Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how would i go about putting pickups on a normally only acoustic guitar? is it possible?
Buy and install an acoustic pickup (or get it installed). Installation varies from pickup to pickup. K&K Pure Mini is a good choice.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by obeythepenguin
It's a bit old, but here's the "Electronics for Acoustics" thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742699

Basically you can get a removable pickup that fits across the soundhole, or you can buy a "normal" piezo system like an electro-acoustic and have that permanently installed.

Or you could buy soundboard transducers like a K&K Pure Mini, or a stick-on mic like a Schertler DYN-G.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Dec 13, 2009,
my husband uses this one, which has a slider for volume control
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP138-Virtual-Acoustic-Pickup-w-Volume-Control-100693092-i1395652.gc
and really likes the sound quality and volume. he says "it sure is loud enough!"

i bought it for him 10 years ago, and he uses it on his j-45 or his gibson 12 string, and it has never caused damage to the finish. that being said, he doesn't leave it on when he's not using it.
Last edited by patticake at Dec 13, 2009,
The reason I don't like soundhole pickups and piezos is that they still have that "zing" to them that's characteristic of an electric guitar. IMO, an acoustic pickup should accurately represent the tone of the guitar, just louder. That's why I like mics and soundboard transducers (though a combo of the two is truly awesome).
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I put a piezo in my F-75 acoustic. It sounds pretty good, you just have to replace the strap holder with a special one that doubles as an input. If you don't want something permanent, go for a soundhole pickup. Although, I prefer piezos.
Quote by obeythepenguin
In my opinion, miking an unplugged acoustic gets a much better sound.

I agree, have you considered just doing that?