Found a used ampeg svt classic head and 8 x 10 cab for 2000$. the head is only three months old, and in good shape, but the cab is in a bit rougher shape.

I am fairly uneducated int he world of amplification. What should I look for when checking this thing out? also, how often do tubes need to be replaced and what is the cost? thanks
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
Check for volume fluctuations of any kind. look at the power tubes in the back. are there any marks like burn marks on the tubes and such. turn all the knobs make sure they work. plug the cabinety into each speaker output on the back.(if i remember correctly it has a switch on the back for different ohm settings and not different outputs as this is the norm on bass amps) Try turning it up to see when it overdrives. try turning the gain up with the master volume low to see when you get preamp distortion and then turn the master way up and inch the gain up until you get power amp distortion just to see what kind of different overdrives you can get.

Preamp tubes will generally last a really really long time. especially if you don't overdrive the preamp tubes. I'm talking many many years here as long as you don't blow a fuse or something(i did this). replacing preamp tubes is super easy as it's just plug in and play. no biasing required.

Power tubes will go out more often than preamp tubes because of how much power they have to handle. You can tell when these need replaced by checking where you get power amp overdrive and remembering it. then from time to time see if you get power amp overdrive at lower volumes. if so, it's probably a good idea to replace the power amp tubes because they are getting ready to go out. They can just go out without notice but that's pretty rare. there's usually some sort of sign. If you play the amp really loud and almost daily the power amp tubes should last a year to a year and a half(maybe more if you're lucky) My power tubes in my peavey are 3 years old(original tubes from when i bought it,and i believe i got it 3 years ago...it's at least that old) and while i've lost some headroom before overdrive they're still kicking pretty strong. I only play it once a week for 5 - 6 hours though as it stays at the place my band practices.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
2000 sounds like way too much for a used set up that runs about 2500 new especially if the 8x10 is in rough shape.
New for 2500? The SVT CL head alone is like 2100 here. then the cab is lie another 1300. then there is tax..

Also, I sort of understand checking for the overdrives and whatnot.. The guy I am buying it off of is a full time touring christian acoustic guitarist/singer. He bought it new five eyars ago and replaced the tubes a year ago. ive never used any effects, but my understanding is overdrive is a sort of distortion.

As well, I found a better deal buying the head off that christian guy for $1000(including 2 of his cds lol) and then buying a non gigged, perfect condition 8x10 from another guy for $650.

Really, what are the problems/common issues with these amps? The way i see it is sort of like old cars vs. new cars. Your new ford focus breaks down and you cant see underneath the massive pile of wires, computers, fuel injection, etc. But when your old 1978 Buick Regal breaks down, you can open it up and check piece by piece and actually know what your looking at.

Tube amps seem sort of like an old car to me. Like if theres soemthign wrong, it should be obvious, easy to find, diagnose, and fix.

I assume the problems regarding Tube amps are simple things like tubes, fuses, etc - maintenance type stuff.. Hence people still use the old amps from the 60s, 70s, and 80s?

Like I said, I've been playing for quite a while, and know the sound I want, I just dont really understand the mechanics of amps/guitars.

Thanks, you guys are really helpful
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
Quote by Zycho
2000 sounds like way too much for a used set up that runs about 2500 new especially if the 8x10 is in rough shape.

Not mention if the head is only three months old it was made in Vietnam, opposed to St. Louis.
I found another deal. $1000 for a 5 year old head retubed last year from a christian artist who never used it much, he played guitar and piano. and then a 8x10 E from a guy who bought it and never moved it from his basement. The cab is in MINT shape.
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
is this canadian dollars? that seems very high!

if the cab is in rough shape its not worth more then $500 USD if the head is only 3 months old then basicly expect to pay very close to brand new price for it and really dont worry about the amp unless previous owner has beat on it.

as far as the cab is concerned i would take off the grille and play on it to make sure all speakers are moving and play at a very high volume to see if it can handle it. makes no sense to try it out at a low volume only to take it home crank it up and it ***on you

the amp should be okay just look for obvious signs of wear or mistreatment
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
ampeg svt-cl amps are pretty reliable really. The only problems you should expect are the normal things like tubes going out. remember to carry a few extra preamp tubes and a screw driver around just in case. Odds, are they won't go out on you but if one does it's nice to be able to take a break at practice/gig and just throw in a new one.

