Poll: Do you ignore people who don't type or speak correctly?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you ignore people who don't type or speak correctly?
Yes. I do not think that they have anything to offer.
104 61%
No. It does not matter to me.
67 39%
Voters: 171.
Page 1 of 2
I've noticed that when I ask for advice on these forums, or I suppose in general, that I find my self not paying any attention to anyone who can't type (or speak) correctly for the most part.

Like I'm not going to ignore anyone who misspells a word, or doesn't even capitalize their proper nouns and shit, but when people who go "ur best bet is 2 go and try n find another pedal" I just generally ignore them.

So, Pit. Do you not pay attention to people who can't type correctly for the most part?

Poll soon.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I, as an attractive 16-year-old girl am really turned off by guys who use incorrect grammar
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Why not just read what they've got to say before you dismiss it just because they didn't use proper grammar? Then if it's stupid, by all means dismiss it.
ya al teh tyme y?

But, seriously. It doesn't bother me unless their spelling is BAD or in lolspeak/blackspeak. I try to type with correct grammar, though.

Quote by fearofthemark
I, as an attractive 16-year-old girl am really turned off by guys who use incorrect grammar
*writes down on a piece of paper*

Oh yeah, and +1000 profile views
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Dec 13, 2009,
I tend to look down on those that don't even have the common decency to spell words and use simple punctuation properly.I'm not saying that they're idiots,but it makes them look like idiots.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I've noticed that when I ask for advice on these forums, or I suppose in general, that I find my self not paying any attention to anyone who can't type (or speak) correctly for the most part.

*myself.

I realize not everyone is a native english speaker/care so no, I don't.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
*myself.

I realize not everyone is a native english speaker/care so no, I don't.

Ah! You cheeky bastard.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Nah, I'll read and respond to it.
But if their location is an English speaking country I'm going to assume that they're some kind of moron.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Probably somewhere in the middle. I don't mind mistakes, but if they're OTT, I'll find it irritating.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

If it's bad to the point that i'm actually having to put in a notable amount of effort to read it then I might just skip and move onto the next post. If i'm trying to read a page quickly I might skip a few posts, which usually involves missing out all posts that don't have an avatar or are written horrificly (it's just a wierd habit i've gotten into). Though if i'm reading every post in the thread then I wont just skip one because of a few poorly written sentences.

Some people use their mobiles to come here aswell, and I know if I was on my mobile I wouldn't wanna be typing things out in full.
I for one at least try and spell words correctly, but grammar on an online forum honestly is one of the most redundant ways to judge someone. ill go ahead n type a sentence like this cuz its a lot faster and easier to type. Not because I'm not an intelligent person, but because it just doesn't matter. At all. Ever.
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
I try to stick to some minimum standards myself when posting unless I'm severely sleep deprived or drinking too much caffeine. I don't really care about people missing out commas and such but wen da ppl st 2 tlk liek dis rly psssss m of u no?

I tend to pay them less attention because my method of reading posts is skimming it for important words. When the only important word I can find is all consonants I'm not gonna bother trying to decipher it.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Dec 13, 2009,
After going through so many years of school teaching me to use proper grammar, yeah, I notice improper grammar, and it annoys me, but I'll still listen to the person.
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
I've put yes, but i tend to read messages with incorrect grammar because there are people who have interesting stuff to say but cant be bothered typing it properly. Though I do tend to favour people who can spell properly and use paragraphs. Grammar is one thing, but when there are no paragraphs then i really don't bother.
Call me Matthew.
it depends...

on the internet, i dont pay too much attention to grammar...ESPECIALLY when we are in informal conversation... its stupid that people feel like they should have to pick on some dude that forgot to put a comma in a sentence or misspelled something over the internet. the people that pick on people for grammar errors usually just want to fight over the forum.

At school (Especially college), at work, etc... in all FORMAL situations, grammar is important and i do pay attention to grammar in those situations.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
I'll read it anyway, regardless of grammar. Understanding it is a different story altogether though.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
I'll try to understand it. Generally you can't just ignore someone if they make a few mistakes by accident...it happens to everybody. But people should at least try to spell correctly and use propper grammar.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Ah! You cheeky bastard.

Quote by JDbbx
lol omg wtf u cnt b like tat is nt fair 4 ppl who rnt gd at grammar omg ur so intolarent

YOU WERE ALL EXPECTING A POST LIKE THIS, DON'T DENY IT

I wasn't. I'm shocked and appalled, man. Shocked and appalled.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think I only judge if the caps lock gets raped.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Not everyone in the world speaks English perfectly, and writing it is even harder.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Proper grammar is really important to me. It really makes you're sentences flow better and look more nice on the screen the page or whatever your writing on. My friends and me always use good grammar when we talk to each other.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
Proper grammar is really important to me. It really makes you're sentences flow better and look more nice on the screen the page or whatever your writing on. My friends and me always use good grammar when we talk to each other.

What thou did'st there. I doth verily with mine own eyes see it.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Kensai

I wasn't. I'm shocked and appalled, man. Shocked and appalled.

You're like the House MD of smar-

...never mind.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
You're like the House MD of smar-

...never mind.

Pssh. More like the House, MD of sucking dick.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Joemofo
Why not just read what they've got to say before you dismiss it just because they didn't use proper grammar? Then if it's stupid, by all means dismiss it.

It's already stupid because they can't speak their own language properly. There are lots of things to read, why waste my time with someone who can't or won't learn proper English?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Does anyone else sometimes feel uncomfortable when someone talks to you in 100% correct grammar when you're very much used to talking to your mates in your own dialect?
It makes me feel like i'm talking to someone who works at a call centre.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Nah, I'll read and respond to it.
But if their location is an English speaking country I'm going to assume that they're some kind of moron.
rofl +1
Your options are sort of iffy. I still take notice of them, but can't help but think that they're probably not the brightest bulb in the world.

I mean, c'mon. You grew up speaking the damn language; how can you not speak it?

However, I'm very tolerant of users who don't speak English natively, as I know how tough a second language can be.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Like I'm not going to ignore anyone who misspells a word, or doesn't even capitalize their proper nouns and shit, but when people who go "ur best bet is 2 go and try n find another pedal" I just generally ignore them.

So, Pit. Do you not pay attention to people who can't type correctly for the most part?

Poll soon.
I don't completely ignore them, but I definitely won't take:

u needz to trun the ton nobb up!1!

As seriously as:

You needs to turn your tone knob up.
Quote by herby190
I don't completely ignore them, but I definitely won't take:

u needz to trun the ton nobb up!1!

As seriously as:

You needs to turn your tone knob up.

This.

If someone refuses to use real words in his/her post, I'm assuming they're either trolling or responding to someone else with a reason to use that type of language or whatever you could call it.
If they're not doing one of the things I just mentioned, I give up...

Since this is a world-wide forum, with more non-English speaking people than native English speakers, it would be unfair to demand a 100% correct use of English grammar I think

And also, I don't take grammar and spelling as serious on the internet as I would in real life (in formal occasions that is). In formal occasions I always have to use correct grammar since I'm studying to be a translator.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

It doesn't bother me to be completely honest. Not everyone is a literary genius and people make mistakes. Others tend to type as they think- stream of consciousness. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as the point they're trying to make is put across. It's pretty pathetic when someone completely dismisses another because they use the wrong form of "there, their, they're." If anything, the grammar nazi is the ignorant one because they obviously have to pick on a grammatical mistake rather than argue against the actual points.
Quote by Gunpowder

The horrible thing is most people my age would read that and not notice any oddities about the sentence.
Call me Matthew.
Not on an internet forum anyway. Besides its fun to watch grammar nazis spaz out when you put a comma in the wrong place.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Masshuu
The horrible thing is most people my age would read that and not notice any oddities about the sentence.

Except maybe the lack of "innit?" at the end.
🙈 🙉 🙊
As long as I understand what they're trying to say then it's all gravy
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
Only if it's REALLY bad.

I put no because there are very few times where I actually skip over a post because of bad grammar.
Page 1 of 2