Page 1 of 2
It's not even offensive, it's just funny.

The guy who is at the top of the university council is a bishop, and he wants everything to be 'more catholic'. My campus is the arts campus and policed by much more open minded and laid back people, but over at the main campus, a couple of girls had gay and lesbian pride posters taken down because they were 'disgusting' and weren't in keeping with the way the university is supposed to run.

There is a catholic vicar who comes over to my campus more often, he's younger and slightly less prejudiced, but he's still a right idiot. He talked to the LGBT and said that he wanted them to get more involved at the main campus, and he suggested 'a night where you can all dress up and watch musicals'.

My opinion, and I'm sure most of you will agree with me, is that we should get rid of religious schools. Don't get me wrong, I respect religion, but can't we just have schools that teach from a neutral perspective? I have a friend who went to catholic primary school and didn't even know what evolution was until she was 11, and I also know people who are absolutely clueless about religion because they never studied it.

It's probably not going to happen any time soon, but it all seems very antiquated.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
You should ask him out
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
You should ask him out

You really are the most smart assey person

But I'm pretty sure I didn't care about evolution until there was a cool movie about it with aliens and shit.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by rabidguitarist
It's not even offensive, it's just funny.

The guy who is at the top of the university council is a bishop, and he wants everything to be 'more catholic'. My campus is the arts campus and policed by much more open minded and laid back people, but over at the main campus, a couple of girls had gay and lesbian pride posters taken down because they were 'disgusting' and weren't in keeping with the way the university is supposed to run.

There is a catholic vicar who comes over to my campus more often, he's younger and slightly less prejudiced, but he's still a right idiot. He talked to the LGBT and said that he wanted them to get more involved at the main campus, and he suggested 'a night where you can all dress up and watch musicals'.

My opinion, and I'm sure most of you will agree with me, is that we should get rid of religious schools. Don't get me wrong, I respect religion, but can't we just have schools that teach from a neutral perspective? I have a friend who went to catholic primary school and didn't even know what evolution was until she was 11, and I also know people who are absolutely clueless about religion because they never studied it.

It's probably not going to happen any time soon, but it all seems very antiquated.

It's a cover up.
Y'know the party boy bit from Jackass? I think you know what you need to do.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by Kensai
You should ask him out

I've already pissed him off a bit I think.

I had to go to an award ceremony for my scholarship, everyone was dressed smartly, walking across the stage, shaking the bishop's hand and saying 'thankyou sir' or 'thankyou bishop'. I turned up high, dressed like a twat, tripped over on the way up the ramp, shook his hand and said 'thanks man' and pulled a really weird face. I could see the expression on his face as he was obviously thinking 'I can't believe this idiot is getting £6000 from my university'.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Kensai
You should ask him out

Yeah, he probably needs a blowjob.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Wow, I wish I knew about evolution when I was 11! That must be one smart person, way ahead of her class. I'm pretty sure I didn't learn about evolution for a while after that in public school.

Why do you care about religious schools? Theyre private so dont go to one if you dont want to. Some people dont want to go to a public school and be corrupted by crazy partying and tempted by everything that goes on there. Or they want to get a major in religious things.
Do you go to a religious school, or is the administration just heavily religious? If it's the latter, how are they doing that without getting their dicks sued off?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
There's similar controversy in Spain at the moment. The government wants the crucifixes taken down from classes in public schools, whilst other groups want crucifixes removed from all schools, public and private, and others don't want them touched at all.

I'm with you though, religion and education should be separate. People can learn about their religion privately.

EDIT: +1 to wizards?
Last edited by Confusius at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by dougl126
Why do you care about religious schools? Theyre private so dont go to one if you dont want to. Some people dont want to go to a public school and be corrupted by crazy partying and tempted by everything that goes on there. Or they want to get a major in religious things.

Because how many ****ing 4 year olds can make an educated decision in whether they want to go to a religious school or not before they get taught a load of bollocks?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Yeah, he probably needs a blowjob.

Head head?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by wizards?
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if you don't like it then don't go to a catholic school?

...sorry, it seems obvious to me.

This isn't a catholic university, it just happens that there are a ton of catholics working there.

My primary school wasn't catholic, but we had to pray every day. I had a friend who got shouted at for not praying, and his parents got involved. They were mad, they'd raised their son as a jehovah's witness, and thought it was stupid that praying was compulsory.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by Confusius
I'm with you though, religion and education should be separate. People can learn about their religion privately.

Screw that. Teach all the major religions in school.
Quote by funny_page
should have gone to JMU haha

I'd rather be taught useful information with a small bit of shit mixed in than 100% shit.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by dougl126
Wow, I wish I knew about evolution when I was 11! That must be one smart person, way ahead of her class. I'm pretty sure I didn't learn about evolution for a while after that in public school.

Hello and welcome to the United Kingdom.
Quote by Craigo

Does that include Pastafarianism?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'd rather be taught useful information with a small bit of shit mixed in than 100% shit.

i spose but I think the league tables say different
Quote by Craigo

Big ol' can of worms there. Who decides what religions are "major"?
Quote by dudetheman

Hey, it's the bishop here. I'm sorry rabidguitarist, we're going to have to let you go. You're not ... catholic enough for us.
Call me Matthew.
Quote by funny_page
i spose but I think the league tables say different

only for academics. I'm an arts student.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist

You have them. They are called non religious schools. Or just schools. I thought that they were the norm ?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

statistics, obviously.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
only for academics. I'm an arts student.

ahh i see!! im only joking though mate Liverpool overall is still an amazing city!!! dunno if youve been but you should try the Krazyhouse!! best club ever!
Smart people are supposed to know better that this, right?
Being a homophobe suits uneducated people living in a forrest under a rock much better.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

How the fuck is that a can of worms? There are clearly religions with more members than others. Stick with the major ones on that scale and those which are culturally relevant.
Quote by Craigo

I disagree. It's fine to teach religion from an objective point of view, understanding principles on which religions are founded, what religions exist around the world etc, but there shouldn't be one compulsory subject like Catholic Religion. Learning about religion in general could easily fit into the curriculum of other subjects like history or philosophy, but if someone wants to learn about a specific religion in depth they should do it privately.
You don't have to go to a catholic school you know I went to a catholic school and they were very open minded about religion, the priest was (probably still is) an awesome guy, had a good sense of humour, and even admitted it was hard for him to maintain faith in something/someone he can't experience in any way
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
it's a private university. if you don't like their rules, don't go. simple as.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
it's a private university. if you don't like their rules, don't go. simple as.

This is the 21st century though, maybe you can expect some tolerance from where you're receving your education alteast...
To all the people asking about religious schools and whatnot.
To my knowledge, there are no "religious" universities over here. You can study Theology in some places and every uni will have a chaplaincy but thats it.

Also, when us Brits say school, we mean compulsory education from age 4-16 not the optional further education of sixth form college (sometimes called college) from age 16+ and higher education at university which is from age 18+

I think all schools should have Religious Education lessons. RE was only compulsory up to year 9 in my school and then offered as a GCSE but it gave a neutral perspective on all the main religions. Learnt the main principles and the differences between the main religions. Same as in primary school actually. Parents could pull children out of RE classes if they so wished, but I think it would be better if the child did learn about all the other religions and not just their own. It would help build a bit of tolerance.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Craigo
How the fuck is that a can of worms? There are clearly religions with more members than others. Stick with the major ones on that scale and those which are culturally relevant.

Christ, calm down.

What do you mean "with more members"? More members in the country it's taught? More members worldwide? What if it's a religion like Judaism that has a very small population but is important in world history?

Too many variables. Too many religions. Trying to teach kids about every "major" world religion to any sort of adequate degree is a waste of time, when they could be taught math, science, and language.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Craigo

I agree with this, teach of all beliefs, spend a bit of time telling what each one believes and have people read a bit of whatever holy text each one follows, the more people are educated about different religions the better off they'll be in choosing/rejecting it.
Quote by Confusius
I disagree. It's fine to teach religion from an objective point of view, understanding principles on which religions are founded, what religions exist around the world etc, but there shouldn't be one compulsory subject like Catholic Religion. Learning about religion in general could easily fit into the curriculum of other subjects like history or philosophy, but if someone wants to learn about a specific religion in depth they should do it privately.

Just to remind you, religion has little influence in Western Philosophy today. Or relevance. And specifically learning in depth a religion in a part of History removes the point of History.

Regardless, why should they do it privately? Learning the major religion promotes understanding and tolerance. It's not the school going 'BELIEVE IN JESUS' it's saying 'this is what Christians believe, this is what Muslims believe...'
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Christ, calm down.

What do you mean "with more members"? More members in the country it's taught? More members worldwide? What if it's a religion like Judaism that has a very small population but is important in world history?

Too many variables. Too many religions. Trying to teach kids about every "major" world religion to any sort of adequate degree is a waste of time, when they could be taught math, science, and language.

Yeah there really aren't that many religions that you might just as well give up instead of trying to fit the biggest ones into the "major" religion category and then teach about them to people.

We teach about some religions in sweden, it works fine.
I think religious schools are a good idea. I may not be religious, but if somebody truely beleives in there faith and wants to raise there kids in the same way, I've got not problem with it. I went to a Church of England primary school and they taught us well, I don't think my education would have differed had I had gone to a non-religious school.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by mr freezy
I think religious schools are a good idea. I may not be religious, but if somebody truely beleives in there faith and wants to raise there kids in the same way, I've got not problem with it. I went to a Church of England primary school and they taught us well, I don't think my education would have differed had I had gone to a non-religious school.

My high school was the only blue ribbon school of excellence in a hundred miles and it was catholic. They didn't like me too much, but at least I got the best education I could get.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Christ, calm down.

I am calm.

I outlined that the major religions should be taught which are known by members alongside those which are culturally relevant, so why are you asking me 'but what about Judaism?' Seriously?

I learnt Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and Sikhism at school. Should of done Buddahism, but you're not gonna get everything perfect but that's a hell of a load better than remaining ignorant of clear cultural communities in my own country, and the rest of the world for that matter.
Page 1 of 2