This might be a little long.

My best friend since elementary school is in my band. He has been real cool until about a few months ago. Now, recently he is just being stupid.

Lets start off. He is our bassist.

1. He started smoking weed and cigarettes, as well as drinking. He was out getting high with our roadie before our practice yesterday (he was 15 min late because of it) and like 15 min before our set at our show last night. Me and the drummer are pissed because we hate the smell and just don't like it and our keyboardist thinks he's really stupid because he used to do drugs until he got arrested and turned his life around. Our singer doesn't care too much, but whatever...

2. He messes around at practice. We play songs and he'll start playing the 3rd or the 5th of the notes he's supposed to be playing. He'll play octaves. He'll alternate between octaves and the root. On the one song he plays guitar on, he decided to use an eBow and make random feedback. We told him to stop and he was like "I don't care, its fun and its only practice." Its really pissing all of us off.

3. When Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 came out, he was obsessing over it. We were writing a new song and he was just like "Guys, we're not getting anything done, lets call it a night", when in reality we had like the whole song done and he was just playing random notes and saying it sounded bad. Then last Thursday, I was asking him what time he was coming to practice and he was like, "What? How come no one told me we were practicing?" even though we told him for the past 2 days. Then I overheard him making plans to do something on Xbox live that night. Later, he told our singer he was busy and that he probably wouldn't come to practice. We all decided we'd still practice and guess what, he shows up and messed around on like every song.

4. He doesn't practice. He quit lessons. He is a messy player and we feel he is detracting from the band.

5. He told one of our friends that he wanted to quit. We don't know whats up with that since we haven't voiced any opinions yet. This might explain everything above.

We all want him out of the band, just none of us want to tell him. He's been my best friend since elementary school, hes real good friends with the singer, I don't think the other two really care, they just are annoyed by him and want him out.

What to do?
Talk to him. Weed/booze/videogames don't matter if he's commited to the band because he won't let those thing interfere with his playing. He seems pretty unmotivated, so if you talk to him about it he'll either get motivated or get pissed off and quit. Either way you win.
Quote by Forkman
Talk to him. Weed/booze/videogames don't matter if he's commited to the band because he won't let those thing interfere with his playing. He seems pretty unmotivated, so if you talk to him about it he'll either get motivated or get pissed off and quit. Either way you win.

Yeah, hes quite behind us in playing ability, so he's probably out. We've all progressed greatly since starting this band, and hes stayed at the same level. And at this point, the weed/ booze/ videogames aren't going to stop, because he doesn't care at all.

Also, now that I really think about it, hes just kind of an extra since the singer is much better than him at bass, but just can't sing and play that well and our keyboardist can sing well, so he's really quite useless at this point.
Talk to him first that way you can really get to the bottom of what is going on. After you all sit down together and talk about things that have to change, then you can decide on what kind of action needs to be taken.
You seem pretty positive that he is out, so if that's the case I think you all as a group need to tell him, not just one of you.
Quote by Ciaphas
Talk to him first that way you can really get to the bottom of what is going on. After you all sit down together and talk about things that have to change, then you can decide on what kind of action needs to be taken.
You seem pretty positive that he is out, so if that's the case I think you all as a group need to tell him, not just one of you.

Yeah, we talked about all this in the car on the way back from our show last night. We all went in one car, while him and the roadie drove the van with all the gear. We basically discussed everything about him that was making us mad, and also the direction we want the band to go from here.

We basically all have issues with him and the only thing that is keeping us from kicking him out is that he my best friend.
Last edited by Souls United at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by koslack
You're problem isn't with him. The problem is that none of you have the guts to do what is necessary. Why are you asking us for advice? You know exactly what needs to be done. You need validation? Fine, consider yourself validated. Fire him.
Swish. Nuthin but net.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.