I need to replace the speakers on my G-K 2 x 10 and I'm looking for opinions on what brand to get. I also use a 1 x 15 G-K with it.

Also, is it ok to go with higher than the orignal wattage (so I don't blow them again!) ?

Thanks.
Quote by TheRockGJ
I need to replace the speakers on my G-K 2 x 10 and I'm looking for opinions on what brand to get. I also use a 1 x 15 G-K with it.

Also, is it ok to go with higher than the orignal wattage (so I don't blow them again!) ?

Thanks.

I replaced mine, but I can't help you with specifics because I put in speakers that lowered the cab's impedance to 4 ohms. If you're running two cabs, you'll want to keep it at 8. I'll say that you don't really need to worry about a driver that's designed to match it well, just find the ones that fit your needs best. You'll want 16 ohm speaker since the cab is probably wired in parallel (my gk was).

It's perfectly fine to go with higher wattage, I dropped in some carvin speakers and more than doubled the rms wattage. There's no physical way it can hurt anything.
Gotcha! I'm gonna open it up and see exactly what ohm speakers are in and how they're wired, then just pop some pretty high watt speakers in it then crank it to 11 !!!!

Thanks for your reply!
Get some replacements from Gallien-kreuger or thomann, its much easier that way.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Get some replacements from Gallien-kreuger or thomann, its much easier that way.

depends on what the cab is, if it's backline or goldline for example, he sure as heck won't want to get exact replacements as the original drivers were absolute garbage.

What model of cab do you have TS?
Quote by fatgoogle

The reason for Sam's advice is that speakers have to match cabs to sound their best, especially if they are ported cabs. If you are really going to use a different drive unit then it would be best for someone to do the calculations to see if you can get away with it. If it is a ported cab then at the least you will have to remake the ports.

If you are trying to match your 15 then you should aim at having the same overall impedance as the 15 if you are running them off the same amp.

If you have specific speakers in mind and can give more details of the cab I am happy to do some calculations for you.
^^ can you go into more detail? i diddint know cabs and speakers had to match all that much i thought that cabs were supposed to just be good by themselves and make any speaker sound good?

im very fond of emenence speakers for bass. can't really explain why i would look into the neodynium speakers sense it is a 2x10 you can kinda make it your super light mini rig. i would give anything for a 2x10 that can handle 500W right now my 8x10 is killing my back and its too much for just rehersals
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
^^ can you go into more detail? i diddint know cabs and speakers had to match all that much i thought that cabs were supposed to just be good by themselves and make any speaker sound good?

im very fond of emenence speakers for bass. can't really explain why i would look into the neodynium speakers sense it is a 2x10 you can kinda make it your super light mini rig. i would give anything for a 2x10 that can handle 500W right now my 8x10 is killing my back and its too much for just rehersals

It's tuned for efficiency and frequency response of a cab. It's not nearly so big a deal with your 2*10 cabinet as it would be a with a 15, it's not nearly so big a deal with your completely sealed GK cabinet as it would be with a ported one.

I'm not real well versed in speaker design, so maybe Phil will correct me, but I don't think you really need to worry about getting a pair of 10s that match your cabinet as well as you would if you were building a 15" or even a 12" cab. The increased benefits of having properly matched ( to the cab) speakers in the 2*10 probably aren't going to result in a strong audible difference, and no matter what decent speaker you buy, it's going to at least sound better than the stock GK ones in terms of efficiency and fidelity even if everything isn't tunned to maximum efficiency, so you really can't lose as an upgrade (their stock drivers are just terrible).
If you have a sealed cab there is a good chance of matching but if the cab is too small you will get boomy ill defined bass which doesn't go low. too big and the cab will squash the bass..

In a ported cab the port is used to tune the cab to the exact frequency the speaker resonates at so you have to be spot on. even a 10% error will make the cab sound poor.

Luckily eminence provide all the specs for their drivers so calclating the volume is easy. I'll have a look at the neo tens tonight.
Great! lol I was under the impression that the GLX were decent cabs. My problem is I have a 450 watt head going into GLX 1 x 15" (300watts) and a BLX 2 x 10" (200watts) and I'm pretty sure I blew the 2 x 10 out as it's only rated at 200 watts ( I was basically cranking the amp to try to hang with a MArshall JCM900). I'm also assuming that the power from the head is split evenly to the 2 cabs? Maybe not...

