Hey everyone! I am looking for some constructive criticism on my vocals. I am new to guitar (only a couple years) but singing even more so (months at most), and I don't want to be training myself the wrong way. If you listen to my video it will be obvious that I haven't received any formal training, and that I still have a long way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb4n1npUQu8 is a link to my cover of Shinedown's 45. It is capo ed on the 3rd fret due to my voice being to low for the original key and not being able to reach higher notes an octave up. I will take "you suck"s, but I would rather get sound advice on how to improve and if this seems like a decent key for my voice. Thanks for you time!
sounds pretty good bro! By the way you talked about your voice, I expected it to suck haha but it sounds good. Just have confidence man!
Overall sounds pretty decent. A little pitchy in places, but never painful. You have a tendency to go a little flat. Not bad... just me being a bit nit-picky because you asked for feedback.

As you go higher, your throat tightens up, which limits both your resonance and causes you to go flat.

You need to open up your throat and aim your voice towards the front of the mouth. Start with aiming somewhere around the back of your front teeth, and adjust that focus a bit higher and wider for high notes and a bit lower and narrower for low notes.

CT

PS. Is it just me, or does the tuning on the guitar sound a bit dodgy?
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks for the feedback. Like I said I was looking for feedback, so I'm glad you were picky. I do tend to notice that my throat tends to tighten up as I go higher. It's been something I've been trying to work on, but for the life of me I still haven't figured out how to not tense up.

As for the guitar tuning, I'm guessing it's an intonation problem from using a capo. I'm somewhat musically challenged, and I figured the reason it sounded a little off when I originally recorded it was because I'm so used to hearing that song in its original key.