I want to get a Les Paul Custom in Alpine White but I dont want the white for that color. I wanna age the White guitar to a cream/ivory but quickly over the course of 1-2 years.

Okay the questions is...

1). Will I be able to age it how i want given the paint and clearcoat on it. (Link to the page of the guitar http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-100176337-i1149998.gc )

2). How long will it take and how may i influence it to yellow quicker?

Heres a Picture of What I want it to be.

Last Question

3). How may I maintain this Yellow/Cream/Ivory color after I get what I want?

Thank you for the help on this
I'd actually be interested in this as well, as I've noticed my Schecter is yellowing ever so slightly......................

FASSEDIT: I read up on the aging of guitars, and since it seems the reason guitars yellow is from UV exposure, like a person tanning, so if you really wanted you could get a UV lamp somewhere and stick you guitar under it for substantial amounts of time.
Last edited by CaptinSpalldin at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by CaptinSpalldin
I'd actually be interested in this as well, as I've noticed my Schecter is yellowing ever so slightly......................

FASSEDIT: I read up on the aging of guitars, and since it seems the reason guitars yellow is from UV exposure, like a person tanning, so if you really wanted you could get a UV lamp somewhere and stick you guitar under it for substantial amounts of time.

Thanks but it still leaves 2 questions unanswered.
1) yes, but it will probably take alot longer than say a nitro finished guitar.

2) play it, or sit it in the sun ALOT or get a ton of tobacco smoke on it. Those are the only ways I can think of.
If you're intent on aging it as quickly as possible then buy a short wavelength UV lamp, line a box or cupboard with something reflective and stick your guitar in. It'll take at least a month of almost continuous exposure to see any serious yellowing if that's a poly finish.
After its done you really wont need to do anything to maintain it. It takes decades for proper yellowing for a guitar if it stays indoors. Exposed wood will darken slightly too.
Worth mentioning that your inlays will age, knobs might too if they aren't black and the headstock probably will since its the clearcoat that yellows.

Almost forgot to mention. Don't do this just in an open room. A short wavelength UV bulb will wreck your eyesight if you look at it without sunglasses and give you very very very bad sunburn and permanent skin damage if you're exposed to it. Make sure it's done somewhere blacked out. You wont be able to see anything coming off it in daylight so be sure.
Quote by ApeWeevil
If you're intent on aging it as quickly as possible then buy a short wavelength UV lamp, line a box or cupboard with something reflective and stick your guitar in. It'll take at least a month of almost continuous exposure to see any serious yellowing if that's a poly finish.
After its done you really wont need to do anything to maintain it. It takes decades for proper yellowing for a guitar if it stays indoors. Exposed wood will darken slightly too.
Worth mentioning that your inlays will age, knobs might too if they aren't black and the headstock probably will since its the clearcoat that yellows.

Almost forgot to mention. Don't do this just in an open room. A short wavelength UV bulb will wreck your eyesight if you look at it without sunglasses and give you very very very bad sunburn and permanent skin damage if you're exposed to it. Make sure it's done somewhere blacked out. You wont be able to see anything coming off it in daylight so be sure.

Yea, Some dude told me to put Nitro finsh on it then UV it for abit. He said after he sprayed Nitro Finsh on his WITHOUT stripping the clearcoat lacquer and paint off it yellowed a good bit with the UV light then he clearcoated it to keep the Cream/Yellow/Ivory color.