I have a really old and crappy RG120 lying around, and have decided that the RG shape makes me want to throw bricks into peoples anus'.

If I wanted to go about making the contour lines softer, and more shaped to a person like an S or something similar, would I just go about sanding it down until achieving proper from, or would there be some other way of doing this?
Last edited by CaptinSpalldin at Dec 13, 2009,
sanding will take a long time.

i'd say files if you dont want to take TOO much off, or a spokeshave (?) for if you needed more off..

if you realy want to go crazy a router might work.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Not necessarily thinner, just much less edge on it, it would end up a bit thinner, but just alot less sharp, if you catch my drift.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense at all, its 1:30 here
Last edited by CaptinSpalldin at Dec 13, 2009,
It'll take a while, but you'll end up with the most natural feel if you sand it.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
If you're just talking about doing a carve, but keeping the RG outline, you could.
But if you're expecting the final product to look like an S, you have a problem.

Overlayed. RG is black. S is white.

RG over an S is the top image.
S over an RG on the bottom,

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
use either files or an angle grinder with sanding attachment.

and SYK is right, you wont get an exact S shape from an RG without adding wood.

but I'm guessing you;re only talking about the profile anyway.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Not trying to turn it into an S, I was just comparing the feel of an S to what I'm thinking of doing.

So would a belt sander be suited for this, or some other sort of method to take all that wood off as smoothly as possible?
If you are talking about a hand-held belt sander, that would probably not be a great idea because it will tend to flatten things too much. (and you want the edges more rounded, right?)
If you happen to have a drum sander, that might work nicely for everything but the inside of the horns. If I were doing this, I'd use a router with a 1/4" roundover bit, then use a palm sander with 60grit paper to even things out.