Im just wondering
since i play alot (about 3 hours a day) then i think its essential for me to know

So what should i do to prevent injury?
I allready do bends and alot of warmup...
but some excercises? should i train my forearm muscles or something?

I recently had this very bad tension in my right arm...i rested from guitar for 2 weeks, and now i've noticed that my right hand forearm tensions up quicker than it used to...
Is there something i can do to get rid of it?
Also my wrists crack alot...its weird
As for my left hand...
I'd just want to know the correct position of the hand
I know its correct when thumb is not very high on the neck, but when i sit and practice, and my thumb is say in the middle of neck, then if i want to reach lower strings, its kinda uncomfortable for my wrist...how should i hold my guitar?

Thanks a bunch guys
i think there's this thing called stretching that relieves tension in ur muscles i think ppl like athletes use them to make it so they don't pull muscles so i think they might help u should try them
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
The two weeks of rest is probably what is causing the tension, not the three hours of playing. That's not all that much practice time... I know people who religiously practice five hours daily.

With guitar, if you don't use it, you lose it, to a degree. So your taking a break from guitar is like an athlete taking a break from all forms of exercise. When you get that kind of tension in your arm, you should stop playing, but not for two weeks.

As for the thumb question, mine moves around depending on the position on the neck. As I go higher, it migrates more and more from the top side of the guitar to the bottom of the neck.
Quote by eds1275
The two weeks of rest is probably what is causing the tension, not the three hours of playing. That's not all that much practice time... I know people who religiously practice five hours daily.

With guitar, if you don't use it, you lose it, to a degree. So your taking a break from guitar is like an athlete taking a break from all forms of exercise. When you get that kind of tension in your arm, you should stop playing, but not for two weeks.

As for the thumb question, mine moves around depending on the position on the neck. As I go higher, it migrates more and more from the top side of the guitar to the bottom of the neck.

so it takes time for me to get rid of the tension?

ye my thumb also migrates
but sometimes it is uncomfortable

i do stretches, alot of warmup!
should i train my forearm muscles? pushups n stuff
Quote by Ibarshall_X
so it takes time for me to get rid of the tension?

ye my thumb also migrates
but sometimes it is uncomfortable

i do stretches, alot of warmup!
should i train my forearm muscles? pushups n stuff

Yes, but not two weeks

Well, I mean, that's very vague so I don't know how to help you with that. Where does it hurt? (on your hand AND on the neck)

haha I don't think pushups are necessary for playing guitar... lol if they were there'd be a lot less tubby guitar players.
I mean, I warm up for a good hour sometimes, and sometimes it only takes fifteen minutes. Just be sure that you do warmup exercises until your hand feels loosened out.
Quote by eds1275
Yes, but not two weeks

Well, I mean, that's very vague so I don't know how to help you with that. Where does it hurt? (on your hand AND on the neck)

haha I don't think pushups are necessary for playing guitar... lol if they were there'd be a lot less tubby guitar players.
I mean, I warm up for a good hour sometimes, and sometimes it only takes fifteen minutes. Just be sure that you do warmup exercises until your hand feels loosened out.

it hurts in my wrist...
i have this major crack in both my wrists...very loud crack, and it is very uncomfortable
whenever i warm up my wrists, do circles, then it cracks
ill look at a video on youtube about correct posture...i think it might be the key :>
To prevent injury just warm up correctly even BEFORE you touch your guitar. Just your arms, back, shoulders and neck (check out Rock Discipline - Petrucci for ideas). There's a lot of stretches and all that you can do. The next thing you need to do is practice CORRECTLY. If your technique is wrong or putting strain on any part of your hands/arms, youre definately going to injure yourself. So pay attention to HOW you are practicing as much as WHAT you're practicing.
Good luck.
Quote by wise1man
To prevent injury just warm up correctly even BEFORE you touch your guitar. Just your arms, back, shoulders and neck (check out Rock Discipline - Petrucci for ideas). There's a lot of stretches and all that you can do. The next thing you need to do is practice CORRECTLY. If your technique is wrong or putting strain on any part of your hands/arms, youre definately going to injure yourself. So pay attention to HOW you are practicing as much as WHAT you're practicing.
Good luck.

