I am planning on building a talk box. I have seen many versions on the net, but none of them were exactly what I wanted. I want my talk box to have an internal amp in it and I want it to run the mic to my external amp while the talk box is activated. I am in no way a wiring expert, I have very little knowlege, but some. I have made a diagram just based of of my thoughts on how it should work. Can someone with expert knowlege of wirings take a look and let me know if this will work? And if it won't, what changes to make. Here is a legend for the diagram.

1.) input from guitar
2.) input from microphone
3.) output to amp
4.) power input for pre amp
5.) vinyl tubing
6.) mid range horn driver
7.) amp
8.) LED indicator
9.) foot switch
10.) back of switch

Thanks to anyone who can help with this!
MY GEAR-
Dean: Performer E (accoustic/electric)
Ibanez: GRX20 (electric)
Takamine: Jasmine (accoustic)
Crate: V33-212 (amp)
Boss: RC-2 (loop station)
Behringer: X V-amp (Multi Effects Pedal)
Last edited by bigpapatrump at Dec 13, 2009,
It took me a little while for me to figure what you're trying to do...but now I think I get it (fwiw it was confusing, because you were interchangeably using the word 'amp' too much - sometimes referring to the internal amp but then also an external amp).

That wiring looks fine, but the LED won't work - in your wiring, you are simply applying your input signal across it (a t best it'll flicker dimly) - you'll need to switch the DC feeding your internal amp to it (an in this case you'll need a small resistor to minimize the current else the LED will burn out)

Also, if your external amp (fed from (3) above ) is on a distortion setting (which for a guitar it typically will have), then your talkbox is gonna sound rough when activated (ie with your microphone feeding into the distortion setting on the amp)
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Dec 13, 2009,
Thanks so much for the response, sorry for being so confusing, I went back and modified my post to clarify the amp thing, hopefully.

Ok, so other than the LED light this wiring looks good. My concern right now is that somehoe there will be an accidental surge of power sent fron the internal talk box amp into my external amp. Do you think that's possible and if it is will it hurt my external amp?
MY GEAR-
Quote by bigpapatrump

Ok, so other than the LED light this wiring looks good. My concern right now is that somehoe there will be an accidental surge of power sent fron the internal talk box amp into my external amp. Do you think that's possible and if it is will it hurt my external amp?

Now you've confused me! Looking at your wiring diagram, the internal amp only drives the compression driver? (which in turn feeds the guitar 'sound' down the plastic tube, into your mouth then this is picked up into mic, & the mic feeds out to your external amp - right?). So if this is the case, how could a power surge from your internal amp get to the external amp? (except via your mouth!) The wiring diagram isn't that easy on the eyes...those wires are thin and with the colours you've used it's not that easy to differentiate them!
Quote by HankMcSpank
Now you've confused me! Looking at your wiring diagram, the internal amp only drives the compression driver? (which in turn feeds the guitar 'sound' down the plastic tube, into your mouth then this is picked up into mic, & the mic feeds out to your external amp - right?). So if this is the case, how could a power surge from your internal amp get to the external amp? (except via your mouth!) The wiring diagram isn't that easy on the eyes...those wires are thin and with the colours you've used it's not that easy to differentiate them!

Yeah, again sorry, I'm not that great with the diagram and wiring stuff.

You have understood it all correctly, I think I'm the one that confused myself on this one. I see now after going back over it again that there is now way for that to happen. I just want to make sure I am as cautious as possible that I don't blow my amp up. Thanks again for all of your help. I'll post pics once I start building it.
MY GEAR-
Here are some pics of the internal amp I want to use. It came out of an old first act practice amp. Everything on this amp is the way I need it except for the input. I'm going to need the input to go to the switch before going to the amp.

I plan on removing this input jack from the circuit board. My plan is to run the input wires to the switch and then run wires from the switch to the circuit board. The thing I'm unsure about is, as you can see from the pics, the input jack contacts the circuit board at four points. How do I figure out where to connect the wires from the switch?

Another question, is the piece that is screwed into the bottom of this amp a ground? would I just screw this into the metal bottom of the new box? See arrows in this photo.

Here are some pics of the rest of the amp.

MY GEAR-
RE which connectors to solder to (from your switch)...it's the far ones - the one that is hidden is the ground & the far one that we can see (next to the tall green cap) is the signal input. (if you think about it...when a jack plug is inserted, they are the connectors that will phisically contact the jack plug....the other two - nearest - connectors will 'break' when a jack plug is inserted)

Re your other question about the 'piece connected to the chassis' - well that's a transistor & it's connected to the chassis in order for the chassis to perform as a heatsink - normally such chassis are ground - but your supply is from a wall wart, so it might not be true ground - no matter, you should be able to screw that transistor into the metal of the new box (like I say, it's function here is one of dissapating heat from the transistor)
Quote by HankMcSpank
RE which connectors to solder to (from your switch)...it's the far ones - the one that is hidden is the ground & the far one that we can see (next to the tall green cap) is the signal input. (if you think about it...when a jack plug is inserted, they are the connectors that will phisically contact the jack plug....the other two - nearest - connectors will 'break' when a jack plug is inserted)

Re your other question about the 'piece connected to the chassis' - well that's a transistor & it's connected to the chassis in order for the chassis to perform as a heatsink - normally such chassis are ground - but your supply is from a wall wart, so it might not be true ground - no matter, you should be able to screw that transistor into the metal of the new box (like I say, it's function here is one of dissapating heat from the transistor)

Gotcha, thanks so much for your help, you have been very generous.
MY GEAR-
Ok. I don't know if this new diagram makes it any clearer or just more confusing, but this is my final diagram for the talk box. I added the power switch and also changed the foot switch to a 3pdt so that I could have one color LED while the talk box was in straight guitar modae and another color when in talk box mode.

Where should I add the resistor(s)? Assuming the resistor(s) is added, does this final diagram look good, or just as confusing? I just want to make sure I have everything down before I place my order for the other supplies I need.

And one last question, hopefully. In reference to the transistor that is connected to the chasis, If I connect that to the metal of chasis of the talk box is it going to heat the entire box up?
MY GEAR-
Last edited by bigpapatrump at Dec 14, 2009,
Bump
MY GEAR-
Ok, this will be my last input (I'll leave it to someone else to give input, as this sumps my time too much!).

Your diagram is clearer to read this time (except for the fact it's too big for my laptop screen necessitating me scrolling around with the arrow keys!)

When I said you needed to add resistors - that was on the assumption that your indicators are LEDs. If your PSU is 14V, then applying 14V directly across a led is gonna burn it out pretty damn quick. Re the resistor value - difficult to precise, but something around 600 ohms to 1K, depending on how bright you want the LEDs to glow! The resistora will go in series with each LED (therefore in your diagram - in line between the switch an the +ve terminal of the LED (you could also put them between the LEDs -ve terminal & ground if you wished) - you can likely get away with just one resistor, but since resistors are so darned cheap, I'd put two in (one for each indicator).

I shoudn't worry to much about your talkbox overheating - we're not exactly talking about a lot of dissipation here - and besides, a lot of the transistor's heat will be dumped on the other side of the chassis. (I should point out that some transistors are insulated from the chassis because their metal heatsinks aren't a ground potential, so when you come to remove the transistor make a note of the exact bits & pieces it has (and the order) & be sure to replicate when you install in your talkbox chassis)

Good luck!
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Dec 14, 2009,