Page 1 of 3
I was thinking about this quote. To me it always kind of implied the possibility that we can only prove the existence of the gray matter in our skull. Well, as I thought about it I kinda proved the existence of everything else to myself.

I did this by realizing that there has been stuff I've heard that I've never thought of. If I were simply insane and sitting in a room imagining this all I'd know everything of this existance. I couldn't come up with something I didn't know. I mean that's like thinking of a color that you haven't seen.

I also came to the realization that if this is all my own imagination then that doesn't matter without an escape from this created reality. I mean without an escape route from the reality you created it becomes reality to you. Basically to my friends outside my comatose body none of this exists, but at the same time, to me, as I am now, none of them exist either.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I woke up this morning and thought, "Huh... I'm pretty hungry. I better eat before an existential crisis hits me..."
Congrats, you've regurgitated the same theories that the Ancient Greeks sat around considering before they gave up and said, "fuck it... even if this is just my imagination, I'm going to find me some hookers."

That's a loose translation of the missing last chapter from "The Republic"
It means that you can't be anything you don't believe you are. Older more formal way of saying "believe you are and you can be. Believe you can't, and you're right." Con artists use this expression successfully every day.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by magnus_maximus

Descartes was a fucking genius. "I think, therefore I am" is the nearest thing we have to proving our existence. THat's assuming our lives aren't just meaningless slideshows of imagery like what I assumed they are.

Well, given the possibility of an omniscient deity it's possible that existence started at this very moment, and all our memories are just preloaded so we can only prove one second of existence to ourselves.
metaphysics...
Quote by metallicafan616
fial

Quote by Kevin97220
lol anything divided by zero is zero, why did you need a calculator for that?
Quote by tayroar
Well, given the possibility of an omniscient deity it's possible that existence started at this very moment, and all our memories are just preloaded so we can only prove one second of existence to ourselves.
Woah. Never thought of that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by magnus_maximus
Fuck omniscient deities. Anyone who believes the Universe was created as is is ignorant, blind, deluded and any other synonym of stupid.

Life is predetermined, not because "God" said so, but because life is but a slideshow of meaningless imagery. Anything that was going to happen will happen, because we're too meaningless to change anything that has happened.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, and we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.
the game
Quote by ZanasCross
Congrats, you've regurgitated the same theories that the Ancient Greeks sat around considering before they gave up and said, "fuck it... even if this is just my imagination, I'm going to find me some hookers."

That's a loose translation of the missing last chapter from "The Republic"

So, Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender asks him if he wants something to drink, and he says, "I think not." Then he disappears.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by magnus_maximus
Fuck omniscient deities. Anyone who believes the Universe was created as is is ignorant, blind, deluded and any other synonym of stupid.

Life is predetermined, not because "God" said so, but because life is but a slideshow of meaningless imagery. Anything that was going to happen will happen, because we're too meaningless to change anything that has happened.

Not that I agree or disagree,

But do me a favor-

Prove it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Dec 13, 2009,
Well you're not imagining because It is I here doing the imagining of you (or so I'd like to believe). One of us has got to exist at some point, but until we start breaching other dimensions to compare and contrast we'll never begin to answer anyones questions. Something with string theory something, not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

I don't know, but it blows my mind just as hard as it does yours. Let us not forget that thinking too hard is bad for your health (almost always)
Quote by magnus_maximus

I wasn't saying a god is real or unreal, just stating a possibility.
Technically, he only proved that he (a thinking think) exists. Not so much physical reality, including the brain and the gray matter contained within it.

