coil?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

i think that would look awful, to be honest. might look good at a distance, but i wouldn't do it to my own guitars.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i think that would look awful, to be honest. might look good at a distance, but i wouldn't do it to my own guitars.

+1
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Dimarzio makes many stacked humbuckers that look exactly like single-coils, poles and all. I've got a Dimarzio Virtual Solo in the bridge of my Strat - I got it for the same reason you did, the sound of a humbucker with the look of a Strat - and it works great. YJM uses an HS-3 in his bridge position.

all 3 are humbuckers.

you're looking for stacked dimarzios like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
er, not very appealing with the mismatch colors along with looks
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
You could always use the pickup covers off a Fender Mustang, since they don't show the pole pieces.
Quote by xDarrellx87x
er, not very appealing with the mismatch colors along with looks

yeah except it looks brilliant to me, so i never matched them.

and ts, stacked virtual vintage sound better than rails anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 12, 2009,
Ok these Dimarzio pickups seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I can get the right sound out of them though right? (think Led Zep, AC DC)

I mean to say, they're not just single coils without the hum, they've got the power and tone of humbuckers as well?

I'm gonna stick it in the bridge position of a strat, and then have two normal single coils middle and neck positions. This gonna work for me?

And can someone reccomend me the exact Dimarzio pickup I'm looking for? Thanks.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Dec 13, 2009,
a stacked pickup is not going to sound like a humbucker.

you have to compromise.
yeah, it'll be somewhere in between the sound of a single coil and a humbucker. not quite one, but not the other either. it'll give you hum canceling though, which is half the battle with single coils i think.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by al112987
a stacked pickup is not going to sound like a humbucker.

you have to compromise.

Yup.
I think you'd be better off with just some rail humbuckers.
Quote by stratd00d
Yup.
I think you'd be better off with just some rail humbuckers.

rail humbuckers dont sound just like humbuckers either.

and ts they all sound like really hot singles. the virtual vintage heavy blues is my favorite of the lot.
imo, they have a more full sound when compared to rails.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 13, 2009,
Ok, I may be way off, but will this pickup kind of make a strat sound more like a hot tele?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, I may be way off, but will this pickup kind of make a strat sound more like a hot tele?

yeah you're way off. stacked or rail single coils will be hotter and humcancelling. they can get you a decent sound for the bands you mentioned you like. will it sound just like jimmy page's les paul of angus young's sg no but with some amp tweking etc you should be able to get a decent approximation.
Page used a tele on most of his songs anyway, and your out of phase positions can decently reproduce humbucker leads. The most critical aspect is the amp, if you've already got a jcm 800 or jtm there's no problem here at all, except maybe getting higher output pups to handle the overdrive.

If not, you can always mod your strat to have a humbucker in it, or use a vst with pickup switching.
Quote by Plexi81
Page used a tele on most of his songs anyway, and your out of phase positions can decently reproduce humbucker leads. The most critical aspect is the amp, if you've already got a jcm 800 or jtm there's no problem here at all, except maybe getting higher output pups to handle the overdrive.

If not, you can always mod your strat to have a humbucker in it, or use a vst with pickup switching.
I wouldn't say that Page used a tele on most of his songs, he used it on all the songs on the first album, but his les paul became his main guitar after Led Zeppelin I was released. Even then, I wouldn't necessarily call the tones on Led Zep I telecaster tones, half of them sound like a les paul.