K, so, I was under the impression, that El34s/El84s could not be replaced with 6l6's, but I was just informed, that if the transformers and screen grid resistors could handle the swap, then they could be switched.

So, right now I am very confused, so any clarification from someone with experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
K, so, I was under the impression, that El34s/El84s could not be replaced with 6l6's, but I was just informed, that if the transformers and screen grid resistors could handle the swap, then they could be switched.

So, right now I am very confused, so any clarification from someone with experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

More to it than that. Some of the later versions of the EL34 like the WXT can handle 700v on the plate. Use a 6L6GC in an amp running that kind of voltage and you have a big problem.

Primary impedance of the output transformer is likely to not be a great match if it was intended for one species of tube and you change to another. Prolly won't kill anything, but you're not gonna extract quite as much power.

EL34s need a slightly higher (negative) voltage on the control grid than a 6L6 running at the same plate voltage. So if you switch to a 6L6 without rebiasing, it's gonna be running a little cold.

The opposite is true for an EL84. Put a 6L6 in without rebiasing and it's gonna run hot. WAY hot. Of course you can't just put a 6L6 in a circuit designed around an EL84 without some major surgery. 6L6 is an octal base tube. EL84 is 9pin noval.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.