Hi. im currently using a Marshall MG15 and i want a bigger more powerful amp so i was thinking a stack?
i have around £200 to spend and i have this in mind:
Fender Fm100 Head
im planning on buying the head first then the cab later.
Will the head alone still be loud enough until i get a cab (only for practise)
i play blues, rock (foo fighters etc.) (i also love john mayers tone) and a bit of metal
can you guys recommend a good head/amp?
thanks
You can't run a head without a cab, if you do, you'll fry the head...
And, don't buy a FM, and you don't need a stack.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Erm, for £200, you don't have many options IMO, is there anyway you could save up a bit more?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Bugera combo would be your best bet I think, probably the 333 or the 333XL. Great clean channel, and the distortion is good too. If you get a later model one (which are supposedly more reliable) then you should be set. You'd have to save up a little more though.
Last edited by slickerthnsleek at Dec 13, 2009,
for 150$ you can get the bugera v5 then get a bad monkey to overdrive.
buy a marshall mg100fx. Marshall is the best. İts 100watts so i think it will be enough. ALso coming with 2 channel footswitch.

İf you buy this amp you may not need a head for a while.. İts good. Than you can buy a good head on it..
Okay, that opens it out a lot.
Now, I may be a bit biased, but you could get the Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo, which really is a fantastic amp, but, if you want to play metal, you're going to have to get a pedal.

Maybe a Peavey Windsor if you're not bothered about cleans? But I guess you are.
You could also try and look for a used Peavey Classic 30.
I'm not sure about how much Vypyr Tubes are, but they are pretty good for versatility. TS, If I was you, I'd go to your nearest shop, and try out a bunch of amps, and buy the one you like best.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
For your money don't get a stack.

Also the Frontman won't sound any better than your MG.

Save up more money.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Thing is for the money your looking to spend you really need to reconsider buying a stack amp. As your wanting more power any stack amp you buy in that price range is not really going to be an upgrade. Less amp or more money.
Quote by vaca11
buy a marshall mg100fx. Marshall is the best. İts 100watts so i think it will be enough. ALso coming with 2 channel footswitch.

İf you buy this amp you may not need a head for a while.. İts good. Than you can buy a good head on it..

Get the hell out of here, NOW!
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
interesting guys what would you say to a vox for around £200 are they good or do you have to spend big buck to get a good one.
ive seen a marshall 100hd head for £130 but the idea of a stack isnt sounding too good now.
i like peavey but they just seem cheap i dunno why and ive seen some good value in them.
Quote by Haz4510
interesting guys what would you say to a vox for around £200 are they good or do you have to spend big buck to get a good one.
ive seen a marshall 100hd head for £130 but the idea of a stack isnt sounding too good now.
i like peavey but they just seem cheap i dunno why and ive seen some good value in them.

Don't get those crappy Marshall MGs.

The used Peavey Classic option is probably the best you can get for your money, I don't know why they just seem cheap to you, but they are pretty great amps.

EDIT: Which Vox did you see for £200? If it's a VT (Valvetronix) it's not worth the money.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Dec 13, 2009,
Im liking the look of the bugera's has the same classic look as the two rock amps (my dream amp)
im gonna have a good look into peaveys
For the money you have now, a Fender Vibro-Champ XD sounds good. If you get that extra 100 bucks by Christmas, you can get a Fender Super-Champ XD, a Bugera V5 with a decent distortion (I suggest an MXR or Electro-Harmonics pedal), and possibly a used Peavey Classic 30 if you can find one cheap enough.
dont buy that FM, my friend has one... and it sucks to much
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
It's been said but you can't use a head on it's own. And don't get a Fender FM, I have one a well...just don't.

For £200, go for the Vox AC4.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Laney VC15.

Does everything but metal [unless you have a pedal for that].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Your not going to fry a FM100 without a cab. It's a solid state amp.

That bieng said, you're not going to make any sound without a cab either.

And you're not going to make any good sound with or without a cab so I'd pass on that amp.
^For some reason I really enjoyed that post

Quote by Simsimius
Laney VC15.

Does everything but metal [unless you have a pedal for that].

+1

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Quote by al112987
Your not going to fry a FM100 without a cab. It's a solid state amp.

That bieng said, you're not going to make any sound without a cab either.

And you're not going to make any good sound with or without a cab so I'd pass on that amp.
It would still fry his output transformer. He just doesn't have any tubes to fry, but if it was a tube amp, those would get fried too.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
It would still fry his output transformer. He just doesn't have any tubes to fry, but if it was a tube amp, those would get fried too.
except that solid state amps do not have output transformers, so...
Quote by Stuarttt-1
It's been said but you can't use a head on it's own. And don't get a Fender FM, I have one a well...just don't.

For £200, go for the Vox AC4.

Thanks for help but that vox is too small.

Im gonna try some pawn shops and see if i can get a used peavey they usually have loads.
any other suggestions. or anyone know where i can get a reasonable vox?
Quote by Haz4510
Thanks for help but that vox is too small.

Im gonna try some pawn shops and see if i can get a used peavey they usually have loads.
any other suggestions. or anyone know where i can get a reasonable vox?

That VOX is nowhere too small if you play at home.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz

*leaves thread*
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
how much blues, rock and metal do you play (percentage-wise, i mean). What exactly do you mean by blues, rock and metal? is it only for home practice? do you want valves?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaca11

Quote by JesusCrisp
Get the hell out of here, NOW!

+10000000000
That's a horrible suggestion. I made that mistake.

*Sorry, forgot to suggest something
Get one of the old peavey classics (The one with the on/off/on switch in the back) and put an OD pedal in front of it.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Last edited by JHC_DOH at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Sorry, I meant power transformers, not output transformers, though there actually are a few solid state amplifiers that have output transformers.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Last edited by Ferrets! at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by al112987

Im pretty sure my amps have transformers. Isn't that the part that amplifies the signal?
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
nah, they, er, transform the impedance, or the voltage, etc. etc. as far as i'm aware. transistors, op-amps, or valves are most likely doing the amplification in most guitar amps, i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!