what exactly do you mean by outting strain? i dont rly know wht that feels like...or maybe i do
Yesterday when i was doing my picking, my forearm got really tensed up...it didnt cramp up but i felt alot of tension there

also i dont understand this pivoting thing....
i seem to have my whole arm on my guitar, anchoring with my 3rd finger, and my palm on the tremolo (muting so it wouldnt sound messy)
are they all pivoting points or what?
Tension = Strain.
Any time you feel tension, you need to assess your playing and see what is creating the tension. Find the source and try and eliminate it. Because playing in a state of tension strains the muscles in your hand/ arm and that is what leads to injury. A lot of this comes from trying to play too fast too soon. Also, having too tight a grip or pressing down on the fret board too hard are causes of strain that many players fail to eliminate early. Hope this answers your question. Just ensure that you are as comfortable as possible at all times when playing.

Regarding pivoting/anchoring, there's a whole bunch of threads about anchoring as well as an endless debate. Search for those.
Quote by wise1man
Tension = Strain.
Any time you feel tension, you need to assess your playing and see what is creating the tension. Find the source and try and eliminate it. Because playing in a state of tension strains the muscles in your hand/ arm and that is what leads to injury. A lot of this comes from trying to play too fast too soon. Also, having too tight a grip or pressing down on the fret board too hard are causes of strain that many players fail to eliminate early. Hope this answers your question. Just ensure that you are as comfortable as possible at all times when playing.

Regarding pivoting/anchoring, there's a whole bunch of threads about anchoring as well as an endless debate. Search for those.

could the source of the tension be wrong posture?
or too much anchoring?
i anhchor my third finger i know that...
and my forearm is against my guitar. is that wrong?
should i somehow pull my arm away from the guitar?
im so confused
Quote by Ibarshall_X

could the source of the tension be wrong posture?
or too much anchoring?
i anhchor my third finger i know that...
and my forearm is against my guitar. is that wrong?
should i somehow pull my arm away from the guitar?
im so confused

Which hand do you have more discomfort in? Right (picking) hand, or left (fretting) hand?
If it's your picking hand then yeah, a lot has to do with the fixing your third finger on the guitar while playing. Try and avoid that. It will limit your playing ability as you go along. You should not use your finger like a crutch without which you are unable to play. Try and learn to play without fixing it in that position. Maybe curl up your fingers into your hand or find some other way of playing such that it doesn't have to stay in that position only.
As for resting your forearm, thats up to debate. I'm sure you will get numerous varying views on that.

Also check out Freepower's video on posture.
Quote by wise1man
Which hand do you have more discomfort in? Right (picking) hand, or left (fretting) hand?
If it's your picking hand then yeah, a lot has to do with the fixing your third finger on the guitar while playing. Try and avoid that. It will limit your playing ability as you go along. You should not use your finger like a crutch without which you are unable to play. Try and learn to play without fixing it in that position. Maybe curl up your fingers into your hand or find some other way of playing such that it doesn't have to stay in that position only.
As for resting your forearm, thats up to debate. I'm sure you will get numerous varying views on that.

Also check out Freepower's video on posture.

i looked at the posture video
I have more tension in my picking hand
So i should give up pivoting my finger?
about the forearm....what does "thats up to debate" mean? sorry xD
is it ok if i rest it there
or should i move my elbow a bit forward?
then my palm comes the pivoting point lol
when my hand is absolutely afloat, then its impossible for me to play
i always keep my palm on the tremolo, or one the string for the mutes :P

overall...what ur saying is that i should get rid of the pivoting habit?
how long could that take?
can i pivot while not shredding tho? its comfortable xD
Quote by Ibarshall_X
i looked at the posture video
I have more tension in my picking hand
So i should give up pivoting my finger?
about the forearm....what does "thats up to debate" mean? sorry xD
is it ok if i rest it there
or should i move my elbow a bit forward?
then my palm comes the pivoting point lol
when my hand is absolutely afloat, then its impossible for me to play
i always keep my palm on the tremolo, or one the string for the mutes :P

overall...what ur saying is that i should get rid of the pivoting habit?
how long could that take?
can i pivot while not shredding tho? its comfortable xD

plzz anyone?
Quote by Freepower
Just before I answer those questions - have you read the stickies?

