So I plan on doing some recording via microphone and I'm completely new to this so I'll need a little help.

What mic should I get? I talked to a guy at Guitar Center today and he suggested a Blue 100 Series. He said he just replaced all his Sure SM57's with them.

If not that, what is the best mic in the >$150 range?

I play mostly metal and anything heavy in drop C or B. Setup is a Peavey 6505+ into a Vader 2x12.

Also, what other equipment will I need for recording? Sorry for being a noob, I appreciate the help.
a SM57 is what u hear on most albums since they were created. I mean thats not the only mic used to mic a cab but i mean for $100 it records and doubles as a gig mic thats tough as nails
assuming you are going to be recording your amp, i would say just go with the sm57. it sounds great when micing a cab, and it has its uses in other areas. i mean the blue encore 100 says 'live vocal mic' right in the title on MF. not that it wont work on your cab or sound good, but i would stick with something that is known to do good work on cabs.

now, what are you looking to record and what are you looking to spend for the rest of the stuff? i mean recording vox or drums is going to need different/more (respectively) than just recording your 6505+.
I won't be recording any vocals or drums, it'll just be for my amp and cab.

Do I need some kind of DI box or can I plug the mic directly into my soundcard?

Also, what is the best software for recording/editing/mixing? I don't mind paying if the program is good. Adobe Audition and Reaper looked good...
Quote by )(yperX
So I plan on doing some recording via microphone and I'm completely new to this so I'll need a little help.

What mic should I get? I talked to a guy at Guitar Center today and he suggested a Blue 100 Series. He said he just replaced all his Sure SM57's with them.

If not that, what is the best mic in the >$150 range?

I play mostly metal and anything heavy in drop C or B. Setup is a Peavey 6505+ into a Vader 2x12.

Also, what other equipment will I need for recording? Sorry for being a noob, I appreciate the help.

GC employees make excellent commission on Blue stuff....nevermind the extra spiff if he sells a certain amount of blue gear.

SM57 /thread.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Looks like I'll get an M-Audio Profire 610 and use Reaper software unless anyone has further input.
Quote by )(yperX
Looks like I'll get an M-Audio Profire 610 and use Reaper software unless anyone has further input.

I think this is a good call.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.