Just felt like having a discussion with fellow musicians.

So who else feels that anyone can learn to play guitar? I hear a lot of people complaining about being rhythmically challenged, but I feel you could get past that and learn about rhythm. Looking back, I think that the hardest part of learning guitar is when you just start. You try real hard and you never get your favorite song to sound right, and some people get disappointed and just quit. Recently I have been noticing that I could learn songs much faster and improv a lot better, and it honestly feels really good that I've come this far with learning. So does anyone else feel that the most challenging part of guitar is the first few months?

Discuss
I agree, but more for the first week or so than months. I still have trouble with rhythm, but my biggest challenge was getting my fret hand to stop cramping up and getting used to playing chords and eventually songs without my hand locking up.
"It wouldn't be any fun if it was easy."
Quote by newaccount
Just felt like having a discussion with fellow musicians.

So who else feels that anyone can learn to play guitar? I hear a lot of people complaining about being rhythmically challenged, but I feel you could get past that and learn about rhythm. Looking back, I think that the hardest part of learning guitar is when you just start. You try real hard and you never get your favorite song to sound right, and some people get disappointed and just quit. Recently I have been noticing that I could learn songs much faster and improv a lot better, and it honestly feels really good that I've come this far with learning. So does anyone else feel that the most challenging part of guitar is the first few months?

Discuss

I agree, but rhythm's not the hardest part, theory is. I still can't do it. Flame me somebody flame me
Well yes and no. Essentially anyone can learn to play any instrument (or anything else they might want to accomplish) but you have to have the aspiration and mindset to do it. If you don't want to learn to play guitar and don't strive to play guitar, then you can't. If you keep at it, the better you get. So many people buy guitars and play for a month and realize it's not as easy as you want it to be and then never touch it again. Then there are the people who work at it and they don't quit because they want to play their favorite songs and they see improvement in their abilities and they feel good about themselves and continue to play more and more.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Dec 13, 2009,
this thread seems rather useless

Having the mindset to keep practicing to get to the point in the first few months when you can actually say that you "play" guitar, is yes, the hardest part.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Last edited by B4Dkarma at Dec 13, 2009,
Anyone can learn to do anything that can be done as long as they're willing to work hard enough. Natural talent only counts in the beginning, and genius can be surpassed by hard work. It all depends on how badly you want it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I feel anyone can learn to do anything. Not just instruments, but for this discussion yes anyone can pick up a guitar and with dedication can learn how to be pretty decent. The only part I think that gets the best of everyone is when everything hurts. Not only can you not play your favorite song your hands are hurting so bad. I'd say also the left and right hand synchronization is another that gets a lot of people to quit. But all in all as long as they stick to it, they can be the guitarist they want to be.
Quote by slipknot5678
I agree, but rhythm's not the hardest part, theory is. I still can't do it. Flame me somebody flame me

You suck!

..sorry, just following orders.

I dislike the not being able to get it sounding just right part about the beginning, but then you learn technique somehow. The transition though, quite amusing, when you first start noticing yourself getting better.
Quote by slipknot5678

While it isn't really theory...

I often hear guitarists complaining about how its "impossible" to read sheet music.

I learned how to read sheet by myself within a couple weeks. It is really simple once you get an understanding.
Yes, I agree (with your first question at least).

I think the first few months is the least challenging part, to be honest. There's so much to learn, and so much room to improve. I'm at a point where I'm just playing. I've taught myself everything I can. If you think about it, you're just trying to get closer and closer to an unreachable perfection. It's kind of like an exponential equation in any type of graphic algebra (except kind of reversed). Over a certain period of time, you halve the distance from nothing to perfection. So, when you're closer to it, there's less distance to halve.

Here's a picture (the first one I found. Flipping coins is not what I'm going for, but it's a good visual still):

Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by JacobTheMe

I often hear guitarists complaining about how its "impossible" to read sheet music.

I learned how to read sheet by myself within a couple weeks. It is really simple once you get an understanding.

I've been trying to learn theory by myself for over a month. I can't do it. I truly am a pathetic person. And I suck at guitar really bad because almost everything I do I have taught myself, so for that matter I just suck at life, period.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Yea I'm guilty of the whole "impossible" to read sheet music thing. But in reality, I know I just don't want to spend time on it.
Quote by slipknot5678
I've been trying to learn theory by myself for over a month. I can't do it. I truly am a pathetic person. And I suck at guitar really bad because almost everything I do I have taught myself, so for that matter I just suck at life, period.

dude you are in my band. i let you in. you are very good guitarist. you fit perfect in rhythym. You dont need to feel so bad about yourself. youa re just fine You dont suck. period
But, I don't think any arranger should ever write a drum part for a drummer because if a drummer can't create his own Interpretation of the chart and he plays everything that's written, he becomes mechanical; he has no freedom.
~Buddy Rich~
I agree with that to the extent that i'm even embarrassed about how I used to percieve guitarists before I (with little talent) learned how to play, myself. I used to see guitarists as magical, doing the impossible, and little short of demi-gods.

After years of hard work to get through the things that I wasn't proficient at, I now see guitarists as little more or akin to mechanics, learning and plying a trade, no more mystical in talent than someone who has learned to rebuild a carborator.

Even when I play now, I feel like people can see through the ruse that it's not magic that's emanating from my strings but simple chords, rifts, or scales i've simply memorized and somewhat enhanced. In essence, that's all that it is; simply hard work and nothing more.

Anyone can do it, in time. With patience.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Don't worry guys. Its just the strengths and weaknesses that we all have.

I get the feeling that I wasn't meant to play guitar though, but rather something more classical oriented such as violin or fiddle.
Girls can't play guitar.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by slipknot5678

Aw dude, your the stupidest Uger ever.

I broke my arm six months into guitar. My LEFT arm.

I didn't let it hinder me though. I sawed off the little strip of plaster that wrapped around my hand with a turkey carving knife and kept on pickin'.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I agree with the at least 3 users who said anyone can do anything.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
With the proper amount of dedication and practice, I do think that anyone can learn to play any instrument. Obviously unless they are somehow physically or mentally unable to do so, of course. I used to have no sense of rhythm and I could not tune by ear at all. Now I cannot play a guitar unless it is perfectly in tune. I also practice almost every single day and just keep trying to get better one step at a time.
Quote by fail
Girls can't play guitar.
WHAT?

You've never heard Nancy Wilson? Bonnie Raitt?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
WHAT?

+1, I'd pound Bonnie Raitt like I were a level 3 Jigglypuff.

Edit: I can see why this was so appealing to Metaldud now
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by slipknot5678

You're a bag of cock-shafts.

And yeah, learning guitar is just being told what to do, owning a couple of hands and some muscle memory. Unless any of those things are impaired, you can play guitar.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
WHAT?

I am so happy you used Nancy Wilson as an example
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power