Hi guys

Not sure if theres a few threads about this already, maybe i was just searching for the wrong thing.

Ive never really had a theory teacher, or a teacher at all. I picked up playing songs and learning progressivly harder songs. I generally like think modes, and then go and research. Ive got the feeling my theory is shotty and all over the place though.

What im looking for is a series of books that teach theory, ones where at the end of each chapter they have exercises to the point id read the chapter and incorperate this into my playing, then come back a few days l8r to test myself on it with blank exercises. On a very basic level "Write a major scale" then draw it up.

I could just create exactly what im after, but i know there are books on what im after already structured into levels of playing and an easy process of learning.
I think generally i saw something about 8 grades of these books standardised from various authors etc. Just wondering if anyone has used these books and can nominate a well structured course i could build for myself?

Thankyou very much all.
google "rgt exam books"
they have some pretty good grade 1-8 books on acoustic/electric, don't know how pricey they are though
Theory FOr the Contempory Guitarist - Guy Capuzzo
http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Contemporary-Guitarist-Guy-Capuzzo/dp/0739013068

It's awesome. It has worksheets and things for practising just the theory, but everything you learn is applicable to guitar and it shows you ways you can use it.

Check it out.
I've been learning out of the Berklee books since I started. Anybody got opinions on how good they are?
Just buy a hal leonard book or go to your guitar shop and browse the material, you should be able to see which lay out appeals to you. All the information is the same. But I'd recommend a teacher personally.

EDIT: also, perhaps youtube guitar lessons. I've seen a couple that are good and helpful. Aswell as the obvious financial benefit from them.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Last edited by Venice King at Dec 13, 2009,
Grades don't provide a course, as such, they're more like exam-based checkpoints. If you pick up the graded theory books you'll still need a teacher to teach you the material.

I can't suggest any theory books as standalone resources but would recommend getting a teacher.
Freep, is there any point where one can stop taking lessons?

I'd feel kinda silly going in for guitar lessons alongside teenagers when I'm into my 30's, etc.

Whenever you feel you've stopped learning is the best one. I know you might feel silly but bear in mind that you're (hopefully) doing what you want, improving your playing and enjoying yourself.

I'm a professional guitar teacher but I still go for lessons - does that seem strange? Frankly - I don't know everything, and I know next to nothing in real terms about classical and jazz. Wouldn't it be stupid for me to pass up an opportunity to study with someone who can teach me that stuff?

Anyway, I think you should feel proud that you go for lessons - you're not one of those guys who'd love to play guitar (or play better!) but doesn't because he feels he's too old to learn anything. That, in my opinion, is a far worse place to be in.
Quote by Kublai Khan

I'd feel kinda silly going in for guitar lessons alongside teenagers when I'm into my 30's, etc.
Don't worry about it - I thought the same. I got lessons for my 34th birthday, and its the best thing I could have done. Admittedly I have private lessons rather than actually being in a group of teenagers, but my teacher comes straight from school to me