I posted a thread yeastarday about mids and their effect on metal tone. Every1 said u must have mids for many reasons, ok accepted. But it just doesnt sound good at all when i turn up my mids. i will post a soundclip to show all of the non believers.

I also dont understand, if bands like metallica have (that sound), and when i turn down my mids my amp sounds just like them, how come their guitars still cut thru the mix?
Don't they use more than one amp live?
eh.

They have A LOT of high end gear to get good sound and cut through.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
When you play super loud, your ears hear less mids. Thus you gotta raise them. Also, when you are playing with a band, same thing, you hear less of yourself. You can't cut though with a band with little mids. Metallica stuff cuts through because it's a studio album. Live it's a different story. It doesn't sound middy when you raise mids with a loud band.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Your guitar tone will sound differently in a mix as it does on its own. The mids won't sound so bad in a mix
If you want to play at home with your mids cut, by all means, do it, I like to cut them sometimes if I want a nice metallicatype sound on my own. But if you play in a band, just raise them. It won't sound bad, truts me.
I'm kinda in between on mids. I like playing with cut mids as well as with mids at 5. However I can't stand raising them past 6 ish, for metal that is. When I play loud it sounds better with mids at 5ish then little mids. I never played with a band, but I hear to use medium bass a decent mids, so you can also let the bass guitar thicken the sound.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
You're using an amp that's voicing should already have a lot of mids. By "cutting" the mids, you're not really scooping them completely out, you're just evening out the EQ on them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Dec 13, 2009,
ooh i like the answers u lot have given me a lot more than previous ppl, who just say "no u can cut mids its wrong dnt ever do it"!!!
it does depend on your amp aswell as MC said a naturally middy amp may need to cut the mids abit and vice versa at home if it gets you the sound you want then do it but in a live situation push them back up to about 4 or 5 and for more modern metal/metalcore have them at around 6-7 but for at home it's really is subjective so up to you
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
LOL I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE U DNT LI3K L0L

Anyway, yeah, there I didn't wanna repeat.
Here, I wanna say that you need mids because otherwise it sounds really boring to the listener...

I find EQ and gain turned up (on several amps) kills your mids. IE even out your mids out with your other settings.
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Banana Wedgie
LOL I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE U DNT LI3K L0L

Anyway, yeah, there I didn't wanna repeat.
Here, I wanna say that you need mids because otherwise it sounds really boring to the listener... because I find EQ and gain (on several amps) kills your mids. IE even out your mids out with your other settings.
none of this made any sense whatsoever.
Im setting my mids somewhere between 4,5 and 5,5 and I started at 3.... so mids are pretty necessary in band situations, maybe because my bands tends to sound like mastodon... but we started as a thrash- prog band..
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Your mids is, by far, the most important knob on your amp; especially when you play hi-gain. Spend a lot of time with that little knob, and it will reward you with awesome tones.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Guitar is a midrange oriented instrument, and your entire tone is built off of your mid frequencies. If you cut the mids to hell, it's just killing all of your tone. For a rhythm sound, I run my mids almost at 10 and it gives it that humongous djenty sort of sound. Now I'm not saying everyone should crank the mids completely, but taking them much lower than 4 or 5 is useless, sure your playing might sound a little cleaner, but it's just a crutch and it'll hinder you in the future.