Page 1 of 2
Hello there,
Id appreciate if you could clear up some questions regarding this amp.
It only has 3 knobs regarding tone and 1 volume , would that be a problem at making up a tone , is it less functional becouse of that?
Does it have distortion/ overdrive?
Are there pedals with different effects that i could use with it?
Thanks
Quote by Defyant1911
Hello there,
Id appreciate if you could clear up some questions regarding this amp.
It only has 3 knobs regarding tone and 1 volume , would that be a problem at making up a tone , is it less functional becouse of that?
Does it have distortion/ overdrive?
Are there pedals with different effects that i could use with it?
Thanks

Are you fairly new to amps?

Basically, the Class 5 is a vintage-style valve amp, and it doesn't have the same kind of controls as you might expect for say, a solid state practice amp.

It's a 'non-master volume' amp, which, put simply means it doesn't have any distortion circuit (most modern amps use the preamp valves to create extra overdrive).
The only way to overdrive the Class 5 without pedals is the old-fashioned way - turn the volume up. The louder it gets, the more distorted it gets.

And tone knobs etc really aren't that important in this kind of amp, it's all about plug-in-and-rock simplicity. My amp, which is in a sesne the bigger brother of the Class 5, only has two knobs - tone and volume. All I have to do is turn on the amp, leave both knobs at about 11 o'clock, plug in my pedalboard and play.

This style of amp is only really suited to rock and blues players though, don't be expecting metal tones out of it any time soon.
Quote by kyle62
Are you fairly new to amps?

Basically, the Class 5 is a vintage-style valve amp, and it doesn't have the same kind of controls as you might expect for say, a solid state practice amp.

It's a 'non-master volume' amp, which, put simply means it doesn't have any distortion circuit (most modern amps use the preamp valves to create extra overdrive).
The only way to overdrive the Class 5 without pedals is the old-fashioned way - turn the volume up. The louder it gets, the more distorted it gets.

And tone knobs etc really aren't that important in this kind of amp, it's all about plug-in-and-rock simplicity. My amp, which is in a sesne the bigger brother of the Class 5, only has two knobs - tone and volume. All I have to do is turn on the amp, leave both knobs at about 11 o'clock, plug in my pedalboard and play.

This style of amp is only really suited to rock and blues players though, don't be expecting metal tones out of it any time soon.

Great explanation.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Thanks a lot for the explanation mate.
Yeah ,im new to amps.
Im not looking into metal, i play rock mostly.
Could you get for example two different guitar settings with this amp, say Joe Perry / Slash?
ive been looking at Behringer Behringer X 70 bucks with lots of effects. Can i plug it into the amp and use the effects from there?
Also is distortion the same as overdrive?
Quote by Defyant1911
Thanks a lot for the explanation mate.
Yeah ,im new to amps.
Im not looking into metal, i play rock mostly.
Could you get for example two different guitar settings with this amp, say Joe Perry / Slash?
ive been looking at Behringer Behringer X 70 bucks with lots of effects. Can i plug it into the amp and use the effects from there?
Also is distortion the same as overdrive?

The Class5 will give you one tone, which will sound vaguely similar to Joe Perry and Slash, but you'd need an overdrive pedal of some sort.

If you're new to the world of guitar gear, I would suggest you avoid amps like the Class 5 for the time being.
Although they seem simple, they're also very limited and frankly, a pain in the arsea t tmes. You'll need a bit of experience to really get the most out of them (you often need to manipulate your guitar's knobs to really control them, for example).

I'd be looking at something like the Vox AD30 for now. It's not a valve amp, but it models lots of famous amps, so you'll be able to get fairly close to whatever tone you want. There's even ready made preset tones for 'Walk This Way' and 'Sweet Child O Mine'.
Tons of fun, and it actually sounds pretty good. It'll also give you an idea what kind of amps you prefer which will guide your amp buying in the future.

By the way, 'overdrive' pedals are designed to replicate the natural distortion you get when you crank a valve amp (quite smooth sounding and warm), while 'distortion' tends to be a little harsher and less organic. Two different approaches to the same thing, really.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 13, 2009,
I don't get the point of the Marshall Class 5. Marshall isn't exactly known for it's clean or low gain sounds, and 5 watts is still far too bollock loud for bedroom/apartment jamming, but still may or may not keep up with a drummer(certainly not doing lower gain sounds).

It'd be great if it had a built in attenuator like the AC4TV, or at least a Master Volume. Without it, it's more than a bit naff. Too loud for practice, too quiet for Jamming/Gigging unless you mic up.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 13, 2009,
If he knows what he wants to play style wise, why does he need more versatility than a quality amp that covers all of his requirements???

Edit: ^@ Kyle62
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
Last edited by les_kris at Dec 13, 2009,
I checked the sound of it and it really suited my needs. Crunchy tone true tube tone.
Could you reccomend me a OD pedal and can i use effects pedals with the Marshall, if so could you reccomend me one please?
Thanks a lot, very very informative but most of the things i knew already. And ive been looking at the Vox VT15 also liked it a lot but id prefer a tube amp with effect / OD pedals.
So if you could help me out with that id really appreciate it.

