Indeed I am! I'm moving to London in february with three mates/band mates, from South Wales. We've been down there twice to look around, visit estate agents, pubs, see what the transport's like in x area, the people, etc. We found some great places to rent around about Regent's Park.

I've spoken to people who live/lived in London, their experiences, etc. I'm just wondering whether anybody who lives (more so, moved to) London can tell me what to expect, especially those who live near Westminster, Camden Town, etc.

inb4:
getting stabbed
getting raped
getting mugged
going home dissapointed
don't bother
cumin' blood
Quote by ~Moby Dick~
"
inb4:
getting stabbed
getting raped
getting mugged
going home dissapointed
don't bother
cumin' blood"

the pit is at a new low atm. anyone who says that shit is just bringing the pit down to new lows.

and yeah sorry man i got no advice. a just wanted to say that coz im freaking bored.

Yeah, I knew what the guy above you said was going to be said, but I just couldn't be bothered to put in the effort to verbalize it.

The thread's existed for about 20 minutes, at least, and it only has 3 views (Since I entered, a minute ago). The pit slow tonight or what?

EDIT: Wow, nearly an hour (I was way off lol).
Aren't you that same guy who was hitting on some 40 year old woman
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by reb_49
Aren't you that same guy who was hitting on some 40 year old woman

Twas vice versa, and that was concluded
Moving from Wales (one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen) to London (the shittiest city I've ever seen)?

Wat.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies at gunpoint.
Where words fail, bullets speak.
Violence never solved anything, except for every conflict ever.

30-Day Album progress:
DONE.
Go ahead, click it. Ya know you want to.
Quote by Bizzare/mu/tant
Moving from Wales (one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen) to London (the shittiest city I've ever seen)?

Wat.

That was a week's holiday and google images told you about Wales?

South Wales for the most part is a shit hole.
Quote by Kyle.E

Yeah, closer to 8 day holiday... And really? That's the part of Wales I was in...
Keep your friends close, and your enemies at gunpoint.
Where words fail, bullets speak.
Violence never solved anything, except for every conflict ever.

30-Day Album progress:
DONE.
Go ahead, click it. Ya know you want to.
wow well be prepared for losing money and becoming poorer. it is a lot more expensive to live in london, not just going ut but rent and all the living costs.
things to expect round camden, plenty of places to go out, see bands etc. and most of all CAMDEN MARKET. gotta go there. many stalls selling rock/alt clothing. its amazing to say the least
Quote by rabidguitarist
Nothing gay about playing with another mans dick. I bet all of you play with your own.

he just owned everybody

Gary(L)Kirsty-Lea<3

RIP Ronnie James Dio. You will be deeply missed. You truely are a hero and a pioneer in metal
1st - Estate Agents will try to screw you over.
2nd - You will probably get a culture shock, because of the diversity of people in london compared to whales. edit: wales lol
3rd - be careful i moved to london three months ago and our house has been burgled twice.

Good Luck with the move
Last edited by yeoman125 at Dec 13, 2009,
You are going to get mugged, attacked etc. eventually.

I live in a nice part and got mugged/beaten up for my bike by two 17-18 year olds when I was 12. However, that said bands always come to London so it's more fun I guess.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
You have to visit Denmark Street at some point. If I remember rightly it's relatively near Camden. Wonderful.
Quote by 89cruefan
wow well be prepared for losing money and becoming poorer. it is a lot more expensive to live in london, not just going ut but rent and all the living costs.
things to expect round camden, plenty of places to go out, see bands etc. and most of all CAMDEN MARKET. gotta go there. many stalls selling rock/alt clothing. its amazing to say the least

WAS amazing. The last time I went (early September) it had pretty much finished selling out and was just full of the tacky tourist crap, with the exception of two or three shops which were packed with Linkin Park and Marilyn Manson merch. It's a good place to hang out etc but I can't recommend it as a shopping destination anymore
Quote by Kyle.E

The grass is always greener ...

Don't buy drugs on the street; fish for phone numbers instead.
You can get really cheap good food from independent shops - don't live off supermarkets.
Find out when the local markets are on.
Learn to navigate by pubs.
Expect the plague to hit you. Followed swiftly by a great big mother****ing fire.

Enjoy!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
My little brother lived next to Camden, he really liked it for the cool pubs etc. As far as I know he's never been mugged or raped, and he's been living there for 2 or 3 years now. Good luck with the move, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
...Bleep Bloop...
I have a love/hate relationship with London, having lived here all my life, Central is beautiful, but overcrowded, can't stick around there for too long as i get exhausted trying to get through idiots who don't look where they are going or care about anything except themselves.

Camden has a charm but can be a little dodgy, as long as you keep wallets and phones in jeans pockets and keep your eyes peeled you should be fine and it can be enjoyable. I love the parks around London, Hyde park and Green park are really nice, Regents park is great, and the south bank is cool too.

The way i see it is, you can either have a really good day in London, or a really crap day, around this time of year its all lit up for Christmas so it looks nice, but its insane with the shoppers.

EDIT: Touch wood, i have never been successfully mugged or pickpocketed, although once after coming home from a drink, some lads started talking to me and i felt one of them putting his hand in my pocket reaching for my wallet, luckily i swatted his hand away and walked off into a crowd, making sure i wasn't followed, quite a lucky break as they could have easily just beat me up.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Dec 13, 2009,
denmark street's not that near to camden.

i live like a 10 minute walk from regents park. it's a council estate so obviously it's not the safest place in the world.

you can't piss in london without spending money so be aware that it's expensive as i'm sure you've already heard. to call london a shithole is grossly incorrect though. you can have the best and worst times of your life here just like anywhere else. just be prepared to learn alot about living in a big city and enjoy yourself.

edit: people seem to really love camden. when i was 15 it was interesting but i feel like it's losing it's charm in some ways now. maybe my tastes have changed.

edit2: navigating by pubs doesn't seem like a good idea. they're shutting down everyday here. just become familiar with the bus route numbers and the underground lines. the last tube train is normally at midnight. after that you would have to get a night bus which can either be very scary or very mellow depending on what drug you're on and how many party people jump on and off.
Last edited by walidb123 at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Kyle.E
Indeed I am! I'm moving to London in february with three mates/band mates, from South Wales. We've been down there twice to look around, visit estate agents, pubs, see what the transport's like in x area, the people, etc. We found some great places to rent around about Regent's Park.

I've spoken to people who live/lived in London, their experiences, etc. I'm just wondering whether anybody who lives (more so, moved to) London can tell me what to expect, especially those who live near Westminster, Camden Town, etc.

inb4:
getting stabbed
getting raped
getting mugged
going home dissapointed
don't bother
cumin' blood

I did love the Westminster district. Belgravia was nice as well.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by duggyrocks
This thread is relevant to my interests. Looking to get out of this boring country after i finish a levels. Ive heard london is not the place to go to uni though, what with the prices and all.

I'm considering moving there in a few years aswell, it's not too far to travel from where I already live, and I doubt i'm anymore likely to get mugged than I am in Birmingham.
Quote by walidb123
denmark street's not that near to camden.

Its about five or ten minutes on a number 29 bus i think, although to walk it would take longer, so you're sort of right, its not bad to get a bus but walking is a bit of a mission.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Thanks for advice guys

Around Westminster/Camden, what's it like getting a parking spot? I don't mind having to walk for a few minutes to get to my car (though it'll be tricky with carrying things from/to my car). I think I'll have to ask the agent's about designated parking areas for the apartments/flats...