About 2 years but I'd been playing like atleast 6 hours a day. I was pretty obsessive at the time.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
If you consider a high school talent show a gig, then this:
Quote by Venice King
About 2 years but I'd been playing like atleast 6 hours a day. I was pretty obsessive at the time.

I haven't really had any legitimate gigs yet though.

Talent show in front of a little over a hundred people,
Cancer benefit with my church band (less than a hundred),
Church and youth group every week, in front of less than 50 each,
Christmas production at my church (around 500 people).

If you consider any of those gigs...
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Dec 13, 2009,
As I remember it. I was messing about doe about 5 years before getting a band together. I played a few songs with another guy in a pub and we decided to get it going. About 6 months later we did our first appearance which was not too bad and taught us a lot about the preparation needed for playing to an audience.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I don't have a band so I haven't done a gig. I was in one for a little while but we never practiced. Then this other one just idk. haha

I've been playing guitar since I was 13 and I'm 17 now. I really haven't made a ton of progress. I mean I can play but I haven't done much with originals or lead guitar for that matter.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
well I played Purple Haze at a talent show after like 1 or 2 years. I won that talent show, but honestly there wasn't much competition. the person that got 2nd was some guy just singing with a cd player playing the track, and all the rest was stupid stuff like dancing and such.

as for my first real gig with my band I think I'd been playing about 3 years? I'm not sure. but we played like 10 songs. One of which was an original.
5 years. First gig after 3 or 4 months, playing in a church band. Played a hundred or so church services over the first 3 years.

"Audiences" of up to 500 odd. Great way to learn; some surprisingly difficult chords and changes.
Last edited by blue_strat at Dec 13, 2009,
1st year talent show (it was kinda the reason I started playing)

Got a band together, and we had a gig in a 200 people venue.

Was nice.

All original material btw.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by The4thHorsemen
all the rest was stupid stuff like dancing and such.

Dancing is NOT stupid. Have you seen some of the things people can DO with their bodies? The time and effort and persistance and and....
I think Dance is just like music in a way that it can be both amazing or shit really easily, and both are under-rated and generalised as being for dumb people who aren't good at sciences or money making...

ANYWAY. I played at my primary school when I was 7... so that's one year! I played a duet of 'When the Saints Go Marching In' with one of the older kids. Our school didn't let people start an instrument until they were 8 or 9, but I begged and begged and wrote letters and poems and painted pictures for my principal and music co-ordinator.
Quote by food1010
If you consider a high school talent show a gig, then this:

I haven't really had any legitimate gigs yet though.

Talent show in front of a little over a hundred people,
Cancer benefit with my church band (less than a hundred),
Church and youth group every week, in front of less than 50 each,
Christmas production at my church (around 500 people).

If you consider any of those gigs...

They are all gigs.

If you play in front of people, that's pretty much a gig right there.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by mdwallin
Dancing is NOT stupid. Have you seen some of the things people can DO with their bodies? The time and effort and persistance and and....
I think Dance is just like music in a way that it can be both amazing or shit really easily, and both are under-rated and generalised as being for dumb people who aren't good at sciences or money making.

You're right. Dancing isn't stupid. My gf loves to dance and watch it ect but come on!
"both are under-rated and generalised as being for dumb people who aren't good at sciences or money making."???

Name a hundred famous musicians who've made fortunes(from their own business savvy) and are considered geniuses. Now do the same for dancers.

Musicians have dancers in their videos and stage shows. Dancers become musicians like Kevin Federline, excuse me K-Fed, or J-Lo at best.

Oh, and on topic, about a year before I played in front of the school. I should've waited longer.
Last edited by JudgeDrey at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by JudgeDrey
You're right. Dancing isn't stupid. My gf loves to dance and watch it ect but come on!
"both are under-rated and generalised as being for dumb people who aren't good at sciences or money making."???

I'd say there are a lot more poor musicians and dancers than there are rich ones. And if you look at the Education Department's (at least in Australia) attitude toward the arts in schools it is purely negative. Your final score gets marked down if you did any arts subjects and it gets marked up if you did any science subjects.

Chemistry gets marked up by 9
Music gets marked down by 5

Both include a lot of things you need to remember (formulas and such) only one includes public performance or team work.
I played a song in front of the 1st-8th grades of my school and i still haven't been playing for a year, just 5 or 6 months at the time.
I played a recital I think after about a year, and a talent show 2 or 3 years later.
Quote by mdwallin
I'd say there are a lot more poor musicians and dancers than there are rich ones.

That applies to every walk of life.
Quote by mdwallin
And if you look at the Education Department's (at least in Australia) attitude toward the arts in schools it is purely negative. Your final score gets marked down if you did any arts subjects and it gets marked up if you did any science subjects.Both include a lot of things you need to remember (formulas and such) only one includes public performance or team work.

That's not very surprising for the Education Department, anywhere. It shouldn't be that way at the high school level imo.