I was thinking about buying this pedal to get some heavier distortion because my crappy squier strat and vox VT30 doesnt seem to give me enough distortion to play heavier stuff, i pretty much want to be able to play pinch harmonics and pick slide with ease, is the right thing to buy?
Don't get a Metal Zone.

Just don't.

A better amp and guitar will work fine.

Then, let's talk about pedals.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Does your Squier Strat have a humbucker? The VT30 should be able to get those kinds of tones easily with its high gain models.

Quote by nightraven
pinch harmonics come with technique, not with lousy cheap distortion pedals

+1

Any decent guitarist can get pinch harmonics without distortion. Hell, you can get them on an acoustic.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
Does your Squier Strat have a humbucker? The VT30 should be able to get those kinds of tones easily with its high gain models.

+1

Any decent guitarist can get pinch harmonics without distortion. Hell, you can get them on an acoustic.

My squier has a single coil is it possible to have humbuckers on strats?
Yes. If you can solder it's fairly simple; you'd need to cut a bigger hole in your pickguard, though. Most Squier Strats have HSH routing and it's just the pickguard that is SSS.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I know by experience that the Metal Zone is just not a good idea. I still have mine, I still can't get any decent sound out of it.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
The MT2 is a piece of shit, if you want a cheap semi-decent distortion pedal, get a Metal Muff.
Either way, the single coils won't help you much, so I recommend replacing them, or just getting a new guitar altogether, a new set of pups will most likely cost more than your guitar is worth
ohai little sig.
Yea I was gonna say, get a higher output pup if you feel like its lacking. Single coil size or regular humbucker like mentioned earlier. Personally, I'd opt for a humbucker sized JB. Also, get a CTS 500k volume pot once you install that humbucker. Not only is it needed but your tone will improve going through a better quality pot.
Judging from your username you like VH the MT-2 will no way in hell get you close to a VH tone. If you're still set on a distortion pedal, you're better off getting a DS-1 then a MT-2.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by Demonikk
The MT2 is a piece of shit, if you want a cheap semi-decent distortion pedal, get a Metal Muff.
Either way, the single coils won't help you much, so I recommend replacing them, or just getting a new guitar altogether, a new set of pups will most likely cost more than your guitar is worth

Not if you get them from Guitar Fetish. They're only about $30 a pop and are great quality.
Overdrives work well on the high gain models of VT-- amps. I know the general consensus is modeling+pedals=no, but that is not the case with these amps. Low drive and high level settings on an overdrive will add gain and tighten up even the valvetronix amps.