Before I begin, I'll state that I HAVE searched around, but I couldn't find what I was really looking for, so no 'searchbar + searchbar would be a great tone' etc.

First off, I'm probably getting a Peavey Valve King (112 or 212 combo not sure yet) for band practices. (We play thrash(metallica / trivium) and a bit of progressive metal[similar to Dream Theater])

I'm also getting new pickups for christmas. I'm thinking the Air Norton neck and Breed Bridge.

On reading the 'Ibanez 20ths pickup thread' I find that the breed bridge dimarzio pickup isn't that great in mahagony or dark-sounding amps.

So, I want to know, is the Valve King classed as a dark amp?
And what dimarzios would go well with it in the bridge? Breed? Super Distortion? D-Activator? (Also would these pickups go with the Air Norton?)

I hope you managed to smash through the wall of text...
Quote by eazy-c

I don't think I've ever laughed so much in the Pit.
Have a look at the Peavey 6505 Combo, Also maybe have a look at the RockMonkey Hot Neobucker - http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/hot_neobucker.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
well the VK isn't necessarily a dark amp but to get the sounds your after it probably would be
look at the 6505 1x12 combo as Jak Archer said and as far as i know those pickups will be fine
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Also, could you bear in mind my budget.

Amp- £300-£400-ish. I thought the Valve King would be perfect, but maybe not.

Pickups- £70 each. That's why I'm not getting crunch lab + liquifire. Expensive.
Quote by eazy-c

i dont think the breed will a good pup for u. it's a warm sounding pup.

the super distortion or the d-sonic would be good for u. d-activator is also good for if u want a active pickup sound.

if u get the valveking, u should mod it, like change the speakers, tubes to make it sound at it's best. U might also need an OD pedal.

are u from the UK? if u are check out Irongear pickups. they're only 25 pounds per pickup but they sound amazing. U r only paying for tone and not the brand name.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/
Last edited by holycow at Dec 13, 2009,
Of DiMarzios I would think the D-Activator would be a better pup for the bridge in your styles. Is there any reason you are only looking at DiMarzio?
Amp-wise, you should really try one with your guitar as it is now to get a good comparison with what you expect from it. We seldom see Peavey here and I have not tried a Valve King but on pedigree it should be darker than an equivalent Fender but not as dark as a Vox.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I was mainly looking at dimarzio because I'm a big fan of Petrucci, and I thought his tone would be easier to come close to with dimarzios. But y'know, maybe something else. Not emg's though. Just no. I need cleans as well.

EDIT: I looked at irongear. Unbelievably cheap. They sound decent too. Surely there's a catch?
Quote by eazy-c

Last edited by ThrashIsWin at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by ThrashIsWin
I was mainly looking at dimarzio because I'm a big fan of Petrucci, and I thought his tone would be easier to come close to with dimarzios. But y'know, maybe something else. Not emg's though. Just no. I need cleans as well.

EDIT: I looked at irongear. Unbelievably cheap. They sound decent too. Surely there's a catch?

they're cheap cuz ur paying for the tone and not the brand name. and also i think they're made in china. but dont let that fool u. I have the irongear rolling mills and they sound really good.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Is there any problems as far as delivery etc. is concerned?
I don't want to pay half the price and for it to take 3 times as long to get here.

Also, do you know if they would they work well with the valve king?
Quote by eazy-c

Quote by ThrashIsWin
Is there any problems as far as delivery etc. is concerned?
I don't want to pay half the price and for it to take 3 times as long to get here.

Also, do you know if they would they work well with the valve king?

Well it took 1 week for it to arrive, but i dont live in the UK so that's to be expected.
If u live in the UK it should take about 1-2 days i think. If u go to the user feedbacks in the Irongear website, u can see some people said that it arrived within 24 hours.

I havent tried them in a valveking but i dont see why they wont work well with the valveking.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
what's better about the bugera compared to the valve king?

the reviews here on UG seem to say that the bugera is really unreliable, but the valve king is more reliable.

EDIT: about the irongear pickups, what if I was to buy an Air Norton, but put a irongear of some description in the bridge?
I mean, I will only ever use one of them at a time anyway.
Quote by eazy-c