this is my amp
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-LS-100-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head-104323696-i1322635.gc
it says on that page that there is an output for direct recording. i have a lightsnake usb recording wire thing and i wanna ask if i can plug that into the output of the amp and then into the computer. please tell me if this will cause anything to go wrong or if it is ok to do this.
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
You'd need an interface. Then run a cable from your amp to the interface and the interface in you computer (via USB or Firwire is most common).

You could also run a wire from the Direct Out to the mic input in your computer, but it would sound like a dying seagull. And those don't sound nice.
Quote by WtrPlyr
You could also run a wire from the Direct Out to the mic input in your computer, but it would sound like a dying seagull. And those don't sound nice.

Not necessarily, I've run my amps headphone/speaker emulated output to the mic port on my laptop and it doesn't sound half bad, so long as you spend a little time balancing the levels and what not.

But yeah if its just a line level headphone out (not speaker emulated) then it will sound like catwank.

+1 for proper interface
Quote by WtrPlyr

On the other hand, I run from my amp to line in and it sounds great. It all depends on the sound card and the settings, really.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
OI, Catharsis, you're right about the impulses but it doesn't mean you need a be a miserable sod about it!
How about explaining why your advice is a good idea instead of just playing the 'I know best, bow down before my might' routine?

Basically, to make the amp's line out sound decent, you'll need to make it sound like it's coming through a real speaker cabinet. The rudimentary 'speaker emulation' in most amps makes the direct tone sound like kentucky-fried arse, so it's worth using software cab emulation to improve the tone.

Google 'guitar cab impulse responses' or something along those lines for a lot more info. Poulin's LeCab is a great bit of software to use your cab IRs in.
This may not be the answer your looking for, but it really is worth it to pony up for a 100 dollar interface and an 80 dollar shure sm57 instrument mic. You dont need to worry about cab immulation and it will just sound worlds better.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

hahah kyle yeah sorry buddy lol this site depresses me :| i 100% agree with your post

Quote by schtick_bomb
This may not be the answer your looking for, but it really is worth it to pony up for a 100 dollar interface and an 80 dollar shure sm57 instrument mic. You dont need to worry about cab immulation and it will just sound worlds better.

only if the gear he is using is quite legit will that work only a few cabs with translate well with a 57
There are a lot of things to consider when using an interface and miccing a cab that take a lot more time. If he was going to get an interface; I would just suggest re-amping his guitar tracks anyway so he can adjust tone later on.

I personally don't even use an interface and I've still gotten okay tone using various VST plugins.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Catharis you come off as a real prick. Hope you aren't like that in real life because someone is going to knock you on your ass.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd