I was wondering if I could get a suggestion from people on this website. I have a Zoom G2.1U Pedal and I like its simulation of the Marshall JCM800, but I always use the signal booster in the pedal because it gives me the sound I want. I was wondering if there is an amp that sounds like that but also has a clean channel. If it matters the music I play is pretty much like Van Halen, Motley Crue, and Dream Theater.

Thanks in advance.
Are you looking for a head or a combo? And what is your price range?
Marshall JCM 800 2205/2210

Probably also:

Marshall JCM 900
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall JVM

If you have more money there are Splawn amps which would sound like that.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp

If you can afford a Splawn, I say go for it. If not, maybe a Peavey 6505+ (emphasis on the "+") or a Peavey JSX
I'm looking at a head or stack. I live in Florida and there are plenty of music stores. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Budget is also not an issue, but I wouldn't go higher then the 6505+.
Last edited by Frankenstein316 at Dec 13, 2009,
6505+ is not really what you want me thinks. It can do those bands you listed but it is more of a metal chugging machine.

Also, you are saying your budget is not a problem but no higher than what $1,400?

A head and speaker cab is a stack.
Are you also considering combos?

Quote by JesusCrisp

Probably also:

Marshall JCM 900
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall JVM

+1 all good choices. You can get a used Splawn for $1,100 so they are not THAT expensive. A used Quick Rod for $1200 and a decent 212 cab is what I would do and not because that is what I have

(hit up your local craigslist and report back)
Bugera 6262 Head, I am so happy with mine. Great for things like Van Halen and metal/classic rock. They fixed the reliability issues i f'ing love mine.
Bugera 6262

Roland Cube

BC Rich Warlock with EMG 81 85

Ibanez rg770dx
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why does everyone keep saying they have fixed everything? There are documented cases in the last part of this year that say otherwise. Are the amps coming out with the power tubes biased now?

Well they fixed the old issue of the cheap plastic clip thingy, and every new product will have problems. And every product has some duds. I have had no probs with mine and i love the tone i can achieve from it.
Bugera 6262

Roland Cube

BC Rich Warlock with EMG 81 85

Ibanez rg770dx
Quote by JesusCrisp

Probably also:

Marshall JCM 900
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall JVM

man, i hate to tell you this, but in the states you can get some splawn models like the nitro for cheaper than a couple of those marshalls
Quote by GrisKy
man, i hate to tell you this, but in the states you can get some splawn models like the nitro for cheaper than a couple of those marshalls

I think he means used though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by GrisKy

I don't know much about the prices in the US.

However, I guess a Splawn would be a better option then.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by RetroBasement
Well they fixed the old issue of the cheap plastic clip thingy, and every new product will have problems. And every product has some duds. I have had no probs with mine and i love the tone i can achieve from it.

They fixed the cheap plastic clip that was melting with a metal one in the ones I've seen...but the tube bias problem seems to be the reason the new Bugera's are ending up in the repair shop.

Quote by GrisKy

+1

I had the chance to play a Splawn for the first time a couple weeks ago...it was amazing.
Quote by Frankenstein316
I was wondering if I could get a suggestion from people on this website. I have a Zoom G2.1U Pedal and I like its simulation of the Marshall JCM800, but I always use the signal booster in the pedal because it gives me the sound I want. I was wondering if there is an amp that sounds like that but also has a clean channel. If it matters the music I play is pretty much like Van Halen, Motley Crue, and Dream Theater.

Thanks in advance.

There are options but most are expensive - Splawns, Bogners, the new EVH amp, 5150s (which have a clean, but it's only OK), Soldanos. Basically the whole roster of high end channel switchers are trying to be EVH + cleans.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
If the 6505 is for chugging then that's not what I want. I'm more into the 80s rock. It sounds silly that I contradicted myself with the budget remark. I'm still looking for a job, so I don't have the money now. So budget really doesn't matter, it will just take some time. I really don't want a combo, I'm looking for a stack, preferably with tubes.
If you're willing to save more, a Splawn Quickrod stack sounds very definitively 80's rock to me. Plus the cleans are pretty good on the newer ones. The prices are also a little more reasonable than say a Soldano Lucky 13 or something like that.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

The Splawn definitely sounds good, but I want to be able to try the amp in a store instead of ordering online.
Quote by Frankenstein316
The Splawn definitely sounds good, but I want to be able to try the amp in a store instead of ordering online.

That is the big problem.

That said, very few people who have ordered them have been disappointed.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Yeah, even though the recomendations people give on this site will be very helpful I would like to form my own opinion since people have their own tastes. To me you can't get a good idea on how a amp sounds through youtube. That is why I like going to samash and trying the different amps.
Quote by JesusCrisp

Probably also:

Marshall JCM 900
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall JVM

+1.

If you have a limited budget, then the JCM 800 2205 or 2210 is what you want. (50 and 100 watts)

But if you wanna go all out, get a Splawn clone. They are higher quality.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Weeping Demon - who are the Splawn cloners?

Edit: ha ha I see what you were saying now. I thought you were saying that there were clones of Splawns that were higher quality.

Quote by Frankenstein316
Yeah, even though the recomendations people give on this site will be very helpful I would like to form my own opinion since people have their own tastes. To me you can't get a good idea on how a amp sounds through youtube. That is why I like going to samash and trying the different amps.

^smart actually.

It will be hard to find a Splawn to play but it is worth it if you can. Lifetime warranty, exceptional build quality, tone for days, and an owner who really cares about his customers. I bought mine used and Scott Splawn still treats me like I'm his best customer.

I think you said you are in Florida. Find out how far away these guys are from you - I think they are in Orlando. They'll have other kick ass amps to try out too.

Rock Solid Amps
FL. 954.791.8307
www.rocksolidamps.com
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 14, 2009,
I will second the personal thumbs up for Scott. He's been very responsive and totally helpful every time I've dealt with him, delivered everything on time and to spec, and the amps sound great.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

on a side note, TS if you play in a christian band, or maybe you play for a church or something along those lines, tell Scott when/if you decide on going with a Splawn amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Weeping Demon - who are the Splawn cloners?

Edit: ha ha I see what you were saying now. I thought you were saying that there were clones of Splawns that were higher quality.

^smart actually.

It will be hard to find a Splawn to play but it is worth it if you can. Lifetime warranty, exceptional build quality, tone for days, and an owner who really cares about his customers. I bought mine used and Scott Splawn still treats me like I'm his best customer.

I think you said you are in Florida. Find out how far away these guys are from you - I think they are in Orlando. They'll have other kick ass amps to try out too.

Rock Solid Amps
FL. 954.791.8307
www.rocksolidamps.com

Thanks, that sounds like a good place to go to. However, they are almost 300 miles away. If I am ever in that area I will definitely check it out. For now I will probably stay local, but I will keep my eye open for those amps. If you could name a store like that near the Orlando area I would really apreciate it.
Last edited by Frankenstein316 at Dec 15, 2009,