I know many of the scales and how to play them on my guitar, but what chords should my friend play while i play a certain scale, lets say i played an e harmonic minor scale, what chords should my friend play while i play that scale, and also how could i figure out what chords should be played in general?
emin, f#dim, Gaug, amin, bmin, Cmaj, Dmaj
Last edited by The_Toki at Dec 12, 2009,
thread title =

But he should play, depending on your style, chords derived from the scale that you're playing. Usually, you do chords first, THEN solo over top of that. There are no rules as such about what chords he should play, unless you adhere to strict music theory rules such as cadences and whatnot, but it should be whatever sounds good.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Well if you were playing E harmonic minor, I would guess that your friend would use eminor under that. Lets say he plays a Gmaj next, then you could either carry on playing emin harmonic or be a bit more clever and begin from a G, using that as the beginning of your emin harmonic scale.

That was likely a terrible explanation by me, but look up "MODES". I'm unsure if they apply to harmonic minor scales as I'm not too clever on theory, but they'll give you a good idea.
Play chords that are in the key your soloing.

For example for a cliche metal solo in E

Rhythm sounds good - E - C - D - B
- E - D - C - B
- E - D - C - A - B

Cliche but it always sounds good!
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Em to a B7 vamp is a pretty basic progression for your friend to play while you play E Harm minor.

There is no definitive answer to your question. Its like saying, "what words should I use when talking to my friend?" That is a choice no one can make for you. Your ability to communicate or to know what to play is going to be dictated by how well you use your ear, and can be helped by knowing the musical language of theory.
    Quote by VanHalen2195
    I know many of the scales and how to play them on my guitar, but what chords should my friend play while i play a certain scale, lets say i played an e harmonic minor scale, what chords should my friend play while i play that scale, and also how could i figure out what chords should be played in general?

If you don't know that then you don't actually know any scales, you may know where to play them but you don't actually understand them and that's what's important.

Learn the notes on the fretboard.
    Learn about intervals.
    Learn how to construct the major scale
    Learn how to harmonise the major scale.

Josh Urban's Crusade articles will help you understand this, as will the links in Freepower's sig, as well this video (Harmony is the one that specifically adresses your question but i'd recommend watching them all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTUXKWnHH-g&feature=related
    Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
    People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
    i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com