I play GnR
Well, i use a tubescreamer ts-808 (mines keeley modded) for those sorta sounds, but maybe the digitech hardwire tube overdrive.

Whats your budget?
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
Quote by Defyant1911
I checked the sound of it and it really suited my needs. Crunchy tone true tube tone.
Could you reccomend me a OD pedal and can i use effects pedals with the Marshall, if so could you reccomend me one please?
Thanks a lot, very very informative but most of the things i knew already. And ive been looking at the Vox VT15 also liked it a lot but id prefer a tube amp with effect / OD pedals.
So if you could help me out with that id really appreciate it.

That's cool, if you already know what sort of tone you like it's a good approach.

You can use FX pedals in front of any amp, but asome stuff (delay, reverb etc) works better in an amp's effects loop. I've never had a problem using a delay in front of my Marshall 1974x though.

Also, this amp will beat the shit out of the Class 5 any day:

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm

Don't be fooled by the lack of a Marshall logo, this sounds more like a vintage Marshall than the Class5 ever could. Absolutely stunning for £300, the only downside is you'll need to buy a cab to use it (that's at least another £100/$150, bare minimum).

Here's a great recording of the Valvepower, just to giove an idea how it sounds:
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/Bad%20Influence%2018%20watt%20valvepower.wma
Push that a little harder with a boost and you've nailed the Slash tone too....

Oh andwhen it comes to pedals, the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive is phenomenal + dirt cheap.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 13, 2009,
It is slightly uneasy for me to order "unknown" amp.
My budget is around the Marshall Class 5 - add 100-200$ ontop for pedals.
If i could archieve close to Slash tone with Class 5 + pedals id go for it. Can i?
Yes, Id look at an ibanez tubescreamer ts 808. Don't know how much that is american but have a good search as prices vary heavily.
Quote by metal_fretter
Thanks a lot.
Alright so thats good , Id rather spend on a marshall Class 5 + pedals and get near slashs tone rather than going for a non tube amp.

And les_kris,
What about an effects pedal (since class 5 doesnt have any) , like chorus ,reverb, delay is important for me, modelling other amps?

Ive been looking at Behringer X V-amp pedal , had nice rating and price is just 70$ for ever effect i wanted inside. Can you tell me anything about that?
Thanks a lot guys, big help.
Quote by Defyant1911
Thanks a lot.
Alright so thats good , Id rather spend on a marshall Class 5 + pedals and get near slashs tone rather than going for a non tube amp.

And les_kris,
What about an effects pedal (since class 5 doesnt have any) , like chorus ,reverb, delay is important for me, modelling other amps?

Ive been looking at Behringer X V-amp pedal , had nice rating and price is just 70$ for ever effect i wanted inside. Can you tell me anything about that?
Thanks a lot guys, big help.

It's a 70 dollar behringer; it's gonna sound very poor at best.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Defyant1911
It is slightly uneasy for me to order "unknown" amp.
My budget is around the Marshall Class 5 - add 100-200$ ontop for pedals.
If i could archieve close to Slash tone with Class 5 + pedals id go for it. Can i?

To some extent yes. The Class 5 is a nice little amp but will be too fizzy and thin for a Slash tone - it only has a little 10" speaker as opposed to the 12" most guitarists favour. Plug it into a 4x12 and boost it, and you'll get a similar sort of tone.
To be honest, I was very unimpressed with the Class5. Yet another half-arsed Marshall product to cash in on the low-wattage bandwagon.

But seriously, there's a lot of people on this forum who've bought Valvepowers and love them - please don't buy the Class5 just because it says 'Marshall' on the front, buying something for the name is one of the biggest mistakes people make. Let me demonstrate why:

Class5 (£300): 5 watt combo, 10" speaker, made in England (printed circuit board), cheap components, solid state rectifier

Valvepower (£300): 18 watt head, made in England (hand-built and point to point handwired), high quality components (Mullard mustard caps etc), tube rectifier, power scaling (cranked tone at any volume)
I also need the amp for quet use , thats why im getting a pedal aswell.
And if i spend 300 on valvepower i need to spend money on cab aswell.
Its mainly for practice i doubt ill ever crank up that amp.