So that's why I was hoping to replace the drivers in the 2 x 10 with higher wattage to handle the power.

I may just end up getting a GLX 4 x 10 which will handle more power and be done with it...

I'm ALMOST positive that the 2 x 10 cab is NOT ported...

Thanks.
If the 2x10 is 4 ohms and the 1x15 is 8 ohms then most of the power is going through the 2x10. You will also be running your amp into 2.7 ohms which is low. Can you check the impedance of the cabs. Two of the eminence speakers will work well together in a sealed cab about 40l or 1.4 cu ft. If your cab is around this volume internally then you should be fine. outside this range it will depend upon exactly which speaker you choose.
I know both cabs are rated at 8ohms. The 2 x 10 has 2 16ohm speakers according to the G-K website. I would need to open it to verify this.
That makes sense, if you want to replace the drive units then you will need 16 ohm speakers. these are a lot less common than 8's so your choice will be more limited. You were a bit unlucky to lose your speakers as you were only putting 225 W through them unless you were running into distortion.

Which country do you live in? if it is the UK I could suggest alternative speakers you might consider.
Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to find out about the 8ohm 16ohm thing. I live in the united states.

One other question, on the back of this garbage amp (Ugh...I hate to admit it, but it's a Behringer) there are 3 choices to hook up the cabs, 2 reg 1/4" jacks and one Neutrik (sp?). Would that have anything to do with how much juice is going to which cab? I have the 2 x 10 hooked to a 1/4" and the 15" hooked to the neutrik. Guy I bought it from said the Neutrik would send more power to that speaker. Or should I just use the two 1/4" jacks?

Thanks for all of your help.
i'd have to look up the specs of your amp to see how the outputs work i would reccomend reading your manual or looking at the back to see how much power comes out each output

i dont think neutric outputs send more power i just think the cables themselves are capable of handleing higher wattage better like there are less dips in power due to thicker guage cable and higher quality materials.

please dont be offended when i ask you this but are you sure you were using speaker cables not instrument cables? if you was using instrument cables over a long period of time that would be a likely explination why your speakers broke
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Not offended at all. I guess I honestly don't know for sure as I did not buy them. I got the whole rig from a guy , cables and all. Hmmm, considering he didn't know the difference between standard tuning and 1/2 step down, maybe I should check that out too...
Quote by Emergancy Exit

i dont think neutric outputs send more power i just think the cables themselves are capable of handleing higher wattage better like there are less dips in power due to thicker guage cable and higher quality materials.

This is right.

I've been looking up some stuff your cab is sealed and the internal volume is roughly 80l which is quite large and indicates quite small magnets on your speakers. They have been built to a budget and since the sensitivity is high I suspect short voice coils which means they are loud at low volumes but fail to deliver when driven really hard.

I think you have two choices replace the speakers with GK's and sell the cab using the money to trade up or fit a slightly better budget speaker. The eminence alpha 10A should work well in your cab and give you a slight increase in top end and a bit more bass extension. The eminence neo's need a smaller cab than yours. I'm fairly sure you can get the Alphas in 16 ohm.
dont really think the cab can be too big for a speaker can it? i mean obviously a hallways sized box wouldent do but a few inches off i mean .. come on?

it is after all a 2x10 so any negative effect would be minimal and overall it would still be an improvement over stock.
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Hmmm... Starting to think some sort of 4 x 10 just might be a better way to go. I mean, by the time I replace the speakers in this thing, I'm just about halfway home on the matching G-K GLX410 ($399 new, $355 Blem).

Don't want to spend too much as I want to replace this head before it breaks mid-gig on me...

I really appreciate the input.
The alpha's are £35 ea in the uk I guess they'll be cheaper in the States so for $70 or thereabouts you'll have an upgraded cab which will be worth say $200 if the cab itself is in good condition. If you like it keep it if not sell it and put the money towards the speakers you really want.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
dont really think the cab can be too big for a speaker can it? i mean obviously a hallways sized box wouldent do but a few inches off i mean .. come on?

it is after all a 2x10 so any negative effect would be minimal and overall it would still be an improvement over stock.

sorry to hijack your thread but we are talking about a cab which would be 3x oversized for the basslite. It would start to roll off at least an octave above its resonant frequency and would be 6-12 dB down at bottom E on a four string. this is the equivalent of swapping a 100W amp for a 10Watter. Whilst this isn't as bad as the description sounds because most of what we hear from a bass is harmonics it would sound dreadfully thin. Its a bit like swapping the engine in a truck for a racing engine, they both produce 500 horses but one will couple well and the other won't.
Got a response from Eminence, they said I need to get two 4 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel to get an 8ohm cabinet?