Yes...but only the stickies which i found i must read....Mostly the ones about correct practice and injuries
to all those saying that you shouldnt rest for two weeks - bullshit.

i had the same problem myself when i played like 5 hours a day.

you can develop tendonitis from doing repeated motions a lot of times many times a day. it varies from person to person, but if you start feeling that it hurts you should put it(the guitar) away until the tension is gone. also you should practice on applying as little force as possible to your playing in both of your arms. also you should work out your arms with pushups and also maybe manuals, that helps a lot too, at least for me.
Quote by Freepower
All you need to do is lift your hand a millimeter or two, gently curl your fingers in, and you shold have left all contact with the guitar

i read this at the anchoring department...i have one question.
by "lifting your hand" , do you mean upwards, or away from the guitar?

I've decided to get rid of the anchoring habit...
but still my left hand sometimes feels kinda akward.
I used to play with my guitar on my right leg
now i play it on the left leg, and its more strain for my left hand. i guess it is because i have to hold my arm up all the time and it's tireing. But the picking hand seems better yes
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Dec 15, 2009,
i read this at the anchoring department...i have one question.
by "lifting your hand" , do you mean upwards, or away from the guitar?

Away from the guitar.

now i play it on the left leg, and its more strain for my left hand. i guess it is because i have to hold my arm up all the time and it's tireing. But the picking hand seems better yes

It should be less strain unless you're playing stuff like powerchords on the lowest frets on the low E all the time.

Have you considered getting a teacher?
Quote by Freepower
Away from the guitar.

It should be less strain unless you're playing stuff like powerchords on the lowest frets on the low E all the time.

Have you considered getting a teacher?

its when i legato and reach very widely

and i have a teacher
If we're talking stretch legato, that's one of the things classical posture is best at - and if you're having difficulty with these problems, you need to talk to your teacher, not UG. And if he can't help, then get a new teacher.
Quote by Freepower
Away from the guitar.

should all my hand be afloat from the guitar?
no contact at all???? cuz that is wht i read
no arm, no palm?
Quote by Ibarshall_X
should all my hand be afloat from the guitar?
no contact at all???? cuz that is wht i read
no arm, no palm?

Well your palm can mute the lower strings if it needs to, but it shouldn't be "attached" to the bridge. Don't press in and/or rest on the bridge & strings.
Quote by tenfold
Well your palm can mute the lower strings if it needs to, but it shouldn't be "attached" to the bridge. Don't press in and/or rest on the bridge & strings.

ok
could the tensions be because of somekind of transitional period?
im 16 years old, and everybody (including doctors) says that at this age my body can experience difficulties.
I've recently had a lot of difficulties, like my throat swelling up, and breathing problems... could the tensions also be another symptom?
Quote by tenfold
I guess it's possible but I'm doubting it. Can you post a video of you playing something so we can see your technique?

i dont have any videos
Quote by Ibarshall_X
could the tensions be because of somekind of transitional period?
im 16 years old, and everybody (including doctors) says that at this age my body can experience difficulties.
I've recently had a lot of difficulties, like my throat swelling up, and breathing problems... could the tensions also be another symptom?

anyone?
Quote by tenfold
How could we know? Try asking your doctor. Like I said though, I'm doubting it. See if you know someone who will let you borrow a video camera.

ok i'll do that...
but i will rest my hands as they are still having tension problems...
just a week or two

hmm...makes me think
does needle therapy help with tensions?