Page 1 of 2
im just wondering, what gauge do you use?
No bias or anything, im just curious.
on the reply also please tell me what guitar/style you play.
thank you

oh btw i use an ibanez rg tremelo (rg270dx) with 11-52 gauge. i play lead.
I used to use 9s but because I have so many guitars and 9s do not come in bulk packs I went up to 10s to save money. I got used to them I like light gauge strings. I can't tell what guitar they are on because they are on all my guitars and as far as music the heavier the better!

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Dec 12, 2009,
I use .11's on my 6 string (Agile Reaper) & I think .10's possibly 9's on my 7 string (Agile Interceptor Pro), I really need to get new strings though, havn't changed them in a while!
& I play metal! Thrash metal, death metal, metalcore, melodic metal, speed metal, alternative metal. Y'know, metal!
Quote by johnro6659
I used to use 9s but because I have so many guitars and 9s do not come in bulk packs I went up to 10s to save money. I got used to them I like light gauge strings. I can't tell what guitar they are on because they are on all my guitars and as far as music the heavier the better!

John
Here's a pack of twelve for a good price?

I use .011-.052, it's a pack of EB 7-String Super Slinkies, I don't use the .009. That way I get .011-guage skinny-top heavy-bottom strings with a wound G. Perfect.

I play a roughly even mixture of blues, metal, and rock from E Standard to C Standard.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Dec 12, 2009,
I use .011"-.049" (11's) on my LP, and .0095"-.044" (9 and a half's - D'Addario only) on my somewhat strat-like guitar.

Anything I feel like playing. Problem is, if I tune down, everything is floppy as all hell.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 12, 2009,
12-62 to 14-68 works for me, using 11-52 at the moment
I can not stand anything lower than 11-52 for E standard only
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
I use 11-54's (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies) on my Schecter and Regular Slinkies (10-48) on my Fender Strat. the Schecter is in D Standard or Drop C and the Fender is in E standard or Drop D.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
if i play anything lower than 11-52 i feel like im gonna break the strings.
Go Ibanez!
Quote by randomhero93
I use 11-54's (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies) on my Schecter and Regular Slinkies (10-48) on my Fender Strat. the Schecter is in D Standard or Drop C and the Fender is in E standard or Drop D.

11-54 would be good E standard set

you want diff gauge for different things, sometimes smaller strings
sound heavier and others its heavier with thick strings, just depends
just exactly what you are doing and how strong your hand is.
of course your scale matters

Gain boost Switch
]
yeah but i have a really thin wizard neck on my guitar. i wanna use 12's to tell you the truth but i might break it.
Quote by xDarrellx87x
11-54 would be good E standard set

you want diff gauge for different things, sometimes smaller strings
sound heavier and others its heavier with thick strings, just depends
just exactly what you are doing and how strong your hand is.
of course your scale matters

11-54 is perfect for Drop C on my schecter. it's not way too tight, but there's just a little bit of slack to it so I can hit those 1 1/2 - 2 step bends. its also cause it's a 25.5 scale and that I've been tuning down since I've had it. (started with 9's and E standard, moved to 10's and Eb standard, then 10-52 (STHB) for D Standard, and now 11's for D standard and Drop C) so i didn't ever adjust the truss since i've been keeping the tension pretty level.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by benmoon
if i play anything lower than 11-52 i feel like im gonna break the strings.

i've actually played in E Standard with 11's. yeah, there'll be a lot of tension, but it won't break the strings. if you're planning on getting heavy strings on an RG (you mentiond Wizard neck), then plan on tuning lower if you don't wanna adjust the truss.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
11-54 is perfect for Drop C on my schecter. it's not way too tight, but there's just a little bit of slack to it so I can hit those 1 1/2 - 2 step bends. its also cause it's a 25.5 scale and that I've been tuning down since I've had it. (started with 9's and E standard, moved to 10's and Eb standard, then 10-52 (STHB) for D Standard, and now 11's for D standard and Drop C) so i didn't ever adjust the truss since i've been keeping the tension pretty level.

I have used 14-62 on a 25.5" scale adjusted to 26" for E-standard
I thought that was ideal for my power hands. Technically even
with lower sized strings, your intonation changes from every tuning slightly

12-62 is a great happy medium for G# to E standard

"NO one can tell YOU what guage to use" everyone is uniqe and plays differently

Gain boost Switch
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Dec 12, 2009,
great! i thought i was the only person who used thicker strings for shredding!
Go Ibanez!
Quote by benmoon
great! i thought i was the only person who used thicker strings for shredding!

Thick strings with Thick picks say 1.52mm sure sound smooth on solos

Gain boost Switch
Dean Markley Blue Steel 10-46 with Fender Medium Celluloid picks.

