Poll: Competition
Poll Options
View poll results: Competition
Motivational
18 58%
Demotivational
13 42%
Voters: 31.
Do you find competition motivational, or demotivational?

Inspired after reading this article: http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2007/07/03/do-you-need-to-be-a-competitive-jerk-to-succeed/

The whole article is great (as are the others on the site), and rather relevant to the majority of the pit's population.

Personally, I find competition almost always demotivating. What about you?
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Depends on the activity.If it's something I enjoy then it motivates me to do better,but if I hate the activity to begin with then competition just makes it that much worse.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

If it's something I don't like and am forced to do, then I couldn't care less about the competition. I don't want to be there in the first place.

If it's something I really like and I'm against someone better than me, I'm definitely motivated to try my hardest.
Demotivational. A small, "healthy" dose of competition enhances performance, but it's just not in the nature of man to be competitive in small doses. I study medicine, and the amount of competition among students almost put me off of the course. I learned to deal with it by not participating in it, and going about the course my own way, though.
Derp. Yeah I guess it does depend a lot on the situation. Personally though its more of an overall thing: I love playing guitar, but I find no joy in challenging another guitarist to anything, or being challenged. Unless its something I *know* I'm going to win >.>

I am always competitive, it's the way I roll bitch.
My dick is 25 centimeters

edit: that article sucks, being competitive isn't bad. If you want to be the best of the class for example. I am not competitive in stupid things.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Dec 13, 2009,
It is possible to be competetive without being a jerk, i have known people who are the worst people to play any game with, take football for example (English footy), i am awful at it, can't play to save my life, when i used to play it with my mates over at the park, they went completely insane when i, or anyone else messed up, and it put me right off of it.

But i think if you compete to win and not make other people look like crap, then thats the way to be more humble about things.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Depends on the activity.If it's something I enjoy then it motivates me to do better,but if I hate the activity to begin with then competition just makes it that much worse.

Mr This

If it's something I'm inspired to do, competition inspires me further. If it's something I'm forced to do, it discourages me.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I am a really competitive person, it has positives and negatives, but over all I think its a good thing. It makes me want to do better than the guy next to me.
Quote by Neo Evil11
I am always competitive, it's the way I role bitch.

i'm sorry to inform you that you lost the wordplay competition and consequently the spelling bee as well, in one go
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by geetar_man0
I am a really competitive person, it has positives and negatives, but over all I think its a good thing. It makes me want to do better than the guy next to me.

What if it's a contest to see how many meth addicts can rape you before you pass out from the pain/blood loss?

What I'm saying is the context of the situation and what activity it is really decide whether or not it's inherently good or bad.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i'm sorry to inform you that you lost the wordplay competition and consequently the spelling bee as well, in one go

I am not THAT competitive. Playing a spelling bee against people who speak English would be pretty stupid.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Thanks for the responses folks.

And I'm noticing some irony in the poll.

Motivational. I'm competitive, but I'm mature enough to take losing on the chin and get on with it. Competition is one thing that helps up my game, especially with music. Although I'm going to contradict myself straight away here and say music isn't a competition, I've had times where a band we're playing with has made it known that they're going to put a conscious effort to try and upshow us because we're signed. So in response, we try and up our game even more- not to directly compete, but to give the audience the best show possible.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Motivational. I'm competitive, but I'm mature enough to take losing on the chin and get on with it. Competition is one thing that helps up my game, especially with music. Although I'm going to contradict myself straight away here and say music isn't a competition, I've had times where a band we're playing with has made it known that they're going to put a conscious effort to try and upshow us because we're signed. So in response, we try and up our game even more- not to directly compete, but to give the audience the best show possible.

This is how is should be meethinks. Compete, but in a sense where you're doing it to win, and not just to beat others. If that makes sense. Its basically what the article was on about.

i think its motivational. for example if one of my friends is better at guitar than me, i am motivated to become better than them.

EDIT: i also take insults and people telling me i suck as motivation to prove them wrong. i find its best to find motivation in as much as possible
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!