Forgot to mention. DO NOT turn a tube amp on without a cabinet plugged in. Great way to blow power tubes there. It probably won't do anything if you do it real quick and then turn it back off but it's better not to. You can have it on and in standby without a cabinet plugged in. just don't switch out of standby without a cab plugged in. Power tubes require the resistance of the speakers at all times.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I used to look on American ebay and you could get an SVt 2 pro for less then a grand. so i would defiantly try and lower the head to a grand or less. $800 sounds good for an older working head. Also for a cab 800 for a good one a couple of years of old.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Zycho
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by fatgoogle
I used to look on American ebay and you could get an SVt 2 pro for less then a grand. so i would defiantly try and lower the head to a grand or less. $800 sounds good for an older working head. Also for a cab 800 for a good one a couple of years of old.

you do realize that an svt2 pro is not an all tube head. prices will be much different.

i dunno where all you guys live but the head is $1700 US and the cab is $1000...that's a $2700 rig for $2000 and it just got retubed last year. Also, he doesn't have to pay taxes this way and that adds up when you pay this much. well...maybe you're supposed to but who does anyway for this stuff.

Quote by markr17
I found another deal. $1000 for a 5 year old head retubed last year from a christian artist who never used it much, he played guitar and piano. and then a 8x10 E from a guy who bought it and never moved it from his basement. The cab is in MINT shape.

Sweet. that's a very good deal on the head since it was just retubed and wasn't used constantly. How much does the other guy want for the cab?

EDIT: also, remeber that all brands of tubes will sound quite different, and even in the same brand no two tubes are completely identical. Switching out V1(the first preamp tube in the signal chain) will have the most affect on your tone. Feel free to pick up some random preamp tubes and see what you like. One of my favorite things about tube amps(beside the overall tube tone's warmth) is the slight customizability of tube amps. it won't completely change the head, but it will definitely make a noticeable difference.

Also, all preamp tube types are interchangeable. If the manual or something written on the inside of the amp tells you to use a certain type, that is only a suggestion. Any preamp tube will fit as long as it has the right number of prongs...and i'm pretty sure that's universal. never seen any different anyway.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Dec 14, 2009,
Thanks, and I believe that is a fair price.

around here:

NEW SVT CL = $2300 + tax = $2500

New 8x10 E = $1200 + tax = $1300

Sub-Total = $3800

Dont' forget tax (10%) = $380

Total = $4180

Did I mention I live 2 hours away from the nearest music store? over 400 kms driving a half ton truck = $50. Oh wait! Cord for head to cab? another $50!!

That comes to a total of $4230. A year ago my friend bought a brand new ampeg set (SVT CL & 8X10) up from a smaller, more pricey shop. His was over $4500.

Also, I understand there are multiple imputs on cab and multiple outputs on the head. Which will I use? Thanks
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
I've never understood what the S emoticon ( :S ) is supposed to represent...
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
i paid only $550 for my used 8x10 and that was with it being in great shape and that was from guitar center of all places. just trying to put things in perspective.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by FrankieHCO
I've never understood what the S emoticon ( :S ) is supposed to represent...

I think it's kind of a cautious, unsure type thing.

If you have active pickups you will use the -15 db. if you have passive pickups you will use the 0db as that is no change to your signal. At least, that is the purpose. you could actually use either input for either type. it will just give a slightly different tone. If i remember correctly 0db will give you a tighter tone than the -15db.

As for output, it won't matter which you use as long as it's speaker out(lol) just make sure that the switch in the back is set to the correct resistance.(ohms)
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian