Okay... I recently stopped using my pinky to anchor but now... my hand seems to be resting on the strings, on the bridge or on the guitar a bit above the strings is that anchoring?
If you can't play accurately without your hand there, then it's anchoring.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If any part of your hand is resting on the guitar, you are anchoring, unless the "anchored" part moves around freely on the face of the guitar as you play.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
no, resting your hand on the strings isn't anchoring.

Edit: P.S. you obviously didn't check here
Last edited by hendrixism at Dec 13, 2009,
It's only anchoring if your hand doesn't move. Anchoring is putting part of your hand in a single point and fixing it there. This seems like a good idea (insert "it's to have a relative point" argument here), but it creates a lot of unnecessary tension. Resting the side of your picking hand on the strings is not considered anchoring - it helps to mute the strings and as long as your hand can move as you change strings, it's safe to do. In fact, Freepower recommended doing so in one of his videos (it's on Youtube).
Interesting...

So, say I'm doing appregios...take the opening rhythm to GnR's "Civil War" for example...I usually place my pinky against the E string while I do this. Not because I get better control - I can play it just as well with my fingers curled in, but out of habit. Is this anchoring?

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of players on youtube with the whole stiff wrist thing going on with their pick hand. My picking usually comes from the wrist, though when I need greater speed or finer movements I'll flex my index and thumb and move the pick as needed.

I like to think I have good overall technique, though I'm sure there are things I need to work on. Just wondering because this is the first time I've ever heard of anchoring.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by AlphaBlackheart
Interesting...

So, say I'm doing appregios...take the opening rhythm to GnR's "Civil War" for example...I usually place my pinky against the E string while I do this. Not because I get better control - I can play it just as well with my fingers curled in, but out of habit. Is this anchoring?

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of players on youtube with the whole stiff wrist thing going on with their pick hand. My picking usually comes from the wrist, though when I need greater speed or finer movements I'll flex my index and thumb and move the pick as needed.

I like to think I have good overall technique, though I'm sure there are things I need to work on. Just wondering because this is the first time I've ever heard of anchoring.

You've been on this site for over a year. How could you have never heard of anchoring?

And you putting your pinky on the E string is anchoring.

And picking motion should always come from the wrist.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Well, whatever you do, don't do it like Michaelangelo Batio...has anyone seen how badly he anchors? Or at least it definitely seems that way...

My point is, don't just go on youtube and say "Well, they're doing it that way, so it must be right". Just because most people play a certain way, doesn't automatically mean that the technique is best.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Well, whatever you do, don't do it like Michaelangelo Batio...has anyone seen how badly he anchors? Or at least it definitely seems that way...

MAB picks with very minimal movement of the thumb and index finger and not from the wrist, so anchoring or not make no difference in that case.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Junior#1
You've been on this site for over a year. How could you have never heard of anchoring?

And you putting your pinky on the E string is anchoring.

And picking motion should always come from the wrist.

I've not been on this site as often as some would think. And it was only recently that I really got into the forums.

And thank you for your answer.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah