So with my new band we have set drop A for the tuning.

and i have looked around at some tabs by bands like suicide silence. and at one tab, the guy who wrote it said that you should tune: on a 7 srting its A e a d g b e and on a 6 string to : A e a d f# b

and i play drop A on a 6 string but i only tune A e a d g b

so why use f# for a 6 sting?
because most guitars always have the 5 steps between each string except the G and b (talking standard), so when u tune and lose that e string, they still want you to make the change of tuning easier for u to play, fo they make the 4th step the d and the f# as if it were the G and the b.

EDIT: the way you play it isnt like a regular guitar. guitars have that 4th step on the b string (talking standard), your playing all 5ths, which is more of what a bass tunes to.

They make that an f# (for the A tuning) because you can play all the scales lik you would normally without having to fix them with the tuning u use.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Last edited by COBHC_Erick429 at Dec 13, 2009,
A e a d f# b is the correct way to set drop a tuning for a 6 string, as they're tuned in perfect fourths, apart from the 4th and 5th strings which are a major third apart - relating to standard tuning.
Quote by COBHC_Erick429
because most guitars always have the 5 steps between each string except the G and b (talking standard), so when u tune and lose that e string, they still want you to make the change of tuning easier for u to play, fo they make the 4th step the d and the f# as if it were the G and the b.

EDIT: the way you play it isnt like a regular guitar. guitars have that 4th step on the b string (talking standard), your playing all 5ths, which is more of what a bass tunes to.

They make that an f# (for the A tuning) because you can play all the scales lik you would normally without having to fix them with the tuning u use.

thanks that explaind alot. But i'll have my guitar tuned to A e a d g b until i can buy a 7 sting. but thanks