Hey guys

Here's the deal: I just obtained 4 new pickups from my uncle. I have 3 guitars and i'm not sure how to arrange them. My Amp is a Laney LV200.

Here are the pickups:
Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck Bridge Pickup
Neck and Bridge Stock pickups from a Hi-end washburn. They measure about 8.5K each.
A noiseless strat pickup. It says '~Voltage~' on the back if it helps. Sorry, No further Info. It is 6.4K DC resistance.

My guitars:

Ibanez S320 - My pride and joy. Stock pickups (INF1 and INF2). Mahogany body.

No-Name 'Wesley' Strat I got for £60 new. Has 2 acceptable Single coils and a horrible bridge humbucker. Plays quite Well.

Squier Fat Strat - Affinity series. Has 2 weak single coils and a weak bridge Humbucker. I think it has an Alder body.

The style I play most often is Metal, But I am trying to learn to do more classic rock and bluesy things.

What I considered was:
Ibanez - the 2 washburn pickups
No-name Wesley - The JB in the bridge and the noiseless in the neck position. Keep the middle pickup stock.
Squier - Single coil removed from Wesley into neck position. Ibanez Infinity Bridge Humbucker in the bridge.

TLDR;

Which Pickup in Which Guitar

Thanks a lot in advance guys. I am willing to try out a few different configs, I am just seeking some guidance before I hack and slash all the wiring.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Looks like you've put some thought into this, your list looks pretty solid. I dunno what the washburn pickups sound like, but if your Ibby is your pride and joy, maybe put the JB in the bridge of the Ibby and put the bridge washburn pickup in your Wesley?

Other than that, looks like you're basically set. Just try them out I guess.
Thanks for your advice, Kenan

If I had to guess, I would say the Washburns are a bit like PAF Pickups. The guitar they came on looks like a double cutaway les paul and has a big heavy mahogany body.

I'm not sure if the JB would overpower the washburn neck though? The JB has quite a bright tone, it was too bright when I tried it on my stratocastor in the past so it will cut through very well and give a nice, defined tone. I might try it with the INF1 neck as well as the Washburn to see which is more balanced.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Peavey Rage 158
The JB is supposed to overpower the neck, that's the point of having high output pickups. One of my friends has a SD Pearly Gates (fairly low/mid output) in the neck of his guitar and an Alternative 8 (pretty high output) in the bridge and the bloody fool set their heights so they gave the same final output. Why buy high output pickups if you're not going to use their output?

Anyway. I'd stick the JB in the Ibanez - in my view it's the highest quality pickup out of the bunch and the Ibanez is your hgihest quality guitar, makes sense to me to pair them together. The other pickups, I really wouldn't like to say without knowing more about their specific construction.

Also, sorry but if you bought that Affinity Strat in England, it's not alder, it's an agathis body. Only the ones made for the American market got alder bodies.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The JB is supposed to overpower the neck, that's the point of having high output pickups. One of my friends has a SD Pearly Gates (fairly low/mid output) in the neck of his guitar and an Alternative 8 (pretty high output) in the bridge and the bloody fool set their heights so they gave the same final output. Why buy high output pickups if you're not going to use their output?
So that your volume match and switching from bridge to neck does not result in a huge volume drop. What you are suggesting is essentially making either your bridge or neck position useless in a band setting.

The reason high output pickups were designed were so they could push the front end of the amp, not so that they could be louder than the neck when put in the bridge. That is just a byproduct of having a pickup that is too hot in the bridge. Which is why most people will replace the neck if there is too big a difference or raise the neck pickup. Doing so does not mean you are not using the output. Raising an 8k ohm pickup is not going to sound the same as a lower 10k ohm pickup.

If I have a mismatch in volume and I have the bridge already tweaked to where I like it in terms of pickup and polepiece height and the neck doesn't match then I raise the neck to match the bridge in volume. If I can't get it to match or I have to get it so high that it starts to sound bad, then I replace it with something that works better. Finding neck and bridge pickups that work well together is something that comes into play. Why do you think '59/JB combos are so popular? Because they work well together.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 13, 2009,
OK Thanks for your help everyone. I have a bit of a problem installing them, as I do not have the correct screws (The pickups were straight out of a spare parts box).

The screws supplied with my Ibanez were too small and did not fit the holes in any one the new pickups - they slipped through. I should also mention that the holes on the JB were widened and re-threaded where the thread was damaged due to using the impropper Screws.

Does anyone have any idea of any shops in the UK which sell various Screws which are suitable for the purpose of mounting pickups in the pickup rings?

Thanks again for all of your help everyone so far.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Peavey Rage 158