I dunno, you could probably rationalize a case for solipsism, but as for myself, I'm gonna side with the empiricists.
You could spend years theorizing on possibilities so ludicrous and extreme yet technically possible, but the simplest sound explanation tends to be the most correct one.
Last edited by AA00P at Dec 13, 2009,
What TS is saying is what I'm constantly thinking about all day. This still hasn't helped me with my understanding of existence. Example: If there was nothing before the creation of time, then there would be no time for anything to happen. I posted this a while back, and I was told there was another dimension before that. Well, what makes that dimension's laws of physics possible? I need to stop being so stupid and learn to at least come up with my own theory instead of being open to all kinds of theories. Now somebody flame me.
Honestly, people should spend less time trying to realize why they're here and more time realizing that they are here. It's easy to think on ideas you can't prove, to pontificate and segregate your beliefs from theirs. It's not, however, so easy to actually do something to make where you are NOW better. The first one seems like a cop out to me.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by slipknot5678
What TS is saying is what I'm constantly thinking about all day. This still hasn't helped me with my understanding of existence. Example: If there was nothing before the creation of time, then there would be no time for anything to happen. I posted this a while back, and I was told there was another dimension before that. Well, what makes that dimension's laws of physics possible? I need to stop being so stupid and learn to at least come up with my own theory instead of being open to all kinds of theories. Now somebody flame me.

Time is merely progression. Time can't not exist if that makes any sense. Our perception of time can be warped by gravity, but it still has to exist. Time can't just be stopped.
Quote by strat0blaster
Honestly, people should spend less time trying to realize why they're here and more time realizing that they are here. It's easy to think on ideas you can't prove, to pontificate and segregate your beliefs from theirs. It's not, however, so easy to actually do something to make where you are NOW better. The first one seems like a cop out to me.

Why do we all have to progress the world at all times? Work all the time? Sounds like a shitty existance. I'd rather have my mental masturbation thank you very much. Not everything has to be in the name of efficiency.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Matter is matter. Don't be pretencious. You're just a clump of atoms, just as much as I'm just a clump of atoms. There's no such thing as "life", because that's just a clump of atoms acting in a random way. There's no such thing as death, or life, because matter is just atoms and life is just atoms moving around in a relatively unusual way.

Then there's no such thing as love, compassion, agreement, distaste, anger, logic, reason, imagination, creativity, or fun. After all, you can't see any of those, and humankind surely didn't create emotion, right? Ever seen four million dollars in cash? Then it must not be real.

You're wading into water that's deep enough to cause your regurgitated teen angst to float above your sinking head.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by magnus_maximus
Matter is matter. Don't be pretencious. You're just a clump of atoms, just as much as I'm just a clump of atoms. There's no such thing as "life", because that's just a clump of atoms acting in a random way. There's no such thing as death, or life, because matter is just atoms and life is just atoms moving around in a relatively unusual way.

I like, just like starwars.
Quote by tayroar
Why do we all have to progress the world at all times? Work all the time? Sounds like a shitty existance. I'd rather have my mental masturbation thank you very much. Not everything has to be in the name of efficiency.

You missed the point. It's got nothing to do with efficiency. It's got to to do with trying to grasp something with thinking, like existence, that can only be rightfully understood by DOING until the end - like existing. How can you hope to understand existence if you're pondering instead of being? It's like suggesting you can learn how to fly a jet solely by reading a book.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Regardless of whether or not our entire lives are meaningless slide-shows of imagery, it's the only meaningless slide-show of imagery we ever have or ever will see, so therefore, in our menial, deceived minds, it's the most meaningful thing we will ever experience.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by magnus_maximus
How do you know that your life is anything other than a meaningless slideshow of images? I hate to use circular arguments or arguments from ignorance, but we have no idea whether what we experience is anything other than a random array of imagery set up conveniently to fool us into thinking we're 'alive'. Click your fingers now, or look out your window. Whatever you are about to do, you were always about to do. You can't change what happens, just as much as you can't change what has happened. Our eyes just lead us through life blidly and we trust our senses implicitly. We are fools to trust our senses, but it's all we have.

What a boring, uninspired way to look at something that could be otherwise amazing. Your age is showing.

And don't say that you hate to do something, then do it. Find a better way.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by shuriken
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, and we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.

