I wanted to know, does my picking sound alright?

This is just a basic one-string chromatic lick, and is titled "PICKING".

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Will+Swanson/

The second one i would like you to check out is "PICKING RUN".

It's an ascending economy-picked run in E Minor.

Please excuse the string noises at the beginning and end.

Any tips to help improve my picking? I already know it's not great, so don't just say I suck.

EDIT: I also need some helping with sweeping. Could you check out the sweeping clips? I'm mainly having trouble with muting.
Last edited by Will Swanson at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by m1tch4444
Link us.

It's up now.

EDIT: Thanks.
Last edited by Will Swanson at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by tenfold
It's ok. It'd be easier to judge if you didn't palm mute all of the picking, and even better if you played it slow then gradually sped it up so we could hear it both ways.

I didn't palm mute all the picking, just on the lower strings. I might do the speeding up thing with the chromatic picking.

Also, I know I need help with the muting on the sweeping. That's why I'm asking for help.
It sounded good, even though the tone could be improved (could you put them up as a crisp clean sound? either a really clean sounding distortion or just a clean channel; no delay/reverb/chorus/etc). The notes when picking are cut short just a tad.

There isn't much to know about muting sweeps. The fretting hand usually does most of the work. For example if you are experiencing string noise sweeping up (in pitch) you probably aren't releasing the notes properly and a lot of really slow perfect practice can fix that.
Quote by tenfold
It sounded good, even though the tone could be improved (could you put them up as a crisp clean sound? either a really clean sounding distortion or just a clean channel; no delay/reverb/chorus/etc). The notes when picking are cut short just a tad.

There isn't much to know about muting sweeps. The fretting hand usually does most of the work. For example if you are experiencing string noise sweeping up (in pitch) you probably aren't releasing the notes properly and a lot of really slow perfect practice can fix that.

I disagree, when doing ascending sweeps I use my right hand to ensure 100% that all notes that I'm no longer playing die at the right time and stay dead. Descending sweeps I use my left hand more.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Well, I usually like to use a high-gain tone, because the harmonics sound better. That's another thing, if I don't mute the sweeps with my right hand, the harmonics will ring out, making it impossible to mute only with the left hand. I just lightly brush the string with the meaty part of my hand, but mostly use my left hand form muting when I descend. I'm using only an RP500 to record this stuff, and I'm still trying to get a good clean tone. I'll try to upload something using a cleaner tone with no effects.
Quote by Aleksi
I disagree, when doing ascending sweeps I use my right hand to ensure 100% that all notes that I'm no longer playing die at the right time and stay dead. Descending sweeps I use my left hand more.

Well I do too but I'm saying if you can't do it relatively clean with just fret-hand muting, you probably aren't releasing the notes correctly.
Quote by Freepower
Sounds really messy to me, and the bend was terribly out of tune on of the picking runs.

Reupload with clean tone plx.

Freepower, you always say my playing is messy, but you never give any tips on what to do to fix it. Should I do the exact same runs with a clean tone?
Well, first you need to listen more - can you hear the open string ringing through last second?

If you can't hear it, you can't fix it. You'll need to practice your muting.

Now, the serious stuff. The most worrying thing is that your hands are totally out of synch. You need to pick and fret the note at the same time. You're off both ways, you're picking before and after you fret notes and that's part of what makes your picking sound weak.

Your timing isn't really consistent although it's not terrible.

Your dynamics are all over the place - the first note is uncomfortably loud and there's lots in the middle that are nearly absent.

Does that help you?
It helps a bit, yes. The ringing you were talking about was when I lifted my right hand off of the strings, when I should have muted then with my left hand. Have you made a video talking about alternate picking? I guess I haven't broken my speed barrier yet, and am getting ahead of myself. How can I improve the sweeping?
Quote by Will Swanson
How can I improve the sweeping?

Simply lots of slow, articulate practice to a metronome. Your goal will be to get every swept note to sound as good as possible, don't speed it up at all until you're quite familiar with the shape you're working on.