Page 1 of 2
do you have to be a great guitarist to be in a prog-rock band? no

do you have to be a great guitarist to be in a prog-rock band that doesn't suck? yes
I'd think that you'd want to be as skilled as you could no matter what genre you like to play. It always helps to be good at your instrument - why would you want to suck?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by JacobTheMe
You do, but the rest of us don't.

Shut up, you are a performer.

You dont have to be great, just know some theory.

You dont even need to be a guitarist, look at ELP.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
Shut up, you are a performer.

Am I missing something?
No. Technically speaking if you wanted to... say, play drums in a prog-rock band, no you wouldn't have to be a great guitarist. And even if you wanted to play GUITAR, god-forbid, in a prog-rock band, you wouldn't have to be great, if you didn't mind that you were in, most likely, a shit band in the first place.

In other words.... yes.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Am I missing something?

Yes, I like you.
Have you ever heard a good prog rock band with a crappy guitarist? No.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Guitar0player
Yes, I like you.

I would assume so seeing as I do have a penis.

Unless your sig is a filthy liar.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I would assume so seeing as I do have a penis.

Unless your sig is a filthy liar.

I love penises, my love.
I dunno, i managed to make a song that sounded progish in college and a true prog elitist said he thought it was good xD

I listened back to it recently, it was played on some horrendous telecaster at college that went out of tune non stop, the mid section guitar was terribly out of tune
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Nah. Just hit random notes, then its progressive.

What are you listening to?!?
I dunno, Steven Wilson never caught me as a great guitarist, just a great composer.
Eh, personally it depends. There are prog rock bands out there who don't make particularly difficult songs. I love Porcupine Tree and they make FANTASTIC songs, but to be honest most of their guitar work isn't particularly difficult. Steven Wilson is a very talented songwriter, but he rarely shreds and most of the songs technicality comes from interesting chord progressions and powerful but not overly difficult guitar work.

You don't need to be a god, but some theory and skill is definitely advisable.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Quote by InfiniteRain
Eh, personally it depends. There are prog rock bands out there who don't make particularly difficult songs. I love Porcupine Tree and they make FANTASTIC songs, but to be honest most of their guitar work isn't particularly difficult. Steven Wilson is a very talented songwriter, but he rarely shreds and most of the songs technicality comes from interesting chord progressions and powerful but not overly difficult guitar work.

You don't need to be a god, but some theory and skill is definitely advisable.

Exactly what I meant.

Unless you are in a prog metal band...
Quote by Sleepwalker 666
You have to beat this man.

I don't wanna beat Mikael, he's awesome . Ok, maybe with a paddle...

Quote by Guitar0player
I dunno, Steven Wilson never caught me as a great guitarist, just a great composer.

He's not the best guitarist ever, no, but he's certainly got some interesting time sig stuff going on, say in Arriving... and Anesthetize. Also, he's an incredible singer, and great lyricist imo. So you don't have to be incredible, but some people would argue that PT isn't actually that prog :/
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Dec 13, 2009,
You definitely have to get theory down first.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Same with Adam Jones's guitar work. It's not difficult to learn. But to come up with the music, as a whole prog-band, requires more than just 'a guitar player'.
R.A.G.E.
If only people knew what prog rock actually means...

You don't have to be great. John Lennon wasn't a great guitarist, just okay. Syd Barrett wasn't a great guitar player.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If only people knew what prog rock actually means...

You don't have to be great. John Lennon wasn't a great guitarist, just okay. Syd Barrett wasn't a great guitar player.

I wouldn't call Pink Floyd's first album prog, and he didn't contribute all that much on the second one.
One can define a prog rock band as a band that has either switched genres, writes complex, flowing and/or eclectic music, make concept albums or Rock Operas, incorporates elements of Jazz and/or classical music, discusses poetic, mythical themes lyrically instead of the rck cliches of love and angst and such, uses instruments not found in traditional rock bands, employs excessive instrumental jamming, and/or deviates from the basic, 4/4-verse-chorus-bridge format.

Ergo, in addition to all the prog rock band and artists like Rush, Frank Zappa and Dream Theater we know and love, The Who, The Beatles, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Journey, Bruce Springsteen(Take a look at the E Street Band and tell me that there isn't at least one odd instrument), Coldplay, Green Day, and many others most of us wouldn't call prog are in fact prog.

You don't need to be kickass to be a prog guitarist. It helps, but it always does. You just need to be eclectic, have a unique, occasionally complex(I love David Gilmour, but Pink Floyd's guitar bits aren't the hardest in the world usually) style, ponder the fantastical if you write lyrics, and know what you're doing on your instrument.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Guitar0player

Steven Wilson describes himself as a producer who happens to also know how to play the guitar.

I have this older Guitar World CD where he describes how he learned how to play guitar, etc. It's terribly interesting. He says that he messed with recording gear and learning about effects before learning how to play guitar properly, and that he was more into making it all sound good, rather than learning technique, etc.

And, no, you don't have to be a great guitarist, IMO. You may need to learn up on implementing different time signatures, and how to properly use certain effects and rhythm/lead methods, but you don't have to be great.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I don't think you have to be great at guitar for this as long as you're rather decent around your instrument. The most important thing IMO is for you to be able to experiment and forget that you're playing "just a guitar".
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
No, you could always be a great bassist, drummer, keyboardist or singer.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by necrosis1193
One can define a prog rock band as a band that [...] incorporates elements of Jazz and/or classical music

I'm sorry but, no, it doesn't. It's irritating when people advertises the "high quality" of prog by claiming it containing the "complexities" of jazz and classical. At face value, sure, this seems like an intuitive impression. Prog, after all, has lots of different sections and employ more technical playing and borrow from scales, chords, and obvious features usually associated with jazz and classical music. But after even a brief analysis, it becomes obvious: prog only takes jazz and classical at face value and contain none of the core, genuine elements that make those music what they are.

Contrary to what prog fans like to think, classical and especially jazz music isn't progressive. They're quite the opposite for the most part. Classical, especially in its most popular image (the common practice era), emphasizes on maintaining a modest form. Most pieces contain just two or three distinct sections. It values the attention on a single idea that is thoroughly explored within a piece. Prog, on the other hand, loves sticking as many ideas as possible within one piece without any real connections with each other. Jazz is even more static in form, refraining the sections over and over again.

Prog fans will also point out that many prog bands "sound classical", because they use the harmonic minor scale. This is, again, completely face value. Harmonic minor is seldom used in its scalar form. It's just a derivation of using dominant V harmony in minor. But this is besides the point. Scales are only basic tools of any style of music. The main principles that actually concern classical are voice leading, counterpoint, and motif development. If a piece of music retained these qualities but was built on a scale that isn't the major or minor diatonic, it would still be classical. Unsurprisingly, none of these principles are incorporated in most prog music, because these aren't so obvious. And what of bands that sound "symphonic" or "orchestral"? Aside from Micheal Romeo, I've yet to hear a prog arranger that actually made decent use of an orchestra.
When did I say that they were progressive, or that they take more than the face value? Relax man, I just meant they take a few stylistic cues now and then, not copying the styles in a rock format, no need for a rant.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
When did I say that they were progressive, or that they take more than the face value? Relax man, I just meant they take a few stylistic cues now and then, not copying the styles in a rock format, no need for a rant.

I'm not trying to rant, just clarifying. And I know that some prog fans have convinced themselves that prog music is made complex by borrowing from the techniques of jazz and classical. So, just giving them a rain check.
Page 1 of 2