I'm the lead guitarist in my band, and we're at the point at which my terrible Marshall half stack will no longer do.

Is the Peavey 6505+ really as good as everyone says? I'm not really trying to spend a fortune, and odds are i'll need to buy it used but are they really THAT good?

As far as the style of music i play... Think a mix between Opeth/Death/Warbringer with Jeff Loomis-esque guitar solos.

Basically a modern thrash band with major influences of Death and Progressive metal.

Is this the right amp for my type of band?
the only conclusive answer ull get and should take seriously is to go try it yourself. "good" is up to u and no one else.

yes, its awesome.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I would recommend to try any amp extensively before you buy it.

I own a 5150, my best friend has a 6505+

and honestly they're amazing amps, especially for any metal type of music. They're very powerful and raw.

See if you can pick one up used, check craigslist. Usually you can find a good deal on one.
Don't cheap out on a good cab though, look in to avatar cabs.
Last edited by think11270 at Dec 13, 2009,
It will sound really good for those things... It has a really forceful sounding gain, and its very tight in the low end so it doesn't get mushy at all in the fast parts. They're really fun to play. And the cleans aren't nearly as bad as everyone says. They're just fine.
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
They are great amps, but if you're looking for mainly a lead tone, I'd look into something different. They have a sick rhythm tone, but IMO, there are better amps out their for a lead tone (Mesa .50 Cal +, DC-5, Mark III).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks a lot everybody!

But they're not good for lead tones? I'll probably buy one used, but is that true?
not good for leads?? maybe some people find it a little fizzy for a strict lead tone, but slap an eq in the loop and get the right speakers, its perfect. go look up machine head, trivium, early killswitch, and then tell me its not good for lead tones...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
not good for leads?? maybe some people find it a little fizzy for a strict lead tone, but slap an eq in the loop and get the right speakers, its perfect. go look up machine head, trivium, early killswitch, and then tell me its not good for lead tones...

I didn't say they couldn't do lead.

I said that there are better amps for lead in that price range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Want my advice? Look into the Bugera 6262. It's basically the same amp, but for half the price. Plus, the reliability issues you may have heard about with those amps are fixed.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I really like their lead tone actually, but I guess I'm a fanboy...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
they are nice, but i would try it out before you buy it. i considered one, but i much prefered the sound of a Mesa Dual Recto. unless you play it, theres not much point in buying it or even considering it
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Alright I'll keep all of that in mind, thanks for the help.

I understand I need to play it for myself but after buying a marshall MG half stack i no longer trust myself

Actually i'm looking into the Bugera 6262 as well know, especially since it's more in my price range.

What's the main difference between the Peavey and Bugera?

And i read somewhere putting in different tubes can even make the Bugera sound better/same as the Peavey...
Last edited by KG Karnage at Dec 13, 2009,
As others have said, its all personal preference and you need to try for yourself. The one thing you can definitely say about a 6505 is they sound unique and have a voice of their own. (Although the Bugera clones it pretty darn well). I have never found any amp brutal enough for my liking until I got my 6505+. Even the Mesa Dual rectifier I tried didnt quite do it for me (although it was good).
Most Guitar Center's carry them, and if you have a local shop with any selection chances are they have one too.

For the price, it's harder to find a better sounding high-gain amp. Also check out the Bugera 6262 which was suggested above, it sounds exactly the same if not better and a new one costs even less then a used Peavey.
Yeah i'm just not sure about the Bugera, some people are telling me its worse, some better.

Also, I dont really want the clone- i want the real deal. So if Bugera is just a clone that's almost as good then I'd just go with the Peavey.

Once again, thanks a lot. I have much consideration to do!
I think you missed what I said in my last post:
Quote by )(yperX
it sounds exactly the same if not better and a new one costs even less then a used Peavey.

If anything, they'll actually sound better then their counterpart. Don't really worry about them breaking down, the '09 models are vastly improved in terms of build quality.

I owned one for 6 months, I can attest to this. Go ask in the Bugera thread if you want more reassurance.

I'm not trying to sell you a Bugera because I'm some fanboy. I own a 6505+ right now and it's great, but it's not worth the cash difference.