let me get this out there...

im in a pop band...i always liked the music, but at our last show, i really just wasn't digging it. It wasn't just the fact that we could've used some more practice, it was just that i realized it just wasn't for me. I couldn't get into the songs like I could always do...the "magic" was no longer there.

I've been thinking about it, and the more i think about it, the more i really think i should just leave this band, and not just try and recreate the music. All three of them smoke weed, and not just recreationally; multiple times a day (at least when I'm there 3-4 times a week.) They also enjoy getting drunk. I'm completely clean; I find no joy in using drugs or alcohol, I live off music completely. While they don't bother me about it, It's obviously a little awkward for me to just sit there while they do this.

I am also not at a level were i feel i should be performing music...I need more practice to become the player that i feel i want to be. I also love rock music much more then pop, and would rather play that.

Now...a lot of people love the music and think it has a lot of potential, and consider me a key point in the band, the 'selling point' if you will. I don't really want to let the band and fans down. We are also reaching a level of fame in our hometown, with getting a crowd of 50+ people at our shows (fans, not friends, and always at least 30 of them are different people), and PRs from labels have been checking us out and digging it a lot.

what do you guys think?
if you're living on the music then you should just think about the music. if it isn't your music, don't play it
I'M A COWBOY
I would stay in the band but talk to them about your concerns. You may regret dropping out and its always easier to quit then to get back in. Maybe they wouldnt mind throwing rock in the set

edit: if you play lead then you can basically play whatever you want. if they dont like it then leave
Last edited by qwertyuiop8642 at Dec 12, 2009,
If you're not having fun anymore..........move on. You need to enjoy the music and what you're doing. If not, what's the point?
Quote by Afterhours
If you're not having fun anymore..........move on. You need to enjoy the music and what you're doing. If not, what's the point?

Money. Just like every other pop band
I hate my sig
If you like rock better, then try to incorporate some of the elements of rock into your playing. You'll still be in the band and won't let anyone down and will be playing the type of music that you love.