The other problem I have with all of this is I need to pull it off by Saturday for a gig!

A somewhat local dude has the 4 x 10 GLX and the matching G-K head (gold looking?) for $500. I may just do that and kill two birds with one stone...

Again, thanks. I'll let you know which direction I go. Thanks for the help.

EDIT*** I take that back, this was his response.
Our best 10" bass speaker is the Legend BP102. You will need the 4 ohm version, wired in series, to have an 8 ohm cabinet. The 4 ohm version is available and it is simply called the Legend BP102-4.

If you use two 150 watt speakers, the thermal rating would be 300 watts, but that does not mean you have a 300 watt cabinet. Mechanical aspects can lower the power handling capability of the speakers. That has to do with the cabinet size, tuning frequency (if ported), and how the speaker performs in that application.

Regards,

Anthony Lucas
Technical Support
Eminence Speaker LLC
Last edited by TheRockGJ at Dec 15, 2009,
If both those speakers are 150 watts wired in series will give you 150 watts, two little if you ask me. I would get some 16ohm speakers difficult to find but no unheard of.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Just a clarification. two speakers in series will be nominally 300W. The thermal limt of speakers is usually quoted in free air and Eminence make this clear in their specs. In a poorly designed reflex speaker there may be problems with excessive excursion and in a small sealed cab heat can build up more quickly which is why Eminence are being cautious, after all if you follow their instructions then they have a responsibility to you.

Eminence in their spec sheets
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/LEGEND-BP102-4.pdf
say that the sensitivity is only 90.5 dB/W though the response curve shows that 93 dB would be better if it were not for the suck out at 500Hz. The speaker doesn't give much response above 2000Hz, which is only upper mid for a bass speaker so this is a strange speaker I suspect they will sound more like 15's than 10's. On the plus side it has a great Xmax of over 6mm which means the cone will travel over 1/2 an inch before starting to limit so it will maintain this efficiency at quite high levels.
I have to say that they will work well with your cabinet.

This doesn't help you much. I would price up the 102's the alphas and the GK's before I made a final decision. I still prefer the alpha's as they give you a whole extra octave at the top and they are going to be louder as well as cheaper and you already have the 15 for grunt. Using the GK's mean you will be selling a cab as original though.

Just a final thought did you use a lot of bass EQ when the speakers blew as that could have been the cause. Always cut bass and boost mids to cut through a mix.

Have a read of this
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html

cheers
Well, after all of your troubles and advice, (you're gonna love this) I'm not so sure I blew the speakers. I played a bit today, seemed ok at lower levels, then cranked it up pretty good. It didn't seem as loud and "thunderous" as when I first got it, but sounded nice and clean.

Went to Guitar Center tonight, the guy there, a very acomplished bass player said that my head is garbage ( I knew this) and was most likely the problem. He basically said a better head would/could make all of the difference in the world.

They have a Markbass SD800 on clearance, one left for $549! Seemed like a steal. I played through a Markbass III through the MB 4 x10 and 1 x 15. Thing was on 3 and wa shaking my insides loose! The thing is the size of a Dictionary!!!! Of course when I tried to play through the SD800 it wouldn't power up for some reason..maybe that's why it was so cheap?
if it has any problems at the store then it will only be worse when you take it home trust me. but if it does break i think GC has to give you a replacement that happened to my power amp it broke when i got it home after i left the store with it so they shipped me a different used amp that was actually better then the one i bought. it was a huge hassel and def was not worth it i should have got the other one in the first place but it as very nice of GC to make things right.

check out ebay and used.guitarcenter.com GC usually ships free store to store so if you see an amp you have played on before and liked for sale in another store used then i would just get a used one they have almost evrything and really cheap prices. ive even seen a ampeg SVT3 pro for only $500
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I'm really pleased your speakers are OK, they really shouldn't blow with that level of power unless you really mistreat them or have a dud set.

Have fun with your new amp
Thanks! Just checkec that website out, tons of xtuffm there were a few MB SD800's on their, the cheapest was $700, Something seems fishy, how could a "new" one be $549? Problem child perhaps?

Thanks again guys...