yes, they are expected to be able to play any style, without time to practise.
they get told play this or sight read this and its there job to do it
yeah that is sort of a prerequisite to be a session guy. They gotta be highly technical on top of being versed in a lot of different styles.
Probably cause playing that shred style guitar is extremely difficult, and if you can play that you can play anything less on the electric guitar.

E.g. If i can shred up and down a scale real fast, it's fairly easy to adjust down to playing a slow moody blues solo.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
Probably cause playing that shred style guitar is extremely difficult, and if you can play that you can play anything less on the electric guitar.

E.g. If i can shred up and down a scale real fast, it's fairly easy to adjust down to playing a slow moody blues solo.

not true whatsoever
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by julzius

Blues scale =/= blues solo.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
i see where this is going
im leaving before it turns into another speed vs feeling argument
Yeah yeah yeah. shred doesn't equal blues. Don't compare the two. Blah blah. Is it over yet?
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Quote by innertom
i see where this is going
im leaving before it turns into another speed vs feeling argument

not necessarily. They are just stating that a playing a certain speed doesnt mean that
you can play anything slower. You cant apply the distributive property to playing.

Tekniks arent as strict in shredding. You can throw notes into a scale that dont even belong
and it may not sound offensive to the ear. May even sound cool.

When playing a blues solo..one inappropriate note can leave a sour taste in the listeners mouth.

For example....sometimes when I shred on an A minor Pentatonic scale...I will throw in the C#. 1,2,2#,3,4,5....instead of 1,2,3,4,5. But i only use the 2# on the G string. Cant get away with that playing slowly.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 13, 2009,
when i`ve done session work i`ve had a week to familarise myself with the material, nomally get a bunch of cds shipped and a list of what we might play at the audition,
Quote by julzius

no it doesn't, which is the reason why not any shredder can be a session guitarist. and players with this mentality do not last long.

the prerequisite for a session guitarist is that he can play anything that is put in front of him, thus you need to be good in several styles, and that requires the chops to shred if you need it and the ability to play blues or country or anything should you be called upon.
Quote by julzius

no. false. 10000x false. it may seem easy to play the blues, but its not easy to feel it, which is the entire point. you ever heard yngwie malmsteen try to play the blues? thats what happens when a guy with chops takes a "technical" approach to blues and just slows it down
Quote by julzius

dont listen to this tool. blues doesnt take skill like shredding does, it takes lots of practice and genuine feel.
Either way - most session folks can feel a pretty nice blues. They just need to be able to play anything - and be able to play it again and again exactly as they did the last time.
Wow, people really took the piss outta my comment.

You can not say that blues is harder than shreddin malmsteen? (btw, i don't think his blues is that bad?)

But yer, totally forgot about the 'feeling'.... or should i call it bend and vibrato?
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by fixationdarknes
Not harder. Different.

But not easier either ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
But not easier either ...

No, playing blues is not easier than shredding
You'd be surprised. It takes a lot of skill to make a blues solo that doesn't sound like pentatonic wank.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by julzius
Wow, people really took the piss outta my comment.

You can not say that blues is harder than shreddin malmsteen? (btw, i don't think his blues is that bad?)

But yer, totally forgot about the 'feeling'.... or should i call it bend and vibrato?

Don't make this into a blues vs. shred argument. What you said is not what everyone thinks. It's like making someone train every single shred lick in the world for a whole 6 months so that they're prepared to play country music. Does it make sense? The answer is no that's why if you can play shred that doesn't mean you can play everything else.
it's probably the same reason if you go on youtube and see a blues guy demonstrating a guitar there's always loads of angry comments saying "WTF why do all these ******s play generic blues lameness, PLAY SOMETHING GOOD I WANNA HEAR SOMEONE GOOD PLAY THAT GUITAR, GO DIE IN A FIRE".

there's so many people out there that generally think that shred = the only way to be good at guitar so it's the only way many session musicians can show anyone that they are worth what they get paid.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube

there's so many people out there that generally think that shred = the only way to be good at guitar so it's the only way many session musicians can show anyone that they are worth what they get paid.

Word
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[