i am pretty interested in getting this guitar, i really like it a lot, just wanted to know if there was anything i should be aware of ? i'd get it around christmas probably

i know i have i tried it and loved it, and it certainly did feel and sound like a guitar worth more than 700 bucks, and i know gretsch is a well known and popular brand
was just wondering what people thought, looking for external opinions here =)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5122-Double-Cutaway-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=514651
As far as i've understood, the Electromatics are sort of like Gretsch's version of Epiphone. Not bad guitars, by any means, but entirely different beasts than the premier lines Gretsch offers. If it feels like it's worth the money to you, by all means go for it. Only you can make that decision.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
i guess they're a bit higher end than epiphone though.. i mean, i saw a few bands play them live, and they sounded great :-)

the only thing that's kind of annoying to me is that it doesn't seem possible to open this guitar up, so i would not be able to swap the electronics if i decided i didn't like the pickups anymore in the future, or the pots if one of them broke, or even if the jack input fell on the inside.
I owned one, it crapped out on me hard at a gig, about ten minutes into a 3 hour set, so iheld a grudge and sold it!
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
They're not entirely different beasts, they're great guitars.
You can swap pups and electronics to your hearts content.
The electromatics are higher end than epiphone except for the junior jet models which are like the epiphone models in that price range. The guitars are really nice but the professional collection, which is gretsch's higher end models are better. Really, the only thing that keeps you from being exactly from the pro line are the pickups. If you put tv jones pickups you are basically set. The electromatic line is well worth it and can perform better than some expensive guitars that are double the price of the g5122dc.
Tried it and loved it, probably ranks among my favourite guitars I've played that I don't own. And I normally play prog metal.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I love the G5122 and the G5120. Both are very flexible and awesome guitars. Love the neck and the pups on them...
I can't find the white electromatic pro jet solid body in the uk :'(
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by MacMan2001
I can't find the white electromatic pro jet solid body in the uk :'(

The white pro jet is no longer made. Ebay usually has one or two up for sale a month. Just keep an eye on ebay and at your local guitar store to see if one is available used.
Quote by Cory045
The white pro jet is no longer made. Ebay usually has one or two up for sale a month. Just keep an eye on ebay and at your local guitar store to see if one is available used.

And I'll bet the UK didn't see any.

Ah well, I was gonna replace the gold hardware on it anyway, so maybe it's no bad thing. Might go for the silver one, but I can't help but think it's a bit too.... "glam" if you know what I mean.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould