I'm trying to a do a simple little chord progression, then a little solo over it, and I'm using a simple I-V-VI progession with dominant 7th chords, but then when I whack a pentatonic wank over the top it doesn't sound right.. Its all i nthe same key, like if the root note is G in the chord prog then I'm playing in G Pentatonic..

Whats wrong?
Last edited by Lollage123 at Dec 13, 2009,
One way of going about this is thinking of what notes are being played in the chord and playing around with them. Of course you don't have to stick with G B D if you're playing a Gmaj.

EDIT: That or your rhythm and timing need adjusting.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
G major or G minor Pentatonic?

A common approach with blues progressions is the make the I IV and V all dominant chords. G min pent works with that idea and can sound rather bluesy. But the G7 D7 C7 are not diatonic to any one key, so you will have some notes that work better than others depending upon the chord that's playing at the time.

You could also play a dominant7 arpeggio on the root whenever the chord changes to a new one.
Quote by Sean0913
G major or G minor Pentatonic?

A common approach with blues progressions is the make the I IV and V all dominant chords. G min pent works with that idea and can sound rather bluesy. But the G7 D7 C7 are not diatonic to any one key, so you will have some notes that work better than others depending upon the chord that's playing at the time.

You could also play a dominant7 arpeggio on the root whenever the chord changes to a new one.

He probably means G Minor Pentatonic. The Minor Pentatonic seems to be used more than the Major Pentatonic.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid