I've run into a bit of a jam.

For Christmas, I was supposed to get a Schecter Damien-7 electric and a Roland Cube 30x.

The guitar is around $450 US, and the amp is around $250 US.

As it turns out, the person who was purchasing these for me can no longer afford both.

So I have to make a decision between the two.

I know nearly everyone is going to say right off the bat "Get the amp!"

But here's the thing to keep in mind: My main guitar is an Epiphone SG Special..

So there isn't exactly a quality guitar running into the amp.

Should I just stick with the amp and try to live with the SG?

Or stick with my Ibanez GTP10 SS amp and get the better guitar..

Really need help on this one O.O

EDIT: Before you bash me for being "Ungrateful", my grandmother offered to buy this, I didn't ask for it. So if you're going to jump to conclusions and say how I'm just a selfish kid looking for gifts on Christmas, don't even bother replying. It's pointless.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Dec 13, 2009,
hmmmm I'd say go for the amp
GEAR

1976 Gibson SG
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Takamine GS330S Acoustic
Crate 65 watt
Crybaby classic wah
Quote by ofXoneblood
could you be any less grateful?

It's wrong to receive gifts for Christmas? :S

And ts which would you rather upgrade your sound or you playability. If the Special literally makes it impossible to play then upgrade it but don't forget that given a good set up you could probably get it to play quite nicely.
Quote by ofXoneblood

And just how am I being ungrateful?

I never mentioned anything about this being a problem.

I just wanted some help in choosing.

If you don't want to give me advice, why reply?

My family isn't exactly economically well-off and I know that.

So thanks.
Quote by ofXoneblood

This. If whoever is buying you these is having money problems, my very first response would be "dont buy me anything, you need the cash."

Some kids and christmas, Jesus.

EDIT:
Its really annoying

When you skip a line

Every thought

It makes you seem like a 2nd grader.

Have they taught you paragraphs in school yet?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
It's wrong to receive gifts for Christmas? :S

And ts which would you rather upgrade your sound or you playability. If the Special literally makes it impossible to play then upgrade it but don't forget that given a good set up you could probably get it to play quite nicely.

That's exactly why I'm asking. I've seen people make Epiphone LP Special II's sound good through a decent amp, and from all I've been told the Roland is a great little amp, and when I played with it it really sounded great for it's price.

Well I'm definitely leaning towards getting the amp now. I just wanted to hear other people's opinion before I went off and screwed myself over :S lol.

Thanks youz.
Quote by VanTheKraut
This. If whoever is buying you these is having money problems, my very first response would be "dont buy me anything, you need the cash."

EDIT:
Its really annoying

When you skip a line

Every thought

Must you REALLY constantly bash me? What's the point of replying to me if all you're going to do is bash me? You tell me it's annoying how I skip a line, well it's annoying when I'm looking for advice from people and I'm just asking kindly for sound advice, and all I get is someone who thinks I'm an ungrateful bastard and they costantly bash me??

Pointless.
Go for the amp if you want anything. The giver needs the money and the amp costs almost half the guitar.
I'd get the amp. I started with a Epi special II and a crappy Fender amp and thought about getting a new guitar but instead got a Roland Cube 30x and it actually made the Epi sound nice.
I highly recommend it.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by VanTheKraut

EDIT:
Its really annoying

When you skip a line

Every thought

Would you even bother to step back and actually try to help the user out rather then be a judgemental prick, granted it's obviously very hard to not be but what difference does it matter. It's not your responsibility to say someone can't have a Christmas gift, that's up to the giver to make that call and if they wanted to give the user a gift then how does that make them ungrateful?
Go for the cube. I've got that exact model so any questions about it, feel free to ask.
DO IT LIVE
^ would be a good starter amp, I'd also invest in a cheap Danelectro
Fish N Chips EQ pedal cost $29.99 and will give you more tonality
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I know nearly everyone is going to say right off the bat "Get the amp!"

But here's the thing to keep in mind: My main guitar is an Epiphone SG Special..

So there isn't exactly a quality guitar running into the amp.

First off, you've made your decision here, you're saying "I want the guitar, this thread is pointless"
Secondly, spending $200 on a guitar than your amp!?
You could get a $450 amp...that'd be best.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
First off, you've made your decision here, you're saying "I want the guitar, this thread is pointless"
Secondly, spending $200 on a guitar than your amp!?
You could get a $450 amp...that'd be best.

You know what? I didn't even think about that.. That's a wicked good idea. Maybe I could eh?
What would be your suggestions on an amp that would run around $400 US?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Would you even bother to step back and actually try to help the user out rather then be a judgemental prick, granted it's obviously very hard to not be but what difference does it matter. It's not your responsibility to say someone can't have a Christmas gift, that's up to the giver to make that call and if they wanted to give the user a gift then how does that make them ungrateful?

Thanks. I don't ask for gifts, my grandmother asked me what I wanted. She loves to be able to give me gifts, when she has money that she can spend. It's a joy for her.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
You know what? I didn't even think about that.. That's a wicked good idea. Maybe I could eh?
What would be your suggestions on an amp that would run around $400 US?

I assume that as you're thinking of a Schecter you're into rock/metal and everything in between?

I also assume that you aren't really too fussed about it being Valve as you were planning on getting a Roland cube, hmm, thinking about it you could get a real nice amp for the same price as you were getting that Cube for!
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SX100
It's 100 watts, but a 100 watt solid state isn't like a 100 watt valve, you won't need to have high volumes to sound good so it should be fine. It's also very versatile from what I hear.

If you are after Valve you could look into thinks like Bugera, the Peavey Valveking, maybe something like a Marshall Class 5. (Bugera being 120 watts, which is bad for bedroom! Valveking being 50/100 watts, which can be managable for bedroom but only really justifiable if you're gigging, and Class 5 is great for bedroom and recording, but not for gigs.)

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning if you don't know already, that valve watts are a hell of a lot louder than Solid state watts.
If you got a 100 watt solid state it'd be able to do gigs and you'd be able to use it for bedroom practice as that's how SS work, but if you got a valve 100 watt amp you'd be pushed to make it sound decent at low levels, as a lot of the tube sound comes from being cranked.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Dec 13, 2009,
I got my valveking for 240$...just a thought...
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
You're correct about the Valve, I'm not really worried about that at all. Before I even dwell into valves or tube amps I need to have more experience with amps. I have experience with guitars, but not much with amps..
The one you showed me through that link looks pretty decent, and the price seems within range of what I could get.
But before I'd go and buy it I'd want to play around with it, and sadly, I've never seen a Carvin at any of my music stores.
EDIT: Should probably tell you, I don't gig, just bedroom practicing, and occasional jam with friends, and even then it doesn't have to be very loud to be heard over a drumset or another amp. So I don't really need a 100 watt, but I'm willing to look into anything that anyone offers for advice.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I never mentioned anything about this being a problem.

"I've run into a money problem.."
If you like the way your Epi plays, get the amp. If you feel like you're fighting your guitar rather then play it, look into a guitar.

And honestly, if I ever told my Grandmother not to get me a gift, she wouldn't listen. Give the guy a break.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by McLeod
If you like the way your Epi plays, get the amp. If you feel like you're fighting your guitar rather then play it, look into a guitar.

And honestly, if I ever told my Grandmother not to get me a gift, she wouldn't listen. Give the guy a break.

THANK YOU... Lol.
If I were you, I'd get a good-looking Agile or Douglas guitar from rondomusic.com AND a cheap Peavey or Line 6 15W amp. I know the Agiles and Douglases are really cheap, but they play very well for the money.
Last edited by Teh S'moore at Dec 13, 2009,
Say "Give me nothing but a pair of socks" and if they insist say "Get me a Custom Les Paul if your paying that costs $4000" laugh and then say "Really, get me the amp, I don't need the guitar". There, that makes it sound nicer then doesn't it?
Haha, oh yes it sounds nicer. Well I sat down with her on sunday and we discussed it, she said she really wanted to get this for me. So, we went down to Guitar Center, and I checked out a few things before inquiring about the Roland Cube 30x. They didn't have one in stock, so they ordered one for us and should arrive at her house in around two weeks just in time for christmas. Even better, she went behind my back to make out a deal with my aunt and my mother's father (I don't consider him my grandfather, complicated story) and she's going to order me the Schecter Damien-7 sometime in January next year.
She came out and told me that she told me I had to choose just so she could keep the guitar (or if I'd chosen the guitar, the amp) as a surprise. Talk about an awesome grandmother? I'm extremely grateful, just a by the way, to all those who said I was ungrateful.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Must you REALLY constantly bash me? What's the point of replying to me if all you're going to do is bash me? You tell me it's annoying how I skip a line, well it's annoying when I'm looking for advice from people and I'm just asking kindly for sound advice, and all I get is someone who thinks I'm an ungrateful bastard and they costantly bash me??

Pointless.

+1

and props to your grandma.
Quote by headbangerbuggy
That is the most incomprehensible post I have ever seen. LEARN TO GRAMMAR.

Quote by steven seagull
Then it IS blues, just angrier, louder and more pissed off
A crappy guitar through a good amp can sound good. A good guitar through a crappy amp will sound like crap. Figure the rest out your self.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut

EDIT:
Its really annoying

When you skip a line

Every thought

In my school they teach us to double space everything for our work.