Dear mathematicians of the Pit,
I'm about to embark on semester number two of AP Calculus and am only now deciding to purchase a graphing calculator for myself
I didn't really have much of a need, for I had graphing software on my computer and some 83's at school.

Now it's between the Nspire and the 89 for me. I've heard the 89 is very reliable, and a rugged calculator, and I've heard that the Nspire has not quite lived up to its anticipation.

For anyone that has had experience with these guys, please put in your two cents. I also plan to pursue higher level calculus's and Physics's, so keep that in mind.

Thanks
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Wishful thinking much?

I say enough to your degrading spam!
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Wishful thinking much?

No, it isn't.

Although sorry TS, I can't help you, I use my old Casio graphing calculator that I picked up when I was at school. Although I'm surprised you're allowed to use them, I know we aren't. (Strictly speaking we aren't allowed to use calculators that store text)
i used to play video games with my TI83 during class.... yeah that's right . and draw silly pictures of my teachers
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by LordBishek
No, it isn't.

Although sorry TS, I can't help you, I use my old Casio graphing calculator that I picked up when I was at school. Although I'm surprised you're allowed to use them, I know we aren't. (Strictly speaking we aren't allowed to use calculators that store text)

I see! Well, not owning a calculator has allowed me to focus on the analytical way of solving problems rather than relying on the graphs. But the graphs are oh so pretty
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
TI89T

this. it was mandatory for my high school. it has the ability to program tetris on it.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Quote by Will-kun
TI89T

this. it was mandatory for my high school. it has the ability to program tetris on it.

I'm sold now, man!
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
I'm using a TI-83 Plus right now. Of course, that means I end up playing Megaman in class sometimes, but it's worth it.

Edit: I also have a racing game, a Pokemon rip-off, the first Zelda, and a bunch of minigames.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
The TI-89T is a great calculator. It has an overwhelming amount of features. It can do almost any calculus question you throw at it, which will ultimately be your downfall if that's what you use it for. Remember that the best way to do calculus and physics is with a pen and pad.
Quote by Zaphikh
The TI-89T is a great calculator. It has an overwhelming amount of features. It can do almost any calculus question you throw at it, which will ultimately be your downfall if that's what you use it for. Remember that the best way to do calculus and physics is with a pen and pad.

I agree, but a graphing calculator is a very valid tool in checking your work and whatnot.

^^and to Karvid --This is gonna reshape my school-going experience so much!
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
Ti-89T hands down. I own one, and I've had several graphing calculators in the past, but never the TiNspire. I don't know where I'd be without my Titanium
Quote by /Qwertytrewq\
I see! Well, not owning a calculator has allowed me to focus on the analytical way of solving problems rather than relying on the graphs. But the graphs are oh so pretty

Do you need the calculator for exams? If you don't, consider investing in one of the many far more versatile software packages which contain all the basic capabilites of graphing calculator and more; e.g. MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, MATHCAD. IIRC, all have fairly competitive prices for students, so you should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply for about the same cost as a graphing calculator, maybe even cheaper than that. If you're considering further education in mathematics, physics or engineering, i.e. at graduate level or beyond, then they're pretty sound investments.
TI-89 is the benchmark. Not sure about the T bit. They're solid machines as long as you can be bothered to read the bitch of a manual. Also, DRUG WARS!!!
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by LordBishek
Do you need the calculator for exams? If you don't, consider investing in one of the many far more versatile software packages which contain all the basic capabilites of graphing calculator and more; e.g. MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, MATHCAD. IIRC, all have fairly competitive prices for students, so you should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply for about the same cost as a graphing calculator, maybe even cheaper than that. If you're considering further education in mathematics, physics or engineering, i.e. at graduate level or beyond, then they're pretty sound investments.

Well, yes. There is an AP exam at the end of the year, and countless exams I will have to face in college, I assume. But I will definitely look into those gizmos.
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
Quote by /Qwertytrewq\
Well, yes. There is an AP exam at the end of the year, and countless exams I will have to face in college, I assume. But I will definitely look into those gizmos.

Fair play. Also look into GNU Octave, I've heard it's a good free alternative to MATLAB, so if you need to do any work at home without a graphical calculator, that might be a handy investment.
Quote by LordBishek
Fair play. Also look into GNU Octave, I've heard it's a good free alternative to MATLAB, so if you need to do any work at home without a graphical calculator, that might be a handy investment.

Okay, I'll definitely look into that then. Have you personally used any of the software you recommended above?
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7

You can play games on it, therefore you need this one.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
T iNspire CAS is where its at.

my AP calc teacher purchased mine for me and i use it every day.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
I would go with a TI 84. When I took the PSAT, they said we could not use the TI89 or the Nspire, so who knows what kind of problems you might run into with those two calculators. Besides the TI84 will be able to do everything you need and it will be cheaper.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by /Qwertytrewq\
Okay, I'll definitely look into that then. Have you personally used any of the software you recommended above?

Yes, I've used MATLAB (and SIMULINK which comes with it), Mathematica and MATHCAD. I'm most familiar with MATLAB because it's an industry standard piece of kit for engineering, and it can do something as simple as constructing a simple graph between a range, right the way up to designing a full engineering system using hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components.

Mathematica and MATHCAD are more for mathematical analysis, they display things in proper mathematical notation, whereas MATLAB is more powerful, but more a tool for numerical analysis than for pure maths.
Quote by itchy guitar
I would go with a TI 84. When I took the PSAT, they said we could not use the TI89 or the Nspire, so who knows what kind of problems you might run into with those two calculators. Besides the TI84 will be able to do everything you need and it will be cheaper.

they said you couldnt use it because you could simply plug in every problem from the test and the calculator would solve it.

The InSpire is definitely a useful tool
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"