I bought a mesa lonestar 2x12 combo. I play a wide range of music from metallica-like to soft alt rock stuff. This is my first tube amp and I am lookin to get some heavier sound out of it. I could eventually buy a better amp for my needs, but I dont hav the cash right now. I crank the gain on the lonestar but it doesnt sound right. somebody suggested the Blackstar HT Distx to me to get a clearer heavier sound. Does the Blackstar Distx pedal sound like a good fit?
NO. The ISF feature on that is a digital noise you can't turn off. Yes, it sounds OK, but it bugged me after 10-15 minutes.

I use the Damage Control Solid Metal which does the extreme gain that the DistX is capable of, but it has it's own issues. Not sure what the MOSFET's are for, but I'm thinking they have to do with the selection of the range on the Scoop (as you turn the scoop up, it scoops more dramatically, but from a smaller frequency range.)

Are you looking for mid-scooped death-metalish sounds? Saturated wall-of-bass? Exactly what are you going for?

Why not try overdriving the amp first? The Bad Monkey can be had very cheap and is great for overdriving a good tube amp like that. You will probably find it adds some serious grit.

Also, tubes may be a good thing. NOS Sylvania's are cheap right now and very high gain. Also Mesa made a twin tube pedal (discontinued) but available on ebay for $2-300 used in my experience.

Good luck. I recommend a distortion (perhaps the $50 danelectro metal pedal (not the $40 one, I forget the model) followed by a Bad Monkey or MXR M108 EQ pedal to boost the signal as a cheap method. The new Guitar Fetish Black pedal looks attractive as well, and their Green pedal is also pretty nasty looking.

On the expensive front, The Damage Control is pretty mesa sounding. I like it. The DistX is not for me, might be exactly what you want. *shrug* I dislike the ISF which is why I own a Blackheart and not a Blackstar. The Mesa Twin pedal is fantastic. I wish I had one!
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
Get an overdrive pedal to tighten up the sound and get more gain.

Some good and cheap overdrive pedals are the Danelectro Cool Cat OD's, and the Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive Pedal.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 13, 2009,
what do u think of the metal muff? i tried it out and i liked it quite a bit, but im not sure its the best fit for my amp. I know its partially personal preferance, but im a tube newb so idk if it detracts from the tube sound
My HT-DisX is a great sounding pedal, although its a little buzzy, planning to change the valve in it sometime soon.
Quote by PimpSmurf
NO. The ISF feature on that is a digital noise you can't turn off. Yes, it sounds OK, but it bugged me after 10-15 minutes.

I use the Damage Control Solid Metal which does the extreme gain that the DistX is capable of, but it has it's own issues. Not sure what the MOSFET's are for, but I'm thinking they have to do with the selection of the range on the Scoop (as you turn the scoop up, it scoops more dramatically, but from a smaller frequency range.)

Are you looking for mid-scooped death-metalish sounds? Saturated wall-of-bass? Exactly what are you going for?

Why not try overdriving the amp first? The Bad Monkey can be had very cheap and is great for overdriving a good tube amp like that. You will probably find it adds some serious grit.

Also, tubes may be a good thing. NOS Sylvania's are cheap right now and very high gain. Also Mesa made a twin tube pedal (discontinued) but available on ebay for $2-300 used in my experience.

Good luck. I recommend a distortion (perhaps the $50 danelectro metal pedal (not the $40 one, I forget the model) followed by a Bad Monkey or MXR M108 EQ pedal to boost the signal as a cheap method. The new Guitar Fetish Black pedal looks attractive as well, and their Green pedal is also pretty nasty looking.

On the expensive front, The Damage Control is pretty mesa sounding. I like it. The DistX is not for me, might be exactly what you want. *shrug* I dislike the ISF which is why I own a Blackheart and not a Blackstar. The Mesa Twin pedal is fantastic. I wish I had one!

hang on, lem'me get this straight...
you're suggesting TS avoid the ht-distx because it introduces a slight amount of noise (which I can only assume is you misusing the ISF), and instead recommend he get a pedal that will help him scoop his tone? (1) that's what gates are for, and (2) are you out of your damn mind? then you want to suggest boosting with a dano? an eq? a ****in' BM instead of the distx? that last one's fine if you're just using it as a clean boost on an already high gain amp. have you ever played a lonestar? if you don't like the distx, fine, voice your opinion, but atleast make informed suggestions! GTFO.

EDIT: maybe that was a bit harsh, and you did make some other good suggestions. my point is TS, don't rule out the distx until you try it.
Last edited by GrisKy at Dec 13, 2009,
yeah i just played a metal muff the other day and thought it fit the amp pretty well and didnt take away from the tube sound, which the line 6 pedal that i tried def does. Hopefully ill find a guitar store that has a bad monkey, or a blackstar pedal, but my stupid guitar center doesnt carry those. i really liked the metal muff tho. does that seem like a decent choice?? i kno i def want an overdrive pedal at some point but the metal muff seemed decent for a first pedal for my amp.
it's better than most people's first pedal, but you can do better if you actually look around.
i gotta test out pedals and the only place with very many pedals around is guitarcenter. i hate that store cuz most ppl in there know nothing about guitars. im gonna shop around b4 i make a decision. but metal muff was the best sounding pedal out of all the metal pedals i played all day
please dont ruin your amazing lonestar with a blackstar ht-distx. i own a ht-dist and i can tell you that blackstar make some pretty respectable dirt pedals. but comparing a mesa boogie amp to a 'pretty decent dirt pedal' is insane.

get an overdrive, clean boost or eq to boost your lonestar. this will give you the most satisfying tone.