Could you reccomend me an effects pedal please (~200$ or less , would be nice if you show me cheaper one and say 180$ one)
1. dont buy the behringer for any reason other than as a joke xmas gift.
2. good choice on th class 5.
3. i would suggest a decent wah or reverb, for example the t-rex tonebug reverb or a vox v847 wah.
Quote by metal_fretter
Are there some decent (~200$) pedals with more effects in , id like delay aswell.
If a pedal would have OD in it would be great since i wont have to buy two separate.
Get a pedal that does one thing well rather than a million things badly. Its annoying at first, but ultimately better value for money and longeivity
Quote by metal_fretter
id really like delay and reverb altogether :/
I checked a thread similar to mine here and noted this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Line-6-Pod-Studio-UX1-with-Pod-Farm-105146328-i1427097.gc
Line 6 UX1 - seems to have all i need but my question is can i plug it into the amp to play those effects,not through the pc speakers? Is it going to be okay quality?
Would i need a separate OD pedal and if i do which ( is Purple Plexi 800 suitable for my needs) ?
Yes, the Blackstar HT-5 would be ideal. Class 5 is more "Vintage" Marshall(JTM, JMP Plexi etc.), HT-5 is more JCM based.
Quote by Defyant1911
I also need the amp for quet use , thats why im getting a pedal aswell.
And if i spend 300 on valvepower i need to spend money on cab aswell.
Its mainly for practice i doubt ill ever crank up that amp.

Could you reccomend me an effects pedal please (~200$ or less , would be nice if you show me cheaper one and say 180$ one)

Your not gonna be able to get quiet overdrive out of the marshall. You need to crank it. Buying an overdrive kinda defeats the purpose of the amp dosen't it?

Now if you buy a valvepower, it has power scaling meaning you can crank it at lower volumes.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Yeah? Can anyone here confirm? (about HT-5 )
Becouse the JCM 800 and Marshall 2555 is exactly the sound im aiming for.
Last edited by Defyant1911 at Dec 13, 2009,
Yeah great sound of the 18watt but what turns me off is that it doesnt have all the functionallity that the Blackstar has and id need to play it at low volumes - which means extra od pedal.
Couldnt i get that same sound with the blackstar thought?
i will read something on the 18 watt however.
Ty

Could you give me some more recordings of this amp(valvepower 18W)? I could only find 2 on youtube.
Last edited by Defyant1911 at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I don't get the point of the Marshall Class 5. Marshall isn't exactly known for it's clean or low gain sounds, and 5 watts is still far too bollock loud for bedroom/apartment jamming, but still may or may not keep up with a drummer(certainly not doing lower gain sounds).

It'd be great if it had a built in attenuator like the AC4TV, or at least a Master Volume. Without it, it's more than a bit naff. Too loud for practice, too quiet for Jamming/Gigging unless you mic up.

Back up there squirt. Really? not known for lower gain stuff? Its not Fender clean but come on. Never heard of the Bluesbreaker for example have you?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
The class 5 is designed to nail the lo-gain, high volume marshall tone.

This thread is becoming way too repetitive, I say class 5 plus tube screamer. To me it as close as you'll get (and thats not that close really).

Ive played a HT-5 and i have to say how bland and uncharacteristic it was. Sounded solid-state-like to me and i cant wait for a fan boy to come and give me a telling off for having an alternative oppinion!

The class 5 with a decent overdrive will give you the sounds you're asking for, plus breathing room either side.
Quote by metal_fretter
If i go blackstar i wont have to get a OD pedals and stuff to make the class 5 play at low volume.
Could you say anything about valevpower 18W 's ?
Its too high wattage for what your after imo.
Plus extra cost of the cab.....
Quote by metal_fretter
5 watt will be just as loud as 18 watt, basically. It'll sound a lot better than the 5 watts, though. Quality costs money, people, yes he would have to get a cab.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
If Either Valvepower or the Class 5 had the options Blackstar had i wouldnt ask you all those questions , id go for it.
But can the Blackstar do pretty much the same job at reaching slash tone as Class 5,Valvepower 18?
^Wrong!
If your going to mislead someone, at least makeup some fake facts to back up the silliness!
Its not going to be just as loud and with the higher headroom of 18 watts he will also need something to push the tubes at lower levels.

Unbelievable!
Quote by metal_fretter
No, the class 5 is miles ahead in tone. Just buy one already!
Quote by metal_fretter
Quote by les_kris
^Wrong!
If your going to mislead someone, at least makeup some fake facts to back up the silliness!
Its not going to be just as loud and with the higher headroom of 18 watts he will also need something to push the tubes at lower levels.

Unbelievable!

the valvepower has powerscaling.

Fail.

I also have a valve junior, which is 5 watts. guess which one i can get to overdrive at a lower volume?

however, if he's in the USA (he didn't make that clear in his other thread), there might be better, homegrown options. postage is going to be a killer. not to mention, it's going to be the wrong voltage.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
even cheaper... vox ac4tv and ibanez ts9 tubescreamer... do that or just get the class 5 and deal with having to make ur own tone... or is that too original? have we lost our originality?
Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster - Candy Apple Red
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top
-SD pickups
Boss OS-2
Boss RC-2
Way Huge Pork Loin
Vox AC4TVH and Cab
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

I think it's meant more of a recording amp. It's pretty good IMO and if I could afford it I'd buy it for studio work & practice with pedals.

TS, if you want the tone in that video (which is an awesome video ) the Class 5 + a catalainbread dirty little secret would get you somewhere very close I think.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Just bought one, and the manual itself says that what its best known for is copying that cranked marshall plexi tone, jimi hendrix style...
Page 1 of 2