"here's Tom with the weather.."

circles never end.
and if life is just pre-loaded images, what's the point? or better yet, does it matter if there is none?
Last edited by Electric Pluto at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
You missed the point. It's got nothing to do with efficiency. It's got to to do with trying to grasp something with thinking, like existence, that can only be rightfully understood by DOING until the end - like existing. How can you hope to understand existence if you're pondering instead of being? It's like suggesting you can learn how to fly a jet solely by reading a book.

Are you not existing by pondering? If I enjoy pondering, which I do, then I am being. In fact you could reverse Descarte's quote and prove that I am in fact existing by thinking.
Last edited by tayroar at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by tayroar
Are you not existing by pondering? If I enjoy pondering, which I do, then I am being. In fact you could reverse Descarte's quote and prove that I am in fact existing by thinking.

How do WE know that YOU exist though?

You could just be a reflection of an appropriate response to the question fabricated by our imagination to fortify our belief that the meaningless slide-show we are watching is real.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Of course there isn't. There's logic, and there's fallacy. I can't prove love, compassion or emotion or any of that nonsense, it can't exist. Love is irrational, it makes no sense. Why should it exist? All it does is create misery. "Love" is just a chemical reaction designed to make more desirable genetics. I have a relatively big nose which isn't sexy, so girls don't want to shag me. My nose is unlikely to be passed on, so at the end of the day, it's been eradicated, which is good for everyone.

They do exist. The mere fact that we have them labled is proof that they are real emotions. Even if love is just a chemical reaction, it's still real. Just because you understand how something works doesn't make it any less real.
Quote by tayroar

But then you're only acting in theory, not finding by any process actually necessary to prove what you believe is accurate. And I don't mean prove to me or anyone else, but you can't validate existence in motion or action or life without moving, acting, or living.

Right now, you're just trying to verify existence through thought, which means you're simply talking about a dream, something thought up.

But you know what? I like how you're discussing this.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
But then you're only acting in theory, not finding by any process actually necessary to prove what you believe is accurate. And I don't mean prove to me or anyone else, but you can't validate existence in motion or action or life without moving, acting, or living.

Right now, you're just trying to verify existence through thought, which means you're simply talking about a dream, something thought up.

But you know what? I like how you're discussing this.

Is pondering not an action though?
Quote by magnus_maximus
I'm only 18, the fuck do I know? Life is ultimately meaningless, but Hell, we may as well satisfy our carnal urges and make our senses give us as much pleasure as possible. We're all going to end up as ash, anyway.

Exactly. Suggesting that you know enough about life at 18 to declare it factually meaningless, even philosophically meaningless, is like suggesting that you can say the entirety of an era in history is worthless because the first five years weren't stable. I've got seven years on you and I still don't know as much as most people who've studied and lived for decades longer than me to discern this answer. That's why I'm not talking like I actually know the answer and, instead, I'm just posing questions and theories.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by tayroar
Is pondering not an action though?

Not really. If thinking were an action, I'd be able to change the way you believe simply by doing it, park a car with my mind, etc. The second is more literal, but the principle is the same. Thought is the birth of action, but thought without action is just an illusion of action, I think.

Action without thought is just as bad, though. I don't beleive that, honestly, one can really and truly exist without the other one.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by magnus_maximus
I'm only 18, the fuck do I know? Life is ultimately meaningless, but Hell, we may as well satisfy our carnal urges and make our senses give us as much pleasure as possible. We're all going to end up as ash, anyway.

This is a pretty cohesive argument for personal freedom.

The problem with it is that others don't think the same way, and to fuck them over is inhibiting their personal freedom.

Heigh-ho, debate go...
Quote by magnus_maximus
That's probably the Jaegerbombs, Lager and vodka talking, though.

Oh jesus this explains a lot

Well, I can't fault you for thinking like you do. The last thing I need at this time of night is an existential crisis anyway...
Page 1 of 3