I recently got an Ibanez RG4exfm1 guitar, and it has a floating tremolo system.

I've watched many videos on adjusting spring tension and getting it to float or sink, and I was just wondering what's the point? Does the tremolo system sound different depending on the altitude of the bridge?

Also, lets say I want to put my guitar from Standard to D tuning. I use standard 10-42 strings I'm pretty sure. All I have to do is downtune from E to D, then adjust spring tension to make sure the bridge is straight? Or would I have to change to higher gauge strings or what?

Lastly, with the floating tremolo system, will my strings ever go out of tune as long as the locking nuts are tight? If so, sweet, I'm sick of having strings go flat.

This is also my first post on UG forums, I have no idea if the community will bash me for fun or anything, but I'm used to it I guess.
So yeah....I just got a floyd rose on my Jackson Dinky (haha) and Its a good idea to have the trem bar flush with the guitar. I would recommend going higher gauge the more you downtune, but drop D i think isn't so bad. I think if it floats or sinks too much you will mess up the action/intonation.

And yes, the locking nut is AWESOME for keeping the strings in tune no matter what. just make sure you tighten it enough, fine tune it, and dive away!

hope it helps.
When doing anything to alter the FR, lock the bring in place first (I use a metal ruler so it stays level.) Then, loosen the locking nut and down/up tune. Tighten the locking nuts and release the bridge blocker (for me, the ruler) and allow the trem to go too high or low. Then with a screw driver, tighten or loosen (depending on which way you want your trem to go) the screws that hold the spring claw in place until it is level. If it's too much space then add/take away a spring. You won't need to change string gauges unless you are going more than 2 full steps down.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Quote by 36mikeyb36
When doing anything to alter the FR, lock the bring in place first (I use a metal ruler so it stays level.) Then, loosen the locking nut and down/up tune. Tighten the locking nuts and release the bridge blocker (for me, the ruler) and allow the trem to go too high or low. Then with a screw driver, tighten or loosen (depending on which way you want your trem to go) the screws that hold the spring claw in place until it is level. If it's too much space then add/take away a spring. You won't need to change string gauges unless you are going more than 2 full steps down.

Ok thanks man, I think I get the hang of it.
There is in fact a set up guide for Floyd Rose style bridges located right HERE, stickied at the top of this forum.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.