I play acid rock, ska, indie, grunge, and punk on a Gibson SG Classic
I used D'Addario 9-46s on everything. I normally play in E standard but I have d tunas on my guitars so I like to have the 46 rather than a 42 on the thick E string just cause it has a little more omph, when in D.

I normally play Classic Rock, Hard Rock, a slight touch of prog rock..
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
I have d tunas on my guitars
Does it keep in tune every time? I've heard they always put you just sharp or flat of D, never actually D.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
20-gauge. 12 is classic but it can really ruin the meat.

Ah.

.10-.46 is what's on most of my guitars, in a mixture of E Standard and Eb Standard tuning and about an even mix of 25.5" and 24.75" scale lengths. One of my Teles has .10-.52 specifically for Drop C# though I'll occasionally put my other guitars to Drop C# with just the .10-.46 sets just fine. The main exception is my other Tele which has .09-.46, that was originally for my first stab at playing in Drop C# but it was just a touch too loose; I still keep stringing it up with .09-.46s though now because I've gotten so used to that guitar having them.

One of my LPs has .11-.something on and even in Drop C# I find they're too thick to play on. Physically hurts my fingers to use that guitar past fret 13 or so, it's now sitting under my bed collecting dust because it's basically unplayable. I would put on a lighter set but I'm lazy.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
12's really aren't that bad, depends on your bending technique
I can handle up to 14 mind you its hard but manageable

Gain boost Switch
Quote by MrFlibble
It's now sitting under my bed collecting dust because it's basically unplayable. I would put on a lighter set but I'm lazy.
If it's just sitting there going to waste, you can give it to me. I'll pay for shipping. My guitar's held together with electrical tape and bits of plywood, I'd be thrilled with it. You spoil yourself, Mr. Flibble.
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Dec 13, 2009,
.10-.46 D'addarios on my strat
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
10-46 on my Jackson (E standard)
11-54 on my LTD (D standard)
11-58 on my Ibanez (7 string standard)
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
D'Addario 10-46 on the strat, i play in E and Eb mostly occasionally drop D

the tele has D'Addario 10-46 as well

i actually just put new ones on the strat a half hour ago
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 13, 2009,
ernie ball 11s E standard
d'addario 12s Eb and D standard
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
i use 12-52 on my les paul only because i find i over bend alot i dont get any better or fatter tone using them

Edit: sorry i meant 12-56 the ernie ball coated ones
Quote by Pr0gNut
How dare you get all philosophical with logic and reasoning! This UG Sir,where one must blindly yell out opinions then viciously attack anyone who disagrees with said opinions.
Last edited by rd94 at Dec 13, 2009,
10-52 I went to my local GC and told them I wanted some Earnie Ball 10-52's and the sales guy goes "10-52's huh? Thats a good gauge. Yeah! Thats a man's gauge. If I were you though, Id buy these DR strings instead of Earnie Ball... Blah blah blah." So he sells me 2 packs of strings that totals at $20. Next day, I went to the mom and pop store and got the Earnie Balls I wanted. I was not a fan of the DR.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I use 10-52s. They work the best for me. I play in D standard and Drop C, so my lower strings feel somewhat tight and they're thick enough to supply a really heavy tone, but the higher strings are thin enough to really be playable for solos
I play mostly Children of Bodom and Megadeth sounding stuff, but I like to play blues a lot too
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Pending on the neck size, I use 11-49 on super thin necks (40-41mm neck width) (my fav, personally) and plan to get 12-54 on my uber thick (42mm neck width omg lol) neck.

dont ibbys have 58mm width on some necks>
i like ernie ball regulars (10-46) for hardtail guitars and the next gauge up (power slinky which i think is 11-49) for rhythm playing or guitars with trems. don't know why, i just find tremolos work a lot better with heavier gauge strings - my jazzmaster's trem is perfect with the power slinky sets anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I use D'addario 10-46 for my Strat because I just love them. I tried 10-52 but it felt awkward to me for whatever reason.
Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24
Marshall MG30DFX
ISP Noise Decimator
Need a new amp. Any ideas? PM me

Quote by Kensai
Either you got the wrong thread or the gays in your state are very well hung.

Quote by xDarrellx87x
12's really aren't that bad, depends on your bending technique
I can handle up to 14 mind you its hard but manageable

lol my cousin deadlock riff (currently banned. that dumbass) uses those (but 14-72). his tone is sweet as hell. but playin on his guitar is deadly to my fingers
Right now I have an Ernie Ball custom set (11-52) on my strat, in standard E as usual.
But I also have a set of Rotosound 10-46's I got for free that I'll try when I get the new guitar (Suhr on the way, I hope I can get it before June as I planned ).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Page 1 of 2