So today, i was at school. I told some of my guitar friends that i was getting a new guitar. They asked me which guitar that was. I said it was a high end rg (rg750) and it was awsome. one of them said, "dude get a les paul! ibanezes suck!" and all of them kept nagging me about how gibson les pauls have a really good tone and how american guitars are really awsome and stuff. Now im not against gibsons or american made guitars. However i have heard their quality control has been bad recently. Also saying "les pauls" are the best is really, really biased, cuz umm although they are good guitars, there are others that are good out there. Dont you think les pauls are overrated? I dont mean bad. I dont mean overpriced. I mean OVERRATED?
Les Pauls Suck! They are just bandwagon guitars.....I wanna be different.

Until I ended up holding one that felt like it was made just for me.
I dont like to say Never much when it comes to gear...

But never order one. I've never felt two different ones that seemed to be the same.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
YES. You just gained 5000 points in my book for posting this.

1) High end Japanese guitars are far superior to high end American guitars. Ex.: ESP & Ibanez > Gibson & Fender.
2) Everyone and their mom either owns a Les Paul, or a Strat, and it's really just annoying, because most of those people only have them because they are bombarded ever since they start playing that Gibson Les Pauls are hands down the best guitars in existence. I've played a Gibson, and I've played an Ibanez (not even a prestige, just a high end RG) and there was no comparison. The RG is much easier and faster to play, and they look way cooler. They also don't weigh more than you do.

*sigh* *end rant*
I love my LP studio. I mean, they might be overrated in thAt other guitars that are good are overlooked, but they are really great.

Quality control is a silly issue. Honestly, just don't buy one if te quality is less than it should be, and buy another one instead. Except for custom companies, sometimes one that's worse escapes (they're not going to toss it out, they know someone will buy it.)
I think LPs are over-rated, for sure, but so are RGs.

I also think everyone has a different opinion, however, so nothing is really 'overrated' on a wide scale basis to everyone. Some people believe it's worth $3k+ to get a well made LP from Gibson, someone else thinks an RG prestige is the best guitar for them, some people can just have a fender american strat, no mods, and be completely happy...while someone else gets a custom made Charvel guitar that cost them $6.7k to really make them happy.

It really just comes down to what you are comfortable playing, and what tones you like best.
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.
I think RG's are overrated as well. But in the end, whatever works for you right?

Edit: ^^ haha.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Last edited by McLeod at Dec 12, 2009,
YES. You just gained 5000 points in my book for posting this.

1) High end Japanese guitars are far superior to high end American guitars. Ex.: ESP & Ibanez > Gibson & Fender.
2) Everyone and their mom either owns a Les Paul, or a Strat, and it's really just annoying, because most of those people only have them because they are bombarded ever since they start playing that Gibson Les Pauls are hands down the best guitars in existence. I've played a Gibson, and I've played an Ibanez (not even a prestige, just a high end RG) and there was no comparison. The RG is much easier and faster to play, and they look way cooler. They also don't weigh more than you do.

yes. i bet my generation (the teens) will only know les pauls and fenders by the time they are adults.

i dont get why gibson les pauls are so popular, cuz i cant play anything on them. their neck kills me literally.

on the other hand... i cant really play anything except on a really thin neck, like an ibanez...
Go Ibanez!
i think they are amazing guitars. they got to be so highly thought of by being just that good. have they been good recently? no. are they overpriced? shit yes. is saying les pauls are the best guitars douchebag-ish? extremely.

"better" is 99% subjective. of course ud take a gibson over a starcaster, but once u get past a certain range, its all personal preference.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Anyone who thinks Les Pauls are overrated is inexperienced and does not have a
developed ear for music.

There is no debate....

Furthermore, You may think the difference between the tone of two different guitars is small, but the better the amp...the more they distance themselves. If your amp sux..you cant tell a whole lot.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 12, 2009,
you guys are probrably adults so alot of your "guitar friends" know alot about guitars.

im only 13, and my friend who has been playing guitar for 7 years said to me once, "whats a esp?"
Go Ibanez!
I'd generally say overrated by people who don't know what they are talking about, but rated just right by the inner-circles of guitar players.

The people who don't know the difference between single-coils and humbuckers are probably the same people who only know the brands of guitar included in Guitar Hero. So logically they probably think that those brands are best.

Then theres people like us that know things. Every guitar is suited for a different role. Yes, you can shred on an LP, but it wasn't really built for it. Thin-neck guitars with OFRs like Ibanez's can do blues, but they weren't built for it.

People who know what they're talking about buy the guitar that they need for their style and sound. Generally LPs are associated with classic rock and blues and such. Ibanez and ESPs are associated with metal and shred. They just tend to work better with those styles.
If you think Les Pauls are overrated in the sense that Kurt Vonnegut is overrated as an authour or BMWs are overrated as cars, then yes - I agree with you.

If you think Les Pauls are overrated in the sense that Ashton Kutcher is overrated as an actor, than I've have to agree to disagree.

Anything popular is bound to be picked up by people that don't know jack. Fall Out Boy got their name from a Simpsons character. That doesn't make The Simpsons a bad show - it just gives it more attention than its merits deserve. The extra attention makes The Simpsons an overrated show. It doesn't make it any better or worse than it was before FoB came along.

But it sounds like you already made up your mind, and you just want people to agree with you.
I think this thread is overrated.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...