Hi all!

I'm relatively inexperienced with brands of basses(although I've owned one for about 7 years) would suit my needs, so I'm here digging for some info as I tried searching and couldn't find much.

What I'm looking for is an acoustic bass, preferably under $2000 to $2500ish(max) or so. I know Martin make one or two and Tacoma makes a few good ones as well. I'll mainly be playing it fingerstyle to draw out that really rich, smooth, warm, bassy goodness. What other brands should I be taking a look at?

Fender and Ibanez also make some, but I'm not quite sure I trust them since their steel string acoustic guitars vary from okay to mediocre compared to other brands. I would somewhat assume that their build quality would transfer over to an acoustic bass as well...?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
you're inexperienced with basses and you're going to spend 2000-2500 on one?? Don't you think itd be smarter to get one for 200-500 and see if you like it? Just my opinion.
At that price, look at the Warwick Alien. I've had my hands on a prototype model a few years back and it was gorgeous. Plus Mike Inez of AIC uses them

The problem with cheaper ABGs is tone and volume issues. I find the tone on the cheaper ones to be substandard to the point where only a pick style is really viable as opposed to a fingerstyle approach. Obviously my opinion.

There's also the Dupont B4E. However, that runs at £1675, so may be a little out of your range. Very good amplified and acoustic tones and very good playability.
Quote by hellbasser
you're inexperienced with basses and you're going to spend 2000-2500 on one?? Don't you think itd be smarter to get one for 200-500 and see if you like it? Just my opinion.

I've never seen an acoustic bass under $1700(the Martin 15 series acoustic bass), so I assumed that the entry level price would be high since it's not as common of an instrument. My max budget is $2000, but of course, I would like to spend less as long as I get a well built instrument that I like.

It's not that I'm inexperienced with playing bass and all that(I know I'm going to put it to good use as well). Just the more technical knowledge of brands and such. Perhaps I should make that a bit clearer.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
At that price, look at the Warwick Alien. I've had my hands on a prototype model a few years back and it was gorgeous. Plus Mike Inez of AIC uses them

The problem with cheaper ABGs is tone and volume issues. I find the tone on the cheaper ones to be substandard to the point where only a pick style is really viable as opposed to a fingerstyle approach. Obviously my opinion.

There's also the Dupont B4E. However, that runs at £1675, so may be a little out of your range. Very good amplified and acoustic tones and very good playability.

Thanks for the info! I'm really looking to get a nice smooth sound using the fingerstyle approach because it'll blend in much better with most of the stuff I play/listen to.
Equipment:

ohhh I'm sorry man, did not really see the acoustic bit there ;P
sorry about that. Anyways, good luck, and keep the groove goin my man
The Warwick and the Tacoma (if you can find one) are probably going to be your best bet. Your assumptions about the low end Fenders and Ibanez are correct, although the more expensive Ibanez are ok for the price, I found them at least comfortable. Michael Kelly's are ok, I'd say comparable to the higher end Ibanez's, but you get what you pay for. I've played a few Breedlove's I thought were ok, so they might be worth checking out too.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks for the help guys! My only concern with the Warwick Alien is that it's made of laminate. I could get get the Tacoma or Martin which is cheaper and all solid wood, but I don't know if that's nearly as relevant in the acoustic bass world. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some of these to try.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Thanks for the help guys! My only concern with the Warwick Alien is that it's made of laminate. I could get get the Tacoma or Martin which is cheaper and all solid wood, but I don't know if that's nearly as relevant in the acoustic bass world. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some of these to try.

What kind of music will you be playing? Are you looking for amplified tone for gigging/recording, or are you going for the best acoustic volume and tone possible?

That kind of coin puts you in range of a used Takamine B-10. Acoustically it's not loud, but makes up for that in its plugged in tone. Definitely smooth, rich, warm, bassy goodness.
You're also within a budget to be looking at used Taylor's (Kline guitars). And a somewhat new comer (and much less expensive) to the acoustic crowd is Boulder Creek, with their new suspended bracing system. Supposedly very nice basses.
http://bouldercreekguitars.com/EBR3-N4F_2.html

Taylor
http://www.kleinguitars.com/kleinacousticguitars.htm

Takamine B-10
Hmm... type of music varies a lot for me. Definitely nothing harder than say... Switchfoot. I'll probably break out some earth wind and fire though.

I'm going to want more acoustic volume as I'm mainly a bedroom player who gigs every once in a while. I would also prefer fretted basses as opposed to fretless.
Equipment:

I'm going to give the Takamine B-10 a +1, they have one in one of the music shops that i frequent and it's the perfect mix of electric bass and double bass. It's fretless so you get that mwah tone and it blends in well because of a really warm tone. Looks freaking awesome aswell.

Your best bet is probably going to be a tacoma thunderchief though, it's the loudest and best acoustic bass out there that isn't extremely hard to find IMO.

Also, with your sig, would i need a humidifier if i lived in australia? right now it's pretty hot (20-30 C) but sometimes the weather changes drastically in a day etc. And we've just started to break out of a drought.
Quote by captivate
I'm going to want more acoustic volume as I'm mainly a bedroom player who gigs every once in a while. I would also prefer fretted basses as opposed to fretless.

If you love beautiful hand crafted instruments and want to spend ~2K, the Taylor AB2 in the link should be on your list. If I were looking for a third acoustic and had the coin to drop,
Taylor would be up there.
That being said, you can spend a lot less for a decent instrument. Tacoma, Breedlove, Takamine G series, Boulder Creek... all under a grand.
Quote by obeythepenguin
EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've heard good things about Michael Kelly basses, though I've never had a chance to play one for myself. MusiciansFriend has this one for $319.99.
Yeah, MK's are great. I have the fretless dragonfly, and it's absolutely beautiful. Goes for under $700 new.

There's no reason you should spend over $1000, let alone $2000.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Bass First

Also, with your sig, would i need a humidifier if i lived in australia? right now it's pretty hot (20-30 C) but sometimes the weather changes drastically in a day etc. And we've just started to break out of a drought.

That will depend more on your location in Australia. Along the coast, you actually might need a dehumidifier. If you're farther inland then you'll need a humidifier for sure. If you have a central heating system in your home(and use it), the period you turn it on will most likely be when you need to use it.

Safest bet is to just pick up a cheapo $10 hygrometer at your local hardware store. They should carry one.

hope that helps.

Quote by OtamotPuhctek
If you love beautiful hand crafted instruments and want to spend ~2K, the Taylor AB2 in the link should be on your list. If I were looking for a third acoustic and had the coin to drop,
Taylor would be up there.
That being said, you can spend a lot less for a decent instrument. Tacoma, Breedlove, Takamine G series, Boulder Creek... all under a grand.

The taylor's do look quite nice. I wonder if i'll be able to get my hands on one to try. But yeah... I'll probably spend under $1000. I just wasn't sure what the market entry price was.
Equipment:

I just bought an acoustic ibanez today I love it. I paid 250 for it but the list price is 500. I think you can get it for 300 at guitar center.

2 grand seems like a whole lot to spend on an acoustic bass. They're really not that expensive unless you're looking for like an Ovation or some shit
Last edited by Paul Colt the B at Dec 14, 2009,