Here are a couple of metal songs by my band- they are generally quite thrashy, particularly Twisted Purpose. The first, Downtrodden, is a bit proggier which is the direction our other songs are heading in and which we plan to record soon. Thoughts on playing/composition/production etc. on either of the songs would be appreciated. C4C naturlich.

http://www.myspace.com/whatlurksbeneaththemire
That's pretty good! I think the clean intro is quite nice. I don't like the way your drums sound though, it's too compressed and the snare doesn't sound very natural. I like the riffs, I'm a huge fan of twin guitar interplay. The rest of the song is quite good, it sounds really compressed though. This is a pretty solid tune.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244557
I listened to Downtrodden.
It transformed from a rock song, to a thrash metal song, to a black metal-ish song LOL...with the vocals
I also agree that the drums are a little too compressed and they should be turned up a bit

I liked some riffs and the guitars quality though
Thanks for the comments, even though I can tell from the timing of the post that v2a2ng2 didn't listen to all of it :p, don't worry- it's a long song!

The drums sound a bit fake laregly because they are. This is just a home recording so we thought we wouldn't be able to record drums well enough- we're planning to do some proper recording early next year. As for the compression issue, myspace appears to have taken a lot of the subtlety out of the recordings. Thanks for your comments.
I'm listening to downtrodden
And I like it
The guitars just came crashing in...this is cool, man. Heavy, you're right, more prog than thrash I think, or something, not thrash. I love it when someone takes a common chord progression and screws with it, like you did with this progression with the 4th chord. Harmonies are cool, and I see you know this and use it to your advantage. I should stop rambling.
Vox need reverb, the growling (if you're trying to growl) isn't good...I like it as it is. But yeah, overall, they need reverb, and it sounds like there is one track of vox on one side and one on the other side, which doesn't really sound good.
You sure to a lot of or
guitar 1: riff-riff-riff-riff-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............da-da-da-riffriffriff
guitar 2: riff-riff-riff-riff-......da-da-riffriffriff-da-da-riffriffriff-da-da-da-riffriffriff
This little quiet bass thing I think is the best part, just cuz it's so unexpected.
This song changes a lot. For this part around seven thirty, the major chord doesn't sound right. Play it minor.

C4C?https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22592697#post22592697
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
heard both of your tunes and you guy sound pretty good. was this just a live session mic'd up proper (unlike mine) or done with a bit of studio time?
i liking the 2nd more cause it has that early 'tallica feel to some of the riffs.
vocals where a bit scary in the chorus but pretty cool.
good work keep it maybe if you do a show in brum we could open for you?
Cheers for the comments guys, I have a couple of questions though:

bry0n: didn't understand your growling comment you said "it isn't good... I like it as it is". Also didn't really get the guitar 1, guitar 2. Other than that, very helpful so thanks.

metal105: it was recorded at home so we basically took it in turns to lay down our tracks onto a basic multitrack recorder- plugged directly in. Except the drums which are fake. Would love to do a brum show one day- I'm a diehard Villa fan which is another excuse to make it up there! When you say the chorus vocals are scary- what does that mean as that is the cleanest bit of that one? Cheers
Quote by Richo1985
Cheers for the comments guys, I have a couple of questions though:

bry0n: didn't understand your growling comment you said "it isn't good... I like it as it is". Also didn't really get the guitar 1, guitar 2. Other than that, very helpful so thanks.

metal105: it was recorded at home so we basically took it in turns to lay down our tracks onto a basic multitrack recorder- plugged directly in. Except the drums which are fake. Would love to do a brum show one day- I'm a diehard Villa fan which is another excuse to make it up there! When you say the chorus vocals are scary- what does that mean as that is the cleanest bit of that one? Cheers

dunno some part of it had some bite to it must have been another part all together.lol.
as fot it just being a multitrack though...pretty sweet.
cheers for the add as well.
Twisted Purpose: It's a really solid track, but I prefer the normal vocals over the death metal/growling vocals. Your singer has a great voice that fits your band's style, to me the other vocals just don't belong in this track.

The panning solo's were really sick, just not the part from 4:51 to 4:56, sounded like something Wolf Hoffman (Accept) would play, but not nearly as good.

I don't know why, but I loved the screaming note at the end. It was just so unexpected, and it fit nicely.
Last edited by xHellbound at Dec 15, 2009,
I checked out Twisted Purpose. I really liked the guitar parts, totally reminded me of Megadeth. I wasn't crazy about the low growling vocals, but the other vocal parts were cool. The song sounds like a mix of Megadeth and Voivod. Solos were ok, not bad technically but they seemed kinda lifeless imo. Overall very sweet song, good work.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
listening to twisted purpose right now. begining guitar riff is really cool, then it goes to like a pretty heavy almost death metal type riff. vocals stick out a bit too much to me. have one track right down the middle, and have less effects. just some reverb and maybe a slight bit of chorus.
part at 320 the guitars are pretty sick. Although im noticing now the drums are way to quiet. all i can hear is the snare, and barely that. The panned solos are pretty sick. just finished.
pretty solid song, but im assuming this is one of your more thrash songs, as it didnt sound very prog at all to me.
MetalBass 77, thanks for your comments, very helpful and definitely happy to take production tips from you based on your song! You are correct, this is actually our only straight forward thrash song at the moment- the rest all go off on proggy tangents at some point. The other song, Downtrodden is proggier and we have some others lined up. Planning to write a couple more straight forward ones though