i tried the 18v mod on my emg 85 and i apperently did something wrong cause it didnt work and now i switched it back to 9v and its quiet and has no distortion

am i fuked?
Diagram of your wiring? EMGs are rated up to like 27V so you shouldn't have done anything harmful to it.
Probably blew something inside....18V going into a 9v circuit doesn't sound at all smart.

Edit: didn't know that EMG could handle the 27 volts
"and its quiet and has no distortion"

Sounds like the battery isn't connected.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Balmazer
"and its quiet and has no distortion"

Sounds like the battery isn't connected.

its connected and i just put in a new battery so its not dead

the sound deosnt change when i connect the battery
is the battery wired in backwards? might be it.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
is the battery wired in backwards? might be it.

it could have been but its not now i switched it back i probly fried sumthin in the pickup with a backwards battery

i might be able to return it to guitar center hopefully i doubt it tho
Corse you can. Its rated up to 27 volts. If it aint that then you didnt get what it was advertised to be.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Getting the polarity wrong wouldn't fry the pickup, I don't think. It sounds like you've got dead batteries, or one of your battery wires has fractured inside the insulation. Honestly, this all screams "NO POWER" to me.

Edit: Have you tried running your pickup directly to the output jack with the battery? Just in case you've got a bad pot.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by -MintSauce-
Getting the polarity wrong wouldn't fry the pickup, I don't think. It sounds like you've got dead batteries, or one of your battery wires has fractured inside the insulation. Honestly, this all screams "NO POWER" to me.

Edit: Have you tried running your pickup directly to the output jack with the battery? Just in case you've got a bad pot.

thats a good idea but i called guitar center and theyr replacing it for free with free shipping so im not complainin
I know this is uber necro-thread revival, but I did the same thing with the same diagram. It ended up not working, so I switched back to 9V and it also doesn't work...

Maybe something the preamp really did fry up inside the pickup... now I'm pissed. I can't get pickup replacements for free like you did because I didnt get it from Guitar Center.

I'm guessing your new pickups are working fine in your guitar right? Just need to make sure its the pickups that are messed up.
Quote by Zynma
I know this is uber necro-thread revival, but I did the same thing with the same diagram. It ended up not working, so I switched back to 9V and it also doesn't work...

Maybe something the preamp really did fry up inside the pickup... now I'm pissed. I can't get pickup replacements for free like you did because I didnt get it from Guitar Center.

I'm guessing your new pickups are working fine in your guitar right? Just need to make sure its the pickups that are messed up.
My guess is that you didn't follow the diagram exactly as shown. If you notice carefully the adapter harness has reds going to blacks in the connection. This is not an error.

EMGs will work just fine up to 27v, but reversing the battery polarity is likely to fry them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
My guess is that you didn't follow the diagram exactly as shown. If you notice carefully the adapter harness has reds going to blacks in the connection. This is not an error.

EMGs will work just fine up to 27v, but reversing the battery polarity is likely to fry them.

no, I really followed the diagram exactly. I'm fully aware of the reds going to the blacks.
Quote by Zynma
no, I really followed the diagram exactly. I'm fully aware of the reds going to the blacks.
Bottom line: 18v doesn't fry EMGs unless you reverse the polarity. You did something else wrong.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
This is a common problem for a lot of people with the 18 Volt Mod.
If you've made the mod and only connect battery the pickups will not work properly. What you've gotta do is put the wiring to the original or do the 18 volt mod properly.
Quote by mitchibanez
This is a common problem for a lot of people with the 18 Volt Mod.
If you've made the mod and only connect battery the pickups will not work properly. What you've gotta do is put the wiring to the original or do the 18 volt mod properly.

I set everything back to 9V, all I had to do is remove the 3 clips that allow to run 2 batteries in series. The single battery is directly in the circuit as it should originally, and it wont work at all. I've checked already, the battery is definitely working, I used an LED indicator connecting the ground and a 9V+ lead to see if it lights up. There's definitely nothing wrong with the wiring, i think it might be the pickups.
Somewhere you have a short. You should really check everything twice Also is there someplace in there where your wire is not insulated? A lot of people don't realize that un-insulated causes a voltage drop. Also if there is open wire a little electrical tape will do the job for you.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
Last edited by SilentFactor at Aug 8, 2010,
Quote by SilentFactor
Somewhere you have a short. You should really check everything twice Also is there someplace in there where your wire is not insulated? A lot of people don't realize that un-insulated causes a voltage drop. Also if there is open wire a little electrical tape will do the job for you.

no that's not the problem. The pickups wont work anymore even with 9V. I didnt do any direct soldering to the guitar, I only soldered the 3 clips together so that one of them connects to the 9V clip of the guitar and the other 2 clips are connected to the 2 batteries.

I just bought a new EMG anyways, I'll be only having a bridge pickup starting in a few days... but that's actually fine with me, because soloing with the bridge still sounds nice and smooth on the bridge with my setup. Later on I'll get a neck pickup, too, once I get the money.

thanks for your input guys, I appreciate them.
Hi guys, I have the same problem, tried the 18v mod and now I have no sound. My pickup is a 707. Went back to 9v, and still very thin sound. My guitar also has a couple passive pickups (had no money to buy the whole EMG setup) and they sound fine, but not the 707. Were you able to resolve? Did I fry my pickup?
Quote by iduno871
Probably blew something inside....18V going into a 9v circuit doesn't sound at all smart.

Edit: didn't know that EMG could handle the 27 volts

27 VOLTS.......Dang! :O
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
This thread is 3